News: Valley Ranch Memories: Russell Maryland

CCBoy

Reaction score
Valley Ranch Memories: Russell Maryland
http://www.5pointsblue.com/valley-ranch-memories-russell-maryland/

On the movement to move to their new world headquarters at The Star in Frisco, we’ve asked players and coaches, current and former, to share their favorite Valley Ranch stories/memories.

Russell Maryland, the #1 overall pick of the 1991 NFL Draft, was a star defensive tackle for a Cowboys team that won three Super Bowl rings in the 1990’s.

RUSSELL MARYLAND: “My first time at Valley Ranch was my introductory press conference after I was drafted. I didn’t have a pre-draft visit or anything like that.”

“We caught the first flight available after I got picked. It was late evening, early nightfall. I came into the building and walked these same hallways. The first person I remember seeing was Coach (Dave) Campo coming to shake my hand. Then I saw Coach (Butch) Davis and Coach (Dave) Wannstedt. They all shook my hand, including Coach (Hubbard) Alexander and Coach (Joe) Brodsky. We were all Miami guys. They coached at The University of Miami when I started playing there. Seeing all those Miami guys, it’s like I was home again.”

“That was one of my favorite memories, seeing them on my first trip to Valley Ranch. Then I walked into Jerry Jones’ office. He was in there waiting for me to arrive. Coach Jimmy Johnson (who also coached Russell when he played at Miami) was there. We were all smiles. My family was there with me including my mom, my dad, and my aunt. It was a neat deal because my family was surrounding me.”

“Mr. Jones was all smiles, too. He was as happy as I was. It was great. I signed on the dotted line. Then the next day I got to work.”

“I remember my locker was in the corner of the locker room with all the defensive linemen. Godfrey Myles’ locker was next to mine. On the other side were Leon Lett and Tony Tolbert. On the opposite side of the locker room were the other rookie draft picks. Alvin Harper (also drafted in the 1st round by the Cowboys in 1991) was over on that side with the wide receivers. Those guys were all talk.”

“That’s what I remember about the receivers. They would talk every morning. I was thinking, ‘Will those guys ever shut up?’ It was Alvin, Michael Irvin, and K-Mart (Kelvin Martin). They were like the Three Amigos.”

“For the first practice at Valley Ranch, I remember going very early out to the field and nobody else was out there. I thought, ‘I am going to run some 110s because I knew what the running test was going to be. I wanted to christen the field as if to say, ‘This is going to be my workspace’. I wanted to be prepared to start my NFL career.”

plasticman

Reaction score
I remember watching Cowboy practices at the Alamodome. Russell Maryland ran everywhere he went. When practice was over he would run to the locker room, more like he was barreling towards the locker room, I pity any poor fool who got in his way.

Ever see a bear run? They look slow with that lumbering gait, that is, until you see the amount of space they covered in that short period of time.

Russell Maryland was short for a DT but man! He was like a six foot bowling ball with short legs, Robert Newhouse's twin on super steroids.

He never really stood out in that many specific plays but he always had numbers in all the right places wheb you looked at stats after the game, a half dozen tackles, sack here and there, a forced or recovered fumble.

No matter where an opponent ball carrier went Maryland always seemes to be in the pile with him when everybody got back up after the whistle.

Lol everybody in his family looked like him, his parents looked like twins. Sister or brother, they all were his body type.

QT

Reaction score
The interesting thing about this draft was that the Cowboys traded up to get the #1 overall pick in hopes of landing Rocket Ishmail. The day before the draft, Rocket decides to play for the Toronto Argonauts and the Cowboys settled for Maryland.