USMNT Qualified for WC

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Yup now let’s hope they get in a good group and not the Group of Death.

I reckon it'd be good if it's US, Qatar, Germany, and Chile. As for England, I'm hoping for a group of England, Mexico, South Korea, and Uruguay. I think that's a group England can more than manage.

Bigdog

Reaction score
I reckon it'd be good if it's US, Qatar, Germany, and Chile. As for England, I'm hoping for a group of England, Mexico, South Korea, and Uruguay. I think that's a group England can more than manage.
Actually trade Qatar for Tunisia and Chile for Ecuador. I don’t think the US and Germany can be in the same group since they are from the same pot. Same with Mexico and Uruguay. Those two along with the US and Germany are in the same pot.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Actually trade Qatar for Tunisia and Chile for Ecuador. I don’t think the US and Germany can be in the same group since they are from the same pot. Same with Mexico and Uruguay. Those two along with the US and Germany are in the same pot.

Tunisia and Ecuador would be suitable for the US. I could see Holland being pitted against the US. It'd be an interesting matchup considering neither were at the last WC.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
England, US, Iran and play-in winner out of Wales, Scotland and Ukraine.
Tough but fun group.

No easy outs.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
For our non-American posters. The US has quietly become of the most athletic teams in the tourney.
This isn't 4 years ago with a bunch of aging MLS guys.
A ton of young guys playing and even starring in Europe
United States projected starting lineup (4-3-3): Turner (GK) — A. Robinson, M. Robinson, Zimmerman, Dest — Adams, Reyna, McKennie — Pulisic, Pepi, Aaronson.

Depending upon how technical England wants to be, US may be the most athletic team in its group. England's team selection has long been questionable.
But England has the roster to win it all if they pull the right strings and will be favored to advance out of this group quite easily. USMNT would be very content with a runners up berth.

I have seen plenty of Wales(I'm ancestrally Welsh), Scotland and Ukraine but I definitely need to watch Iran more.

Majic

Reaction score
Couple of fun facts:

Last time England played on opening day in a World Cup was....1966

England have never beaten any of their group opponents in A World Cup

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
I imagine US will be fairly happy with draw
After 4 years ago we are just happy to be qualified but two Euro sides and Iran (in Qatar) won't by any means be easy.
I still think US will be the 2nd best team and should advance if they play well.

joseephuss

Reaction score
Couple of fun facts:

Last time England played on opening day in a World Cup was....1966

England have never beaten any of their group opponents in A World Cup

I don't think England have ever faced Scotland, Wales or Iran in a World Cup Finals before.

joseephuss

Reaction score
For our non-American posters. The US has quietly become of the most athletic teams in the tourney.
United States projected starting lineup (4-3-3): Turner (GK) — A. Robinson, M. Robinson, Zimmerman, Dest — Adams, Reyna, McKennie — Pulisic, Pepi, Aaronson.

Depending upon how technical England wants to be, US may be the most athletic team in its group. England's team selection has long been questionable.
But England has the roster to win it all if they pull the right strings and will be favored to advance out of this group quite easily. USMNT would be very content with a runners up berth.

I have seen plenty of Wales(I'm ancestrally Welsh), Scotland and Ukraine but I definitely need to watch Iran more.

I think Steffen will end up being the starter barring anymore injuries. Other than that, the proposed lineup seems likely.

Fortunately since the WCF isn't until November, McKennie has plenty of time to recover from his broken foot and be fit for the competition.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
I think Steffen will end up being the starter barring anymore injuries. Other than that, the proposed lineup seems likely.

Fortunately since the WCF isn't until November, McKennie has plenty of time to recover from his broken foot and be fit for the competition.
Def a possiblity, Steffans issue is he sits at Man City behind Ederson and has battled back spasms.

Turner is playing regularly and looking very good in the Qualifiers.
I def think those two both play during the group round.

Carson

Reaction score

Was not impressed with Steffen his last two games at all. I know playing goalie is tough as hell ... I just didn't like what I saw.

Bigdog

Reaction score

Pepi might not be the starter but Figuero. The guy just seems score. Pepi has cool down and they may just put Pulsic there or Weah. Reyna probably should be pulling the strings in midfield instead of out wide. As far as goalie, US is blessed with 3 good ones. It should be interesting. I wouldn’t sleep on Iran. England should win this group but you never know in the game of soccer. The best teams don’t always win.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Pepi might not be the starter but Figuero. The guy just seems score. Pepi has cool down and they may just put Pulsic there or Weah. Reyna probably should be pulling the strings in midfield instead of out wide. As far as goalie, US is blessed with 3 good ones. It should be interesting. I wouldn’t sleep on Iran. England should win this group but you never know in the game of soccer. The best teams don’t always win.
9 is def the biggest question mark but Pepi probably has the best mix of current situation (if not form where he's struggled) and long-term viability.
Bundesliga playing time currently and only 19 years old.

Ferreira is the Pepi replacement at FCDallas and likely next in line. I think they'll both play but Pepi has been higher regard both by FCD and also by the USMNT "thus far".

9 is our weakest spot currently and we need one of these kids to come through.
Pulisic is a decent false 9 but he is far better at left wing with a scoring threat at the 9.

Bigdog

Reaction score
9 is def the biggest question mark but Pepi probably has the best mix of current situation (if not form where he's struggled) and long-term viability.
Bundesliga playing time currently and only 19 years old.

Ferreira is the Pepi replacement at FCDallas and likely next in line. I think they'll both play but Pepi has been higher regard both by FCD and also by the USMNT "thus far".

9 is our weakest spot currently and we need one of these kids to come through.
Pulisic is a decent false 9 but he is far better at left wing with a scoring threat at the 9.
Agree. 9 is the weakest spot the US has.

csirl

Reaction score
Aside from England, its a weak group, which gives USA a chance to advance.

joseephuss

Reaction score
Def a possiblity, Steffans issue is he sits at Man City behind Ederson and has battled back spasms.

Turner is playing regularly and looking very good in the Qualifiers.
I def think those two both play during the group round.

By November, neither guy will be getting regular playing time at their respective clubs. Turner is moving to Arsenal this summer and will be used sparingly as most back up goalkeepers do in the EPL.