Vela: Training camp: A closer look at the tape

Angus

Reaction score
Training Camp
A Closer Look at the Tape

The Cowboys have broken camp at Oxnard and will begin butting heads with the Broncos tomorrow and Thursday, with two days of two-a-days scheduled.

In the meantime, here are some more crumbs of football goodness from the Chargers game:

Heavy Jumbo: Teams don’t game plan in their first preseason matches but it’s clear the Cowboys know the Chargers tendencies. On San Diego’s second play from scrimmage they went to their heavy packages, with two tight ends, two backs and just one wide receiver.

Dallas countered with a 4-4-3 package. There are several interesting aspects to the package. First, the position switch the team practiced was in effect, as Tank Johnson and Marcus Spears were the DTs and Jay Ratliff and Chris Canty were the DEs in a three point stance. Greg Ellis and Demarcus Ware were the OLBs and Bradie James and Zach Thomas were inside. Anthony Henry was the lone corner.

Both DTs exploded into the backfield, with Johnson getting the sack when the Chargers tried picking him up with a fullback. Tank threw the FB aside and wrapped up Philip Rivers.

Inside Pressure — Dallas rushed their inside backers at Tony Romo a lot during practice and this carried over to the game. Bradie James was given lots of first down blitzing responsibility and he got in free on pass plays or he got to the fullback on the offense’s side of the ball on running plays, giving Zach Thomas a free lane to the ball.

Spears Unleashed — Todd Grantham may already be paying dividends. He had two blowups on Dallas first two drives and shows much better agility than we’ve seen in the past.

Crayton Miscast — One reason to applaud Miles Austin’s strong game is that it would allow Patrick Crayton back into his ideal role as the 3rd receiver. KC Joyner mentions in Scientific Football ‘08 that Crayton had a YPA under 3.0 against “red” caliber corners (those who ranked in the top third of NFL CBs) but had a YPA over 10 against “yellow” (league average) and “green” corners (those in the bottom third).

Crayton is devastating in the middle of the field, but can’t shake the big time guys. He showed that in Dallas first two series, with two impressive catches over the middle. Both converted 3rd downs and kept drives alive.

Keep the Starting Job — The starting line of Canty, Ratliff and Spears lived in San Diego’s backfield. The group of Bowen, Johnson and Hatcher? Not so good. Hatcher could hold his point but Johnson was up and down against the run and Bowen was pushed around.

On the Line — We can handicap positions after every game but the biggest issues were for second year man James Marten and for backup center Cory Procter.

Marten was being beaten around the edge inside. When you’re working in a limited area you cannot let guys get around you. He also failed to switch on a Chargers twist, letting his guy get a free shot at Brad Johnson.

Procter lacks ballast. This was a problem last year, when big DTs and NTs pushed him into the backfield. Procter had the same problem Saturday. He got all the snaps at center, with Joe Berger working at guard but I wonder if Berger, who can also play center, will get some looks in the pivot this week.

Good Marks for the Backup Backs — The biggest question for Felix Jones and Tashard Choice entering ‘08 is their ability to block. So far, very good. Both rookies showed the will and the ability to find blizers and stop them.

Game ball – MIles Austin. We know what the Cowboys have at most of their starting spots but somebody has to step up at receiver. Austin made a strong case, running tight routes and displaying good hands. He ran a precise deep in on Dallas’ field goal drive at the end of the half. When he entered the game last year you knew he was running deep. Now, he’s putting the full repertoire together. He’s got the deep speed this team needs at the two.

Continued play at this level would be a BIG plus to this team.

Most Smug Man Today — Anthony Henry. Everybody and their dog was ready to shunt him to safety or the bench when Adam Jones was signed. Not so fast. Henry played well on Saturday and had a big goal line stop. Jones, on the other hand, was caked in rust. He missed tackles. He looked slow reacting to the ball. He drew penalties. He’s got talent, without question. But he’s not in sync with the game yet.

So what do we know? We know the coverage teams were ragged. Half of them were where they needed to be on any given play but half were slow arriving.

What we learned was that guys like Julius Crosslin, Marcus Smith and Junior Siavii have limited time on the Cowboys’ roster. But that’s not really news, is it?

http://www.blueandsilverreport.com/

cowboyz

Reaction score
yeah i noticed marcus spears played good.

he was in on that first sack by tank

then that other tackle for loss by zach

and tank doesn't look like he can hold the line at NT. he's a DT, so i think they'll let him go elsewhere next year. but he should be a disruptive force when they play 4-3 or in the nickel.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
Spears' spot really is inside, as OGs tend to be less athletic than OTs

if Austin can step up, Crayton can go back to being a 1st down machine, like in '06, when we had Glenn's speed on the outside, our O would be much better

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
Bob Sacamano;2189727 said:

if Austin can step up, Crayton can go back to being a 1st down machine, like in '06, when we had Glenn's speed on the outside, our O would be much better

I think I would prefer Hurd at the #2 as opposed to Austin.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
DaBoys4Life;2189736 said:

I'm not talking about anyone replacing Crayton, or being #2 necessarily

just someone opposite TO who can stretch the field, and open up the middle of the passing game, and thus the running game

the player who fits that profile could be Austin, and he's showing glimpses

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
DaBoys4Life;2189736 said:
Based on last year, so would I.

Based on last Saturday, I'm not nearly as sure.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
Bob Sacamano;2189727 said:

from what I saw on Saturday, he looks like a DE to me...he also looks like he is in tremendous shape...I know they've played him some in practice at NT, but he basically dominated the RT when he was at DE the other night...he ripped into the backfield rather easily on 2 or 3 plays

David

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
dbair1967;2189859 said:
from what I saw on Saturday, he looks like a DE to me...he also looks like he is in tremendous shape...I know they've played him some in practice at NT, but he basically dominated the RT when he was at DE the other night...he ripped into the backfield rather easily on 2 or 3 plays

David

Spears isn't a bad DE, he's just not much of a pass-rusher, he's an athletic guy, but for some reason he can't utilize it in the pass-rush against OTs

he has to go up against much lesser athletes inside at DT to make more plays

28 Joker

28 Joker
Reaction score
Hmm. Vela's first post about the game didn't mention Burnett or Carpenter.

This post didn't mention Burnett or Carpenter.

Halpren's review didn't mention Burnett or Carpenter.

Phillips said Carpenter played well.

Burnett made two very good plays (one forced a punt on 3rd down and one saved a TD at the time) in the sub-packages which were ignored by his critics with selective memory or short memories or just plain dumb. Plus, his good play in the sub-packages last year was ignored by some. You know, that wasn't Kevin Burnett who made 12 tackles (11 solo) in the Meadowlands last year. That number didn't lead the team. That couldn't have been Burnett in Philadelphia with 7 tackles when Dallas drilled the Eagles. That was an imposter playing against Green Bay who recorded 5 tackles.

Who remembers Burnett crushing that Denver RB in the preseason last year. You know the play where Burnett fought through heavy trash and showed his speed and made the crowd go, ohhh? He had 4 really good plays in that game.

You didn't remember it did you?

It was the preseason.

There are some people on here who are attacking Burnett on two negative plays and ignoring the two really good plays he made with the first teamers. Perhaps, Burnett shouldn't have let Hester fake him out. However, the guy ran over the SEC last year. The guy is a freaking bulldozer. The fact that a good team like S.D. took him should tell you all you need to know.

burmafrd

Reaction score
Its a bad sign for Marten if he is getting beaten inside while playing guard. Now maybe that is inexperience at the position, but still....

montgod

Reaction score
burmafrd;2189951 said:
Its a bad sign for Marten if he is getting beaten inside while playing guard. Now maybe that is inexperience at the position, but still....

I have always wondered about the Boys picking him over some other big name T's that were available at that spot. He still hasn't shown much and Free has... who was a higher pick.

Hopefully he gets it together quickly! One year to go...

adbutcher

K9NME
Reaction score
dbair1967;2189859 said:

David
:hammer:

sacase

Reaction score
percyhoward;2189842 said:
Based on last year, so would I.

Based on last Saturday, I'm not nearly as sure.

I am glad Austin is improving, but I am far from sold on him. I didn't watch the game saturday night, but people were hyping him up. I got the replay on monday and I came away less than impress. Austin only did ok vs 2nd and 3rd team defenses. I want to see him against the guys who are starters or at least will make the team.

Chief

"Friggin Joke Monkey"
Reaction score
Angus;2189303 said:
Crayton Miscast — One reason to applaud Miles Austin’s strong game is that it would allow Patrick Crayton back into his ideal role as the 3rd receiver. KC Joyner mentions in Scientific Football ‘08 that Crayton had a YPA under 3.0 against “red” caliber corners (those who ranked in the top third of NFL CBs) but had a YPA over 10 against “yellow” (league average) and “green” corners (those in the bottom third).

Crayton is devastating in the middle of the field, but can’t shake the big time guys. He showed that in Dallas first two series, with two impressive catches over the middle. Both converted 3rd downs and kept drives alive.

Good analysis.

I would feel more comfortable with Crayton coming in as the third receiver and working the middle of the field on third downs.

Hurd or Austin are capable of starting opposite Owens, IMO.

cowboyed

Reaction score
sacase;2190160 said:
I am glad Austin is improving, but I am far from sold on him. I didn't watch the game saturday night, but people were hyping him up. I got the replay on monday and I came away less than impress. Austin only did ok vs 2nd and 3rd team defenses. I want to see him against the guys who are starters or at least will make the team.

Well the person's opinion that truly counts is the receiver coach Ray Sherman - and he is very impressed with Austin based on his speed, route running, positioning of his body against defenders, high leaps and strong hands grasping Bartel's high sailing fastballs.

He will improve against first stringers as well as he has the tools and growing experience.

cowboyz

Reaction score
41gy#;2189898 said:
Hmm. Vela's first post about the game didn't mention Burnett or Carpenter.

This post didn't mention Burnett or Carpenter.

Halpren's review didn't mention Burnett or Carpenter.

Phillips said Carpenter played well.

Burnett made two very good plays (one forced a punt on 3rd down and one saved a TD at the time) in the sub-packages which were ignored by his critics with selective memory or short memories or just plain dumb. Plus, his good play in the sub-packages last year was ignored by some. You know, that wasn't Kevin Burnett who made 12 tackles (11 solo) in the Meadowlands last year. That number didn't lead the team. That couldn't have been Burnett in Philadelphia with 7 tackles when Dallas drilled the Eagles. That was an imposter playing against Green Bay who recorded 5 tackles.

Who remembers Burnett crushing that Denver RB in the preseason last year. You know the play where Burnett fought through heavy trash and showed his speed and made the crowd go, ohhh? He had 4 really good plays in that game.

You didn't remember it did you?

It was the preseason.

There are some people on here who are attacking Burnett on two negative plays and ignoring the two really good plays he made with the first teamers. Perhaps, Burnett shouldn't have let Hester fake him out. However, the guy ran over the SEC last year. The guy is a freaking bulldozer. The fact that a good team like S.D. took him should tell you all you need to know.
Vela said he would be fine in a post in the comments

"
What did I write before camp? That there are “black hats” and that Carpenter and Roy Willy were probably 1 and 1A on that list.
And everybody has to micro-analyze every sniffle and fart Carpenter makes.
He’s fine. Period. He’s entering year three. At this point last year everybody was calling for Burnett’s head. Things got real quiet with him, didn’t they?
He’s gotten a lot better and unless people expect Zach Thomas to play until he’s 50, be happy he’s put in the work and improved himself. He’ll be ready and cost effective when Dallas needs to plug him in.
Austin has been steady. But nobody had seen him do it against people in different colored shirts"