Vela: Part II: Should The Cowboys Take the Rusher or the Corner?

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Part II: Should The Cowboys Take the Rusher or the Corner?
Posted by Rafael at Monday, November 29, 2010

Looking for the biggest area of need to spark a 2011 turnaround? Look on defense.

I'm well aware of the offensive line's needs, and want to see several o-linemen taking in next year's haul, and high. But I'm going to return to the question I posed in this morning's story, because the biggest reason this team is 3-8 right now, where it was 8-3 at the same point a year ago, can be laid on the defense.

The offense is actually scoring slightly more than it did in '09, despite the age and injuries to the line. It's points per game average under Jon Kitna is 23.8, slightly more than the team's average under Tony Romo. Kitna's guys have averaged 32 points per game since Jason Garrett replaced Wade Phillips as head coach.

The defense is another story:

* Points per game allowed, 2009: 15.6, 2nd overall
* Points per game allowed, 2010, 27.4, 30th overall

For more... http://www.cowboyszone.com/2010/11/part-ii-should-cowboys-take-rusher-or.html

marchetta

Reaction score
A great pass rush makes an average secondary great. Not the other way around. Take the passrusher.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
I agree take the passrusher. Depends on the players in the end though.

VACowboy

Reaction score
Who's the great pass rusher in the 5-10 range? Any of them would mean a move to a 4-3, IMO.

dadymat

I'm kind of a Big Deal
Reaction score
we have good/great pass rushers Ware, Spencer, Rat, and Butler......if the secondary could cover long enough for them to get to the QB we would fine...IMO its all in the middle....safeties and middle linebackers...maybe lee is the answer at lB but the safeties we need are not on this roster

28 Joker

28 Joker
Reaction score
big dog cowboy;3724285 said:
The game is won in the trenches.

Indeed, if you are not good up front, you will not win.

Dallas is 27th in rush offense, and the Giants, Eagles, and Commanders are continuing to stack their teams with DEs. Washington will look to add Orakpo's partner this season.

Derek Sherrod is going to creep up into the bottom half of the top 10, imo.

When will the Cowboys address this offensive line?

I think judgment day is coming this draft.

kmd24

Reaction score
41gy#;3724291 said:
Indeed, if you are not good up front, you will not win.

Dallas is 27th in rush offense, and the Giants, Eagles, and Commanders are continuing to stack their teams with DEs. Washington will look to add Orakpo's partner this season.

Derek Sherrod is going to creep up into the bottom half of the top 10, imo.

When will the Cowboys address this offensive line?

I think judgment day is coming this draft.

I've been a MSU fan for nearly 20 years and watch all their games. You could knock me over with a feather if Sherrod goes in the top ten. He's a good player, but he's never been dominant in SEC play. And he hasn't been asked to pass protect a great deal, which is going to hurt him projecting as an NFL LT.

mv09

Reaction score
Passrusher, but obviously if I could Id take neither.

You take an offensive lineman. The worst unit on the team. One of the worst o-line's in the NFL. What's the point of having an probowl QB if you can't keep him healthy. What's the point of having weapons such as Dez, Miles, and Witten if they dont have time to run their routes.

GOLDENCHILD1688

Reaction score
youve got to take the pass rusher.

a good pass rush can make an average secondary look good. its been seen time and time again.

but at the same time you dont take a good rusher and pass up on a great corner. if the talen level between the positions are similiar then take the rusher unless theres a noticeable disparity

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
There is no projected OL in the top ten this year. That could change I guess but I doubt it.

Reaction score
Well being a true shutdown CB like Peterson takes half the field away, it makes everyone else job easier.

kevinhickey

Reaction score
I would agree with the pass rusher over the corner; however, how many rushers are needed. I think our defense needs some changes to take advantage of what we currently have on our roster. We need a big nose tackle that can take on multiple blockers so the linebackers can flow to the ball carrier. Ratliff is good however, he may better be used on the outside DT positions. It didn't take Green Bay long to master the 3/4 defense. They took off when they selected a NT. If you compare our front 7 with their front 7; we are missing a true NT. There middle linebackers experience the same problems as we do. Teams attack them with the pass. Our safeties suck! They can't cover sliced bread. Now toss in our offensive line. What a mess! The problem with this draft is there are no top offensive tackles and no really big NT's in the top 10. Detroit and Buffalo would surely take a top offensive tackle ahead of us. Buffalo needs 2 tackles. There are no safeties standing out this year as well that would merit a top 10 pick. Corner seems to be the logical position since Newman is getting older and they are so expensive to sign in free agency. Next opion would be to trade down.