VA's Pre-Combine Meat and Potatoes Draft

VACowboy

Reaction score
I've been persuaded that Free is our LT of the future, and I truly believe it. He played extremely well at RT when Colombo went down and, if you rewatch the divisional playoff game and focus on Free, you'll see that he turned in a stellar performance against Jared Allen.

I also think that Brewster is going to get a shot to back up guard and maybe right tackle, and Jason Williams will get every chance to work his way into sub packages and take PT away from Carpenter.

What we do have an obvious, urgent need for is an upgrade to Procter and the committee at backup C, as well as Colombo's and Gurode's eventual replacements. We sorely lack plays made at the safety position and if one of the starters goes down, we're suddenly very thin at corner (not mentioning Newman's age).

1) Maurkice Pouncey (C/OG) - 6-5, 318 - Florida
Big, athletic guy who can play any interior offensive line position. He's a mauler in the run game, pass protects well and has the agility to thrive as a blocker in space.

2) Nate Allen (S) - 6-1, 206 - South Florida
Allen is an explosive tackler with the ability to turn and shadow receivers one on one or play center field with great range--a real ball hawk with exceptional instincts, quickness and a desire to work hard and get better. He had 85 tackles and 4 INTs in '09. He would start from day one and make a dramatic difference in a defense sorely lacking dynamism at the safety position. Trade next year's 3 to move up if we have to.

3) Akwasi Owusu-Ansah (CB/S) - 6-1, 205 - IUP
Big with great quickness, closing speed and ball skills. Had 8 INTs in '08 and 2 in '09. Played CB and S interchangably and returned 9 kicks for TDs during his college career. He's the total package. The only knock against him is the small school at which he played.

4) John Jerry (OG/OT) - 6-6, 332 - Mississippi
For a huge, powerful masher, Jerry has surprisingly quick feet and good agility to pull and move to the second level. Easily the best South lineman at the Senior Bowl, Jerry spent more time at right tackle than guard and impresssed with the ease with which he made the transition. This guy is a nasty mauler who can back up three OL positions and eventually take over for Kosier or Colombo. I can see him starting as a rookie.

6) Tony Washington (C) - 6-7, 305 - Abilene Christion
Prototypical left tackle size and athleticism with great feet. He'll be a little bit of a project, but he possesses tremendous skill. Our swing tackle of the future.

7) Jeffrey Fitzgerald (DE) - 6-4, 285 - Kansas State
He was on his way to being a star at Virginia when he was forced to leave for academic reasons. A year later he joined Kansas State under former Virginia offensive line coach, Ron Prince. He's had some OTF issues, but his ability has never been questioned, and I think he's a player well worth risking a 7th-rounder for.

DFWJC

Reaction score
lol
That's some serious meat and potatoes w/ 4 of 6 big uglies.

The Realist

Reaction score
I started the Pouncey band wagon way back before he announced.

The more I think about it, the more it doesn't make sense.

Ask yourself this.......

Where do most teams acquire their backup center?

If you look around the league that answer is probably 5th round - UDFA.

Our first pick this year is a head scratcher.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
Not bad but I don't know about the 1st pick and isn't 6'7" a little tall for center? Fitzgerald sounds like the kind of player we now avoid also.

Arch Stanton

it was the grave marked unknown right beside
Reaction score
The Realist;3272323 said:
I started the Pouncey band wagon way back before he announced.

The more I think about it, the more it doesn't make sense.

Ask yourself this.......

Where do most teams acquire their backup center?

If you look around the league that answer is probably 5th round - UDFA.

Our first pick this year is a head scratcher.

Weren't they interested in drafting Unger last season? Wasn't the speculation that Gurode would have moved to LG? Pouncey might not be a bad call.

The Realist

Reaction score
Arch Stanton;3272381 said:
Weren't they interested in drafting Unger last season? Wasn't the speculation that Gurode would have moved to LG? Pouncey might not be a bad call.

What I picked up from listening to Jerry is that yes, they were interested in Unger but he said "the phone would have been ringing a lot if he was there".

You know what that means. Jerry would have traded down in a heartbeat.

Also, with all the picks we had last year we could have traded up for the price of Mike Mickens+DeAngelo Smith no problem if not less.

We aren't desperate at C or G and at 31 Kosier is in his prime.

I believe we signed Preston for a reason.

MarionBarberThe4th

Reaction score
The Realist;3272386 said:
What I picked up from listening to Jerry is that yes, they were interested in Unger but he said "the phone would have been ringing a lot if he was there".

You know what that means. Jerry would have traded down in a heartbeat.

Also, with all the picks we had last year we could have traded up for the price of Mike Mickens+DeAngelo Smith no problem if not less.

We aren't desperate at C or G and at 31 Kosier is in his prime.

I believe we signed Preston for a reason.

We never signed Duke Preston.

The Realist

Reaction score
MarionBarberThe4th;3272388 said:
We never signed Duke Preston.

Seriously?

Ah man......my bad.

Thank goodness you are so on top of things or I would have gone on thinking that.

:laugh2: :laugh1:

MarionBarberThe4th

Reaction score
And if youre not looking to upgrade Kosier or the tackle situation then what are you waiting for? Romo to demand a trade?

I do remember Gurode sucking at G, so who knows what you do w/ Pouncey. But at least youd get some young versatile talent on the OL.

L-O-Jete

Reaction score
VACowboy;3272315 said:
1) Maurkice Pouncey (C/OG) - 6-5, 318 - Florida

I can live with this if Iupati is gone.

2) Nate Allen (S) - 6-1, 206 - South Florida

Ok

3) Akwasi Owusu-Ansah (CB/S) - 6-1, 205 - IUP

Don't know anything about him.

4) John Jerry (OG/OT) - 6-6, 332 - Mississippi

I think you'd need to use your 3rd rounder (at least) for this guy... And I certainly would!

6) Tony Washington (C) - 6-7, 305 - Abilene Christion

7) Jeffrey Fitzgerald (DE) - 6-4, 285 - Kansas State

I love a draft full of "big uglies"...
Instead of the Kawasaki guy how about a LB like Angerer...

The Realist

Reaction score
MarionBarberThe4th;3272405 said:
And if youre not looking to upgrade Kosier or the tackle situation then what are you waiting for? Romo to demand a trade?

I do remember Gurode sucking at G, so who knows what you do w/ Pouncey. But at least youd get some young versatile talent on the OL.

I'm pretty sure our OL isn't quite the train wreck most make it out to be.

Do we have some age...sure....especially Flo, but OL can play to mid 30's easily.

Kosier is the brains, probably the most consistent, and the closest thing we have to a leader on the OL.

I know it's a lot of if's but if Brewster is they think he can be (RT), and if management wants to extend Kosier.........

We're shopping for depth at G that can be groomed to be a starter in 2-3 years, + depth at OT + depth at C.

With Jerry harping on continuity (which I agree with) we could be looking at a Mike Johnson, Kyle Calloway, Eric Olsen kind of draft to fill needs at G, T, C vs guys who are 1's or high 2's.

And just so we are clear we signed Duke Preston in August.

The Realist

Reaction score
MarionBarberThe4th;3272428 said:
We traded a 5th for him. Hes now a RFA and wont be brought back

Dude please stop.

First you say we never signed him.

Wrong, we did.

Then you say we traded for him.

Wrong, we didn't.

rkell87

Reaction score
john jerry most likely wont make it to the forth and we would most likely have to trade up to about #53 for nate allen

UnoDallas

Benched
Reaction score
I really think Iupati is the guy we are targeting

if he not there then I trade pick an extra pick

get Brandon Spikes, Nate Allen, or Vladimir Ducasse

C/G can be pick up later

Matt Tennant, Boston College 2-3
Eric Olsen, Notre Dame 3-4

my guy is

Erik Cook, New Mexico
Height: 6-6. Weight: 315.

Erik Cook (Albuquerque Cibola HS) played every snap in all 12 games this fall, finishing the season with 88 knockdown blocks, including 49 over the final five games. He allowed just one sack in 470 passing attempts - the most in the MWC - and had just one penalty in 836 plays this year. Cook had flawless technique on at least 80 percent of his snaps in 10 games. -

The Realist

Reaction score
I hope someone falls in love with one of these QB's and wants to trade up to 27.