Vanderjagt...what's his problem?

Tass

Lucky Devil
Reaction score
My goodness. I know if it were ME I'd be working hard to impress my new team and justify their faith in signing me to a big deal. Has this guy completely lost his skills overnight? Is there something to his comments on the crappy holder? Same holder last year and our kickers sucked...now a good kicker comes and he sucks too? Hmmmm...something fishy there.

BTW, I am on record as wanting Vinatieri and being upset that we didn't even talk with him.

Cowboy from New York

Reaction score
Just from the interviews that have come from this camp you can tell this guy is an odd ball. But until he starts shanking them in the later preseason games I'm not worried.

Cajuncowboy

Preacher From The Black Lagoon
Reaction score
Kickers are like high strung cats. Just plain odd. You never know what is going to freak them out and then all of a sudden they can't can't kick a football anymore.
Steve Hoffman where are you?????
You spend that kind of money on a kicker like this you would think you spend some money on a kicking coach who actually had success working with marginal, at best, kickers.

That makes no sense to me.

stealth

Benched
Reaction score
Cajuncowboy said:
Kickers are like high strung cats. Just plain odd. You never know what is going to freak them out and then all of a sudden they can't can't kick a football anymore.
Steve Hoffman where are you?????
You spend that kind of money on a kicker like this you would think you spend some money on a kicking coach who actually had success working with marginal, at best, kickers.

That makes no sense to me.

vandy has never had a kicking coach and he never will.

k19

Reaction score
They were saying during the NFL radio training camp tour that part of his deal MAY be that he's always kicked on turf and that he's kicking on real grass out there. Something about footing and how it chages on grass (divots?) where turf is all pretty much the same

k19

Reaction score
stealth said:
vandy has never had a kicking coach and he never will.

Wrong

He hired Steve Hoffman to help him in 05

Xy_Oldone

Reaction score
I am confused. Where in the heck do you get there is a problem. Jeez making mountains outta molehills. Before you say there is a problem come up with some facts.

How many points has he cost this team with missed kicks? 0

How many did he miss in our only scrimage last sat? 0

How many did he miss last year in tc? No one prob knows. WHY because it does not matter. I do not care if he makes 0 in TC. TC does not matter. Training Camp is to get the team ready and to see what we have with some of the younger players. T.O. , Bledsoe, Glenn, Vandy, they are pros. They have been in this game for a while. They will get it done when they need to. Hell Parcells is not even playing Bledsoe. Why? Because he knows that he will be fine without this preseason game and wants to see what he has in less experianced guys.

Give it a break already. Vandy is the best kicker in the game. PERIOD. Every stat points to it. Every game he plays proves it. By mid season you people that must find something to panick about will be sooo happy we signed him instead of anyone else.

stealth

Benched
Reaction score
k19 said:
Wrong

He hired Steve Hoffman to help him in 05

well i don't really call that a coach since it was completely seperate from any team and was just something he did on his own. but whatever you like.

Reaction score
k19 said:
They were saying during the NFL radio training camp tour that part of his deal MAY be that he's always kicked on turf and that he's kicking on real grass out there. Something about footing and how it chages on grass (divots?) where turf is all pretty much the same

The only time I've ever heard that argument is when it was being blown out of the water... Vandy's kicking percentage is .884 on turf, .867 on grass.

k19

Reaction score
stealth said:
well i don't really call that a coach since it was completely seperate from any team and was just something he did on his own. but whatever you like.

FOR KICKS
Whether it's because he is headed into the last year of his contract or because the Colts invested a sixth-round pick in another kicker, Indianapolis kicker Mike Vanderjagt has taken the unusual step this offseason of hiring his own kicking coach. And not just any kicking coach. Vanderjagt hired former Dallas Cowboys kicking coach Steve Hoffman, who has helped develop so many unproven NFL kickers over the years. In recent weeks, Vanderjagt has been working with Hoffman in Dallas, trying to improve his performance. It's a big year for Vanderjagt. As it is, he is scheduled to count $2.87 million against the Colts salary cap. After this season, he is scheduled to become a free agent. And he will have to battle for his job in training camp with sixth-round pick Dave Rayner, who is said to have looked impressive in the Colts minicamp.
http://www.nfl.com/nflnetwork/story/8648512

If he hired a coach to help him with his kicking then he had a kicking coach. Do we need to break down the sentence further?

stealth

Benched
Reaction score
k19 said:
FOR KICKS
Whether it's because he is headed into the last year of his contract or because the Colts invested a sixth-round pick in another kicker, Indianapolis kicker Mike Vanderjagt has taken the unusual step this offseason of hiring his own kicking coach. And not just any kicking coach. Vanderjagt hired former Dallas Cowboys kicking coach Steve Hoffman, who has helped develop so many unproven NFL kickers over the years. In recent weeks, Vanderjagt has been working with Hoffman in Dallas, trying to improve his performance. It's a big year for Vanderjagt. As it is, he is scheduled to count $2.87 million against the Colts salary cap. After this season, he is scheduled to become a free agent. And he will have to battle for his job in training camp with sixth-round pick Dave Rayner, who is said to have looked impressive in the Colts minicamp.
http://www.nfl.com/nflnetwork/story/8648512

If he hired a coach to help him with his kicking then he had a kicking coach. Do we need to break down the sentence further?

lol ur cool

k19

Reaction score
EGG said:
The only time I've ever heard that argument is when it was being blown out of the water... Vandy's kicking percentage is .884 on turf, .867 on grass.

Just repeating what was said by the "experts" who were at the camp. I dont agree with it either.

Feel free to call and argue with them, Ask for Gil Brandt 877NFLKICK

Tass

Lucky Devil
Reaction score
Xy_Oldone said:
I am confused. Where in the heck do you get there is a problem. Jeez making mountains outta molehills. Before you say there is a problem come up with some facts.

Ok, here's one: Thus far in TC he is not kicking within sniffing distance of .750

He's shanking more kicks than the cast of OZ!

Remember the old adage...'You play like you practice.'

cobra

Salty *******
Reaction score
I'm so glad we have another one of these "See, I was right! We should have made the personnel move I wanted" thread. It's been like hours since we had the last one.

Tass said:
BTW, I am on record as wanting Vinatieri and being upset that we didn't even talk with him.

Good for you. Here is your cookie.

:damn:

Xy_Oldone

Reaction score
Tass said:
Ok, here's one: Thus far in TC he is not kicking within sniffing distance of .750

He's shanking more kicks than the cast of OZ!

Remember the old adage...'You play like you practice.'

Are you a Commanders fan or something? ITS TC.. He did not miss any in the scrimage last week. Here is a number for you 100 percent. And I am sorry I have never heard that adage. But there are a million of them. IE its not over till the fat lady sings. IE Its not a game untill all the chips are on the table. So what. Bibiti Bobiti Boo - Disney.

We have the best FG kicker in the game. Maybe of all time. By the stats and the numbers and the way he has produced in the past. Did you see what we had last year? Or were you watching Commanders games?

How many threads do we need dedicated to a dead subject. Some people want to see problems. And some rather find out if there is a problem before we start beating nails. And its all pointless anyway. IF, a big IF, he does have a problem what are you going to do? Not like there are a lot of good kickers standing around waiting for a job. But I am sure in a couple of days when this thread is no longer on page one, you will start another.

Well this is my last reply to this. Feel free to panick and whine all you wish you will forget you ever started a thread like this two games into the real season.

ravidubey

Reaction score
Cowboy from New York said:
Just from the interviews that have come from this camp you can tell this guy is an odd ball. But until he starts shanking them in the later preseason games I'm not worried.

This guy is off and it's not one simple thing. I wasn't before, but I'm worried now.

Tass

Lucky Devil
Reaction score
Golly gee, guys, it must be nice to live with Dallas Cowboy blinders on. Unfortunately I actually use my brain and try to analyze what is going well and going wrong. I WISH I could be like you all and just scream "Woo-hoo Cowboys! Go git um, y'all!" but alas, I evaluate, prognosticate and yes, on occasion, pontificate. So once a-freakin-gain, telling me I'm a Skins fan or questioning my brains is in no way changing the fact that thus far, Vandy has sucked in practice. Usually if you practice poorly, you play poorly. (Sorry if I am DARING to criticize a member of the Boys.) :rolleyes: