...UT baseball vs UT football

ibis

Benched
Reaction score
I am a Season ticket holder to UM football,baseball,and basketball...I like UM baseball the best...over the last 20 years,a generation actually,I've seen the Horns show up at Mark Light...long story short...they have given the Canes all they could handle...I've been to Texas only once...a Cotton Bowl where Miami made Texas quit...for me....the respect is with UT baseball...the football team just doesn't have the nuts...

SoTex

Giddy Up
Reaction score
ibis said:
I am a Season ticket holder to UM football,baseball,and basketball...I like UM baseball the best...over the last 20 years,a generation actually,I've seen the Horns show up at Mark Light...long story short...they have given the Canes all they could handle...I've been to Texas only once...a Cotton Bowl where Miami made Texas quit...for me....the respect is with UT baseball...the football team just doesn't have the nuts...

OK......I'll take the bait:
I was at that Cotton Bowl game. UT was overmatched. UM should have been playing for the National Championshop that year, but they blew a game late in the season. UT was not even a pre-season top 25 that year. They played way over their heads that season and won the SWC. Miami was a much better team and blew them out. Do you base your "nutless" opinion of UT football on this game alone? Just curious. You're entitled to your opinion and I'm not posting to get into an argument. That is something I don't do.

Roughneck

Reaction score
ibis said:
Well there's still a possibility that you might be able to see that up close and in person this season, as the 2 teams very well might meet up in a Sugar Bowl showdown. That is if Miami doesn't lose another game.

ibis

Benched
Reaction score
SoTex said:
OK......I'll take the bait:
I was at that Cotton Bowl game. UT was overmatched. UM should have been playing for the National Championshop that year, but they blew a game late in the season. UT was not even a pre-season top 25 that year. They played way over their heads that season and won the SWC. Miami was a much better team and blew them out. Do you base your "nutless" opinion of UT football on this game alone? Just curious. You're entitled to your opinion and I'm not posting to get into an argument. That is something I don't do.
....probably an overstatement on my part...Texas baseball is flat out great...as good as the Canes have been...4 National Championships since 83...Texas has been better...they play H A R D...as for the football team...the Cotton Bowl game and to me...they've looked soft against OU...

ibis

Benched
Reaction score
Roughneck said:
Well there's still a possibility that you might be able to see that up close and in person this season, as the 2 teams very well might meet up in a Sugar Bowl showdown. That is if Miami doesn't lose another game.
...I don't like THIS Canes team against Wake,let alone UT....

joseephuss

Reaction score
ibis said:
....probably an overstatement on my part...Texas baseball is flat out great...as good as the Canes have been...4 National Championships since 83...Texas has been better...they play H A R D...as for the football team...the Cotton Bowl game and to me...they've looked soft against OU...

Doesn't UT only have 2 baseball championships since '83? The thing about UT is they have such a long history of success in baseball. The record for most World Series appearances. A great program with a number of successful coaches. Probably one of the top 3 programs of all time.

In football, they are probably top 10 since they haven't won a championship in over 30 years.

ibis

Benched
Reaction score
joseephuss said:
Doesn't UT only have 2 baseball championships since '83? The thing about UT is they have such a long history of success in baseball. The record for most World Series appearances. A great program with a number of successful coaches. Probably one of the top 3 programs of all time.

In football, they are probably top 10 since they haven't won a championship in over 30 years.
..yes Miami has more,but Texas has won more often head to head...

SoTex

Giddy Up
Reaction score
ibis said:

I agree. The UT baseball progam has always been great. The good players stay home instead of going to Oklahoma. Speaking of OU, the last 5 years have been tough to watch in football. I don't think there is a huge talent gap, OU just has a mental edge and superior coaching. The tide will turn eventually. It always does. UT still leads the series overall.

mr.jameswoods

Reaction score
ibis said:

I don't even equate college football and baseball on the same level. College baseball is like college softball as far as most students are concerned. This isn't a diss of baseball. I love baseball and the MLB but college baseball is not a spectator sport in the least bit and every student at UT would trade every one of their college World Series title for another national championship in football.

Case in point, Arizona State has a great college baseball team but most people in Tempe let alone Phoenix are unaware of that but everyone remembers ASU's appearance in the Rose Bowl in 1996 and their beating Nebraska that year.

The only two real spectator sports in college are football and basketball; everything else is just a scholarship.

ibis

Benched
Reaction score
mr.jameswoods said:
I don't even equate college football and baseball on the same level. College baseball is like college softball as far as most students are concerned. This isn't a diss of baseball. I love baseball and the MLB but college baseball is not a spectator sport in the least bit and every student at UT would trade every one of their college World Series title for another national championship in football.

Case in point, Arizona State has a great college baseball team but most people in Tempe let alone Phoenix are unaware of that but everyone remembers ASU's appearance in the Rose Bowl in 1996 and their beating Nebraska that year.

The only two real spectator sports in college are football and basketball; everything else is just a scholarship.
...guess you've never been to Boston for the Bean Pot...