Vernon Davis

jblaze2004

Reaction score
all i can say is wow.........4.37 n the 40 thats faster then alot of the recievers....hes big, strong, and got a 42inch vertical....that for a tight end is pretty amazing...him and witten...just for get about a fb juss run 2 tightend sets, motion vernon davis to slot reciever....image a linebacker, safety or corner trying to gaurd somebody that big and fast...if their at 18, which i kno he wont but look at health miller, i would take him

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I don't know that I would play him at TE. I might just line him up in the slot with Key and Terry on the outside. Go one back set and motion him all over the field. Screw TO. Draft this guy.

RCowboyFan

Reaction score
Either way, Vernon, was already slated to go top 15 before the Combine I believe, and I think Mike Mayock said even top 10 before Combine. He will probably go top 10 for sure now and maybe even top 6-7 now.

alancdc

Reaction score
I saw this dude getting measured with his shirt off, and he looks like a pro wrestler he is so cut. Maryland didn't use him correctly.

Woods

Reaction score
RCowboyFan said:
Either way, Vernon, was already slated to go top 15 before the Combine I believe, and I think Mike Mayock said even top 10 before Combine. He will probably go top 10 for sure now and maybe even top 6-7 now.

I'm just hoping that one of the top guys slips to us at 18, assuming we don't trade down.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Natedawg44 said:
Ben Watson had similar speed when he came out

I don't know about this. I thought Ben Watson ran something in 4.5s, maybe 4.4. I could definatly be wrong but I can not recall a TE ever running a 4.3 either.

Dough Boy

Seldom Seen
Reaction score
Natedawg44 said:
Ben Watson had similar speed when he came out
What's your definition os similar? Watson ran in the 4.58 range. I can not recall another TE running a sub 4.40.

cobra

Salty *******
Reaction score
On the website nfldraftblitz, it says that Davis would not be a good fit in an offense that asks the tight end to block, run short and intermediate routes and be a safety valve for the quaterback.

Take that with a grain of salt, but it is one take on the player which would suggest that he might not fit in here.

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
Yeah, he's not a very good blocker. He was actually a bit of a disappointment at Maryland his first couple of years, until they cut back on his blocking assignments and just had him worry about being an offensive weapon. As ABQ said, you just want to use him an an H-Back and move him all over the field and create mismatches, like Gibbs uses Chris Cooley.

cobra

Salty *******
Reaction score
InmanRoshi said:
As ABQ said, you just want to use him an an H-Back and move him all over the field and create mismatches, like Gibbs uses Chris Cooley.

Now that would be cool. Fullback/TE/WR all in one. The ol' H-back. Davis does seem to be an interesting specimen for that position. I wonder how well such a thing would fit into BP's scheme. Clearly it is a part of Gibbs'.

ddh33

Reaction score
The guy is an athletic freak. Just truly amazing. Now, as others mentioned, he needs to get in the right system so that he can play up to all of that potential.

JohnsKey19

Reaction score
As impressive as his workout #s are, he's an even better football player. The guy's a beast on the football field.

boysfanindc

Reaction score
JohnsKey19 said:
As impressive as his workout #s are, he's an even better football player. The guy's a beast on the football field.

The first guy never brings him down, I have seen him carry 2 or 3 guys 5 or 6 yards on a very regular basis.

He has this move when he is hit, that he spins out and always moves forward for extra yardage.

Natedawg44

Reaction score
Dough Boy said:
What's your definition os similar? Watson ran in the 4.58 range. I can not recall another TE running a sub 4.40.
He ran a 4.41 and a 4.46 at his pro day and he ran a 4.53 at the combine. Different track at the RCA now. At 255 lbs I would say that is similar.