Utah is the real deal.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Can anybody say, after watching that game against Pitt, that Utah doesn't deserves to be mentioned in the unbeatens? I have watched the debate go back and forth on this board about SC, OU and Auburn with never a mention of Utah and I'm here to say, Utah is a great football team. Alex Smith is the best QB I've seen and there defense is incredible. There interior line play is great. This is a fine football team and it's a shame nobody gives them credit.

joseephuss

Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY said:
Can anybody say, after watching that game against Pitt, that Utah doesn't deserves to be mentioned in the unbeatens? I have watched the debate go back and forth on this board about SC, OU and Auburn with never a mention of Utah and I'm here to say, Utah is a great football team. Alex Smith is the best QB I've seen and there defense is incredible. There interior line play is great. This is a fine football team and it's a shame nobody gives them credit.

I agree.

Avery

The Dog that Saved Charleston
Reaction score
Most people here in SLC were disappointed to see Pitt get the Fiesta Bowl nod. Utah really wanted a national powerhouse to play in the BCS to prove that they are one of the best teams in the nation. I would have liked to see Texas or Auburn play them but the BCS's stupid automatic bids kind of killed that notion.

Our DT's were unstoppable last night. We would have double digit sacks if not for Palko's impressive escape abilities.

Smith is a great QB. Where that translates into the NFL I'm not sure, but he doesn't make mistakes with the ball. I wouldn't mind seeing WR Steve Savoy on our team. Reminds me a lot of Steve Smith minus the attitude.

Florida is getting a great coach. The SEC is going to be fun to watch.

jimmy40

Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY said:
Put Utah in a real conference and then talk about them. Who was the best team they played?

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
jimmy40 said:
Put Utah in a real conference and then talk about them. Who was the best team they played?

Here is Utah's 04 schedule:

Beat A&M 41-21
Beat Arizona 23-6
Beat Utah State 48-6
Beat Air Force 49-35
Beat UNM 28-7
Beat UNC 46-16
Beat UNLV 63-28
Beat San Diego St. 51-28
Beat CSU 63-31
Beat Wyoming 45-28
Beat BYU 52-21

And finally, they just beat the Big East Co-Champs Pittsburgh 35-7.

Do the math there road schollar. Nobody has played them closer then 17 points. That has not been done, by any division 1 school, in over 50 years and then only like once before. There average margin of victory for the season is almost 26 points a contest. Pull your head out guy.

joseephuss

Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY said:

Beat A&M 41-21
Beat Arizona 23-6
Beat Utah State 48-6
Beat Air Force 49-35
Beat UNM 28-7
Beat UNC 46-16
Beat UNLV 63-28
Beat San Diego St. 51-28
Beat CSU 63-31
Beat Wyoming 45-28
Beat BYU 52-21

Do the math there road schollar. Nobody has played them closer then 17 points. That has not been done, by any division 1 school, in over 50 years and then only like once before. There average margin of victory for the season is almost 26 points a contest. Pull your head out guy.

A&M came very close to beating Oklahoma
Arizona beat Arizona St.
San Diego St. came very close to beating Michigan
New Mexico beat Texas Tech
North Carolina beat Florida St.
Wyoming beat UCLA
BYU beat ND

I think there is enough parity in the NCAA that would allow Utah to do very well in any conference.

Sure would be nice to have a playoff system and let them match up against the other unbeatens. There would be some good games.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Oklahoma beat A&M 42-35 or by 7 pts. Texas beat A&M 26-13 or by 13 pts. I watched the Utah - A&M game. Utah scored 27 in the first half and pretty much called the dogs off after that. A&M was never in it.

jimmy40

Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY said:

Beat A&M 41-21
Beat Arizona 23-6
Beat Utah State 48-6
Beat Air Force 49-35
Beat UNM 28-7
Beat UNC 46-16
Beat UNLV 63-28
Beat San Diego St. 51-28
Beat CSU 63-31
Beat Wyoming 45-28
Beat BYU 52-21

BAHAHAHAHAHAHA That's got to be the biggest joke of a schedule I've ever seen. Just about any team in the country would have beat a&m that first game, and a&m's last game for that matter. I didn't realize the Big Least still played football. You pull your head out. Sissy schedule.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
jimmy40 said:
BAHAHAHAHAHAHA That's got to be the biggest joke of a schedule I've ever seen. Just about any team in the country would have beat a&m that first game, and a&m's last game for that matter. I didn't realize the Big Least still played football. You pull your head out. Sissy schedule.

Wow, amazing. I didn't realize Jimmy stood for jackass. Grow up man. Utah is 6th in the country. They will be in the top 5 by next week. There unbeaten and they've managed to accomplish some nice things this year.

Of course, I understand if you choose to disregard all of this. It often happens when one come face to face with the fact that you've just managed to actually stick both feet in your mouth at the same time. Generally, you get two types of reaction on that. One, you realize what you've done and you accept it accordingly. The other, well, we've pretty much seen the other.

Nice!

What do you do for an honcor, dress up in a clown suit, go find the nearest circus and volunter to bit the heads of chickens?

Avery

The Dog that Saved Charleston
Reaction score
One more thing to note: Utah usually pulled their starters by the 4th quarter of most of those games.

Make no mistake: they were one of the best teams in the nation this year. We'll never know if they could have beaten an elite since they never got the chance but they did nothing to show that they couldn't beat an elite.

mr.jameswoods

Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY said:

Beat A&M 41-21
Beat Arizona 23-6
Beat Utah State 48-6
Beat Air Force 49-35
Beat UNM 28-7
Beat UNC 46-16
Beat UNLV 63-28
Beat San Diego St. 51-28
Beat CSU 63-31
Beat Wyoming 45-28
Beat BYU 52-21

The best team they played was Texas AM which was an above average team at best. Remember that Texas AM also lost to Baylor and that isn't because Baylor is good. This reminds me of the BYU debates awhile back when fans of BYU would argue that BYU deserves a bid because they used to blow out weak opponents. Pittsburgh is a solid team but they are not a top 5 calibre team in the least bit.

Consistency is what makes you great. Let Utah play in a real conference in which they have to play more than one tough opponent and see how they do. It's easy to blow out opponents when they are all terrible.

I don't feel sorry for Utah. They have a gimic offense that looks better than it is because they play weak opponents. Congrats to their win over Pitt. If you want to argue they are a top 10 team in the country or even a top 5 team; I will buy that but I don't think they are in the same calibre as OU, USC and Auburn.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
mr.jameswoods said:
The best team they played was Texas AM which was an above average team at best. Remember that Texas AM also lost to Baylor and that isn't because Baylor is good. This reminds me of the BYU debates awhile back when fans of BYU would argue that BYU deserves a bid because they used to blow out weak opponents. Pittsburgh is a solid team but they are not a top 5 calibre team in the least bit.

Consistency is what makes you great. Let Utah play in a real conference in which they have to play more than one tough opponent and see how they do. It's easy to blow out opponents when they are all terrible.

I don't feel sorry for Utah. They have a gimic offense that looks better than it is because they play weak opponents. Congrats to their win over Pitt. If you want to argue they are a top 10 team in the country or even a top 5 team; I will buy that but I don't think they are in the same calibre as OU, USC and Auburn.

Yeah James, but you also said Cal and the PAC10 was heads and shoulders above the Big12. I don't know that A&M was the best team they played. I think Pittsburgh was a pretty good team as well. If it was A&M, keep in mind that A&M beat TT (A gimic offense if there ever was one) this year. The same TT team that put it to Cal. The same Cal team that really should have beaten SC. It's not Utah's fault that they don't get to play big time teams. In truth, big schools don't like to play teams like Utah. Nobody could have predicted how good Utah would be this year. Who's going to go out of there way to change a schedule to put Utah on it? Would it surprise you to learn that Utah's strength of schedule is stronger then Auburn's?

I'm actually surprised that you, of all people, would argue Utah as undeserving. Your the person who said that the teams in the PAC10 deserve consideration based on what they've done. That power conferences like the Big12 or SEC don't mean the teams in them are better just because they play in those conferences. Are you not the one who believes that? Now, Utah doesn't deserve it because they don't play in a conference that allows them to be on TV all the time or play teams that start out ranked in the top 10 in every pre-season poll? If I'm putting words in your mouth, then I appoligise to you but seams like you should understand what I'm trying to say here. I'm saying Utah deserves to be in the same discussions of un-beatens as any of the other schools you mentioned.