UT Players Soft

JonCJG

Reaction score
It this is a repost mods please delete.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/writers/don_banks/02/27/texas/index.html

Within NFL personnel circles, Texas quarterback Vince Young is this year's flashpoint for the renewal of an old debate: Why do so many highly touted Longhorn players seem to be such risky bets when it comes to the upper echelons of the draft?

Young, the celebrated and ridiculously gifted centerpiece of the national champion Longhorns, is considered a top-five pick in this year's draft and one of the more unique talents in recent draft history. And yet the track record of underachieving UT players who have gone early in the first round still looms over him.

Though Young already has many fans among NFL coaches and personnel officials, there are questions about his unusual throwing motion and how he would fit into a more traditional NFL-style offense. Now there's even controversy surrounding whether he did or didn't score painfully low on the league-administered Wonderlic intelligence test at the NFL Scouting Combine in Indianapolis last week.

But the bigger picture is that Texas has produced so many first-round disappointments in recent years that the very widely held perception within the league is that many Longhorns stars aren't ready for the rigors of the NFL.

Texas has had two players drafted in the first round in four of the past five years and is expected to make it five out of six this year with Young and safety Michael Huff. All told, seven Longhorns have been taken in the draft's top 10 in the past nine years, the best mark in college football over that span.

But consider some of the names on that list:

• Running back Cedric Benson went fourth to Chicago in 2005, but a contract holdout and a midseason knee injury kept him from making an impact for the playoff-bound Bears.

• Receiver Roy Williams was selected seventh by Detroit in 2004, and while his numbers have been decent (99 catches, 1,504 yards and 16 touchdowns in 27 games), he has only four 100-yard receiving games, and his impact has been far less than the Lions had hoped.

• Offensive tackle Mike Williams went fourth to Buffalo in 2002 and was released by the Bills last week after four disappointing seasons in which his play was often characterized as either too soft or sub-par. Williams represents a major draft bust for Buffalo.

• Cornerback Quentin Jammer was selected one spot behind Mike Williams, going fifth to San Diego. Jammer has been a starter for the Chargers and has been solid if unspectacular most of the time. But for a No. 5 overall pick, his impact quotient has been disappointing.

• Offensive tackle Leonard Davis was the second pick in 2001, just behind Michael Vick. Davis, however, was moved to a less demanding guard position in his first three seasons with Arizona and only switched to the pivotal left-tackle slot in 2004.

• Running back Ricky Williams saw the New Orleans Saints give up their entire draft for the right to choose him fifth in 1999. Williams has been a very productive pro when he has played, but his story has had more than its share of setbacks amid the successes.

• Cornerback Bryant Westbrook was taken fifth by Detroit in 1997, but he has never come close to living up to that lofty draft slot.

Some league personnel evaluators fault the Texas strength-and-conditioning program, and others say there's a "country club atmosphere'' on campus, with the entire program being the toast of Austin and treated royally at all times.

"There's probably a reason why Vince Young is the first Texas player to enter the draft as a junior,'' said one NFL defensive coordinator. "Nobody wants to leave there. It's so easy. So comfortable. When they do get to the league, those guys just aren't as tough as they should be. Mike Williams was soft. Roy Williams has played soft.''

Huff, the top-rated safety in this year's draft and a probable top 15 pick, is very familiar with the perception that Texas players find the NFL challenging after the insulating environment of Austin.

"It is nice there,'' Huff said Sunday at the combine. "It's kind of our own little NFL town. All the fans love us. Everywhere around the city, restaurants and everywhere, people know us and just love us. I'm sure in the NFL, fans kind of question you and they don't love you as much until you start winning for them. But in Austin, you play for them, they love you.''

Huff said he and his fellow Longhorns know they must deal with Texas' recent track record of first-round disappointments and address the trend as part of their pre-draft screening process.

"I've definitely heard about that perception, because it's been around for a while now,'' Huff said. "And the higher we go in the draft, the more people will be looking at us and kind of wanting us to fail. So it's kind of on us to take the program on our shoulders.''

Six Longhorns were invited to this year's combine. Besides Young and Huff, three other Texas players have a chance to be selected somewhere in the draft's top three rounds: defensive tackle Rodrique Wright, offensive tackle Jonathan Scott and cornerback Cedric Griffin.

Texas has not been totally devoid of successful draft picks in recent years. For the first time ever, three ex-Longhorns made the NFL's Pro Bowl this season: Detroit defensive tackle Shaun Rogers (second round, 2001), Pittsburgh defensive tackle Casey Hampton (first round, 2001) and Chicago cornerback Nathan Vasher (fourth round, 2004).

Also, former Longhorn defensive tackle Marcus Tubbs (first round, 2004) was playing solid ball in the second half of the Seattle Seahawks' drive to the Super Bowl last season, Kansas City linebacker Derrick Johnson (first round, 2005) had a fine rookie season and Tampa Bay quarterback Chris Simms (third round, 2003) led the Bucs into the playoffs in his third season and first year as a starter. Chiefs running back Priest Holmes went undrafted out of Texas in 1997 but has made three Pro Bowl teams with Kansas City.

But for now, all eyes are on Young as the questions swirl regarding his NFL future. He's an undeniable talent, but if his development as a starting quarterback is slow, some of the familiar criticism of the Texas program will no doubt surface.

"You have to ask yourself how quickly he may be able to help you,'' said a veteran defensive coordinator. "It might be a couple years before he's really ready to take over a team. Maybe the first year he sits, then the second year he plays, but is he any good as a first-time starter? The third year it's his time to play and get it done, but can a head coach hang around and still be there when that day comes?''

Finding just the right team to draft and building an offense around Young might be the key, Colts head coach Tony Dungy said.

"Vince Young is a special, special guy, and if you're willing to tailor your offense to what he can do well, people are going to have to defend things they've never had to defend before, even with Michael Vick,'' Dungy said at the combine. "He has a chance to be something special, but you have to be willing to utilize the talents he has. If you can structure it that way, he can be special.''

Atlanta general manager Rich McKay also believes that Young's unique set of skills could wind up being trendsetting over the long haul.

"He's a big man with a big arm,'' McKay said. "In 10 years, I believe you're going to see a lot more Vince Youngs and Michael Vicks in the game. You don't see it now, because people are scared of [their style of quarterbacking].''

What NFL personnel evaluators might be a little timid about when it comes to Young is the University of Texas' less-than-stellar record of turning out first-round picks who develop into high-pedigree NFL stars. The Longhorns' recent history of draft-day misses hardly works in Young's favor.

Qwickdraw

Benched
Reaction score
I told the world right here last year that Cedric Benson will be a bust and I still believe that. He does everything well, but nothing spectacularly. Bad selection for the Bears especially given Thomas Jones is a better RB anyhow and even he has some shortcomings.

Having said that, Roy Williams is and will be, if given the right opportunity (ahem... Mike Martz), one of the best Wide Receivers to ever play the game.

JonCJG

Reaction score
I thought the same thing about benson. No explosion through holes and not very fast. I still can't believe he was a top 5 pick.

DanTanna

Original Zone Member
Reaction score
You really can't call Benson a bust yet(you can if you want :)). Sure he wasn't doing well when he got hurt, but maybe we should wait another season tagging him with the "Mike/Rikki Wiliams" tag.

Why have UT's players chosen the WORST agents? Bongson held out, Rikki signed a God aweful rookie contract, and it looks like VY6's "agent" is sucking it up also.

Qwickdraw

Benched
Reaction score
DanTanna said:
You really can't call Benson a bust yet(you can if you want :)). Sure he wasn't doing well when he got hurt, but maybe we should wait another season tagging him with the "Mike/Rikki Wiliams" tag.

Why have UT's players chosen the WORST agents? Bongson held out, Rikki signed a God aweful rookie contract, and it looks like VY6's "agent" is sucking it up also.
I didn't say he busted.
I said I predicted him to bust and still do. So far, it looks to be true but he still has some time to prove me wrong.

Cbz40

The Grand Poobah
Reaction score
I agree that VY is a very unique talent. I also agree that for him to be special in the NFL it will be imperative that he is drafted by a team that is willing to tailor an offense around him and his special skills.

"He's a big man with a big arm,'' McKay said. "In 10 years, I believe you're going to see a lot more Vince Youngs and Michael Vicks in the game. You don't see it now, because people are scared of [their style of quarterbacking].''

If Young is successful ..... I can see the above statement becoming fact.

From the moment the Rose Bowl Game ended this young man has had the spotlight, the hype, the micrphone pushed in his face, and hundreds of sportcasters seeking interviews maybe more than anyone in the draft including Bush & Leinart.

After the wonderlic episode this kid will be scrutinized as much as any player in recent memory. From now on every time he enters the field of play, as someone said the other morning on ESPN Radio, he will not only be examined under a microscope he will be under the Hubble telescope.

Can you imagine the pressure Young must be feeling? If he can prove his critics wrong after being through all this.....even they, his critics, will have to say......VY is truly something special.

Seven

Messenger to the football Gods
Reaction score
Cbz40 said:

Oohhhhhhh......that's what it is. A style. Geez. And to think I was scared of something else. Silly me.

bobtheflob

Reaction score
I don't understand why they call Roy Williams a bust. I know he's had injury problems, but he's really the only bright spot on a team that has been horribly mismanaged and unproductive.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score

unless one of these Quarterbacks does something like, oh i dont know, WINS we will see this "style" of quarterback be gone completely.

lzppjb

Reaction score
Stupid article. All it does is point out some of the disappointments from Texas. And even some of those are ********. Roy Williams? Detroit is horrible. Harrington? Hello? It's not all Roy's fault. Cedric Benson? He got black balled then injured. Not a bust yet. Westbrook? Didn't he bust his achille's? No one comes back the same from that injury.

Then it just mentions the good ones in passing. How about Tony Brackens? Casey Hampton? DD Lewis starts for Seattle. Cory Redding starts in Detroit.

So he's basically saying some Texas players are busts while others are good. WOW. Great analysis! I can say the same of every freaking school. Idiot.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Qwickdraw said:
Having said that, Roy Williams is and will be, if given the right opportunity (ahem... Mike Martz), one of the best Wide Receivers to ever play the game.

Sorry, I like Roy Williams, too, but he's not even close to being one of the best WRs to ever play the game. Despite his phenomenal skills, he's been a disappointment so far in Detroit.

JonCJG

Reaction score
Guys they were talking about TOP 10 PICKS not all Longhorns.

Tio

Armchair QB
Reaction score
While he uses the whole school atmosphere as his reason. The guy has no clue what he's talking about.