Very Intresting 60,000 Yard Club

dargonking999

DKRandom
Reaction score
In the NFL, only one quarterback can claim being a member of the 60,000-yard club.

That man is Dan Marino. Yes, Marino, who in my personal Eric Moneypenny opinion, is the greatest passing quarterback that has ever lived and/or breathed. Case closed. If you don't believe me, please immediately strike the years 1995 through his retirement season from your memory. Then, pull out any 1983-1989 Dan Marino highlights you can get your hands on (or, TiVo the NFL Network for old highlights if you have to). If you're still not convinced, go back and get any old Pitt films or tapes from 1980 to 1982 if you want. Marino pretty much "had it" at the highest level, even when he was 19. Except, he had ridiculous hair, and a cut-off mesh jersey. Fair enough, 1979 through 1982 wasn't a great fashion time for anyone.

However, contrary to what the NFL record book, commissioner Paul Tagliabue, or the NFL Hall of Fame Curator may lead you believe, Dan Marino is NOT the only member of the all-time 60,000-yard passing club.

Well, who is? First, you have to look at Warren Moon. And yes, that's the same "Warren Moon" that I have to always see immediately below my name in the FOXSports.com "Select an Expert" search drop box on this site.

As you remember, Warren Moon was one of the all-time greats, too. Which is clearly evidenced by being the ONLY member of the 70,000-yard club. The 70,000-yard club is what you arrive at after you throw in Warren's six seasons from 1978-83. Those seasons that everyone in the NFL front offices must have been complete and total IDIOTS for not having him on their roster. Whether that was the case or not, Moon didn't whine. He merely passed for 20,000-plus yards, set records, and won five Grey Cups in six CFL seasons as an Edmonton Eskimo.

However, there's a third member of the 60,000 Yard Club. So who is it?

3735698_36_1.jpg
Jim Kelly tossed for monster yards with the USFL's Houston Gamblers.
(Stephen Dunn / Getty Images)

Wait, Jim Kelly threw for like 30,000 yards or something ridiculous in his two Run-N-Shoot seasons in the USFL before heading to Buffalo, right? Wrong! Because I was exaggerating ...

Okay, hold on. Speaking of "Buffalo", "USFL", and the "CFL", it's gotta be Doug Flutie! Right? He's played in the USFL, NFL, CFL, and/or pretty much every pro league in North America that played with fields of 100 yards or more during the 1980s. So it's got to be a guy like that Re-nouveau-Patriot Doug Flutie that has reached success, due to a steady stream of production, and longevity, right?

Well, feel free to argue with me, but I've only accounted for 58,150 career Flutie pro yards, which wouldn't put him in the mix unless Tom Brady gets hurt in 2005.

John Elway? No way. It's not Elway or Dan Fouts. However, this third member of the 60,000-yard club's older brother played against both Elway AND Fouts.

So, who is the third member of the 60,000-yard club?

You guessed it! It's Marcus Allen's brother, Damon Allen of the Toronto Argonauts of the Canadian Football League. Allen has thrown for somewhere around 64,653 yards in his over 20 seasons up north.

Allen was a star football and baseball player at Cal St.-Fullerton in the early 1980s, playing in the same conference as UNLV's star QB and punter Randall Cunningham. In the 1984 Heisman Trophy voting, he finished 16th, not a bad showing for a guy whose school would drop football entirely in the next decade.

At 6-0, 180 pounds, there wasn't as much NFL demand for Damon Allen as there was for his brother (also a quarterback in high school). So, Damon headed north to play for the CFL's Edmonton Eskimos, who, at the time were a couple seasons removed from their Warren Moon-dynasty seasons.

He shared time in Edmonton with another future CFL great Matt Dunigan, and won a Grey Cup in 1987, (the first CFL game I ever remember seeing on TV). From there, Allen was all over the place in the CFL, moving on to Ottawa, Hamilton, back to Edmonton, the Memphis Mad Dogs (during the CFL U.S. expansion), British Columbia, and finally to Toronto, where he won another Grey Cup last season.

And while Damon Allen's location hasn't always been a constant, his production has. He's had fourteen 3,000-plus yard passing seasons (highest total: 4,840 yards in 2000). He's also had eight 700-plus yard rushing seasons (highest total: 1,036 yards in 1991), making him the only quarterback to ever run for more than 11,000 yards in a career. Take that, Cunningham. Even while turning 42 next month, he's not showing much signs of slowing down, as he's the starter again for the Argos as they defend the Cup, inching towards joining Moon as the second member of the 70,000 Yards Club.

Therefore, if you're ever in a bar, and somebody asks you who the guy with the second most passing yards of all-time is, well, you should probably go to another bar. But not before you tell him that it's not Dan Marino (who the guy probably thinks it is).

It's Damon Allen.

Mkyle

Benched
Reaction score
"However, there's a third member of the 60,000 Yard Club. So who is it?"

Duh.....everyone should know that!! It was Quincy Carter...(I think)....

Mash

Reaction score
If they are counting CFL yards they might as well count HS yards......same difference IMHO...and I'm a Canadian.

Don't get me wrong....Warren Moon was a very good QB....but just watch a CFL game if you can....its pretty bad compared to the NFL. Tucker, McGarity....Ricky Ray are all stars up there and they couldn't crack second string in the NFL.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Mash said:
If they are counting CFL yards they might as well count HS yards......same difference IMHO...and I'm a Canadian.

Don't get me wrong....Warren Moon was a very good QB....but just watch a CFL game if you can....its pretty bad compared to the NFL. Tucker, McGarity....Ricky Ray are all stars up there and they couldn't crack second string in the NFL.

One often confuse the Hall of Fame as the NFL Hall of Fame...however it is the Pro Football Hall of Fame.

High School, College, Arena League and Semi-Pro football does not fit into that category...however the AFL, NFL and the CFL do or should as they were (in the AFL's case) and do ( in the NFL and CFL) count as Pro Football....even if the CFL is no where close to the talent level or legit status as the NFL.

MapleLeaf

Maple Leaf
Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt said:
One often confuse the Hall of Fame as the NFL Hall of Fame...however it is the Pro Football Hall of Fame.

High School, College, Arena League and Semi-Pro football does not fit into that category...however the AFL, NFL and the CFL do or should as they were (in the AFL's case) and do ( in the NFL and CFL) count as Pro Football....even if the CFL is no where close to the talent level or legit status as the NFL.

... take the CFL yards and times it by .65. That should give you as good as any comparative for NFL yards. The larger field makes it easy for passers to rainbow passes to open areas of the field.

In the CFL the premium is football pad speed. The QB often throws to an area and the first to get there catches the pass. Defence or offence.

That's why Tucker is lighting up the league right now. He runs as fast as he can to wide open areas of the field. I call it the foot race league.

THUMPER

Papa
Reaction score
The CFL is NOT the NFL and should not count in a player's stats when making this type of comparison. How many CFL QBs make it in the NFL? Very few. For that matter, how many players at ANY position make the transition to the NFL? Not many and it is extremely rare to find a star among them.

The game is VERY different, the focus is all on throwing the ball, the field is wider and longer which benefits the passing game, and defenses are nowhere near the level of quality that they are in the NFL.

This is not to take anything away from Moon, who I believe should be in the HoF, but that his CFL stats really don't count for anything in the NFL or in comparing him with any other NFL QBs. Frankly, yardage totals for QBs are not a good way to measure their success or ability. A QB's job is more than simply throwing the ball. Marino was probably the best passer I have ever seen but he is not among my top-5 QBs of all-time because he lacked other qualities, that I consider of critical importance for a great QB, to the same degree as those in my top-5.

My top-5:

1. Otto Graham
2. Johnny Unitas
3. Roger Staubach
4. Sammy Baugh
5. Joe Montana

Those guys won games and won championships and dominated the eras they played in. They had it all and found ways to win games. Tom Brady is that kind of QB but it remains to be seen if he can maintain it over an extended period of time.

Marino is like Sonny Jurgenson, Dan Fouts, or Ken Anderson, a great passer but can't seem to win big games because he lacked key elements of leadership that those in my list possessed.

Just my opinion though.

CanadianCowboysFan

Lightning Rod
Reaction score
Mash said:

I agree, it is unfair. Damon Allen's accomplishments here are legendary but when you throw every down, it is easy to rack up the yards.

As for stars up here that couldn't crack Ken Yon Rambo ;)

Seems like our entire receiving corps from the early 2000s is playing in Canada, lol

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
Guys who have a shot at 50,000 to 60,000

Favre - he may be over 50,000 have to look it up.
Manning - may be on pace to break NFL record
Bledsoe has 40,000 at age 33 should break 50,000 with a few good seasons. (I still think he can go 3500-4000 yards with our current weapons in 2005.

coach316

Reaction score
Marino is like Sonny Jurgenson, Dan Fouts, or Ken Anderson, a great passer but can't seem to win big games because he lacked key elements of leadership that those in my list possessed.

I disagree that what Marion or Fouts lacked were leadership. What they lacked were key elements of a complete football team. Each were surrounded with minimal talent in the run game and mediocre defense. Those were the reasons they couldn't win championships.....not their leadership.

Elway didn't win his rings until the arrival of Terrell Davis and a run game and an above average defense.

Big Country

Rolling Thunder
Reaction score
Nors said:
Guys who have a shot at 50,000 to 60,000

Favre - he may be over 50,000 have to look it up.
Manning - may be on pace to break NFL record
Bledsoe has 40,000 at age 33 should break 50,000 with a few good seasons. (I still think he can go 3500-4000 yards with our current weapons in 2005.

Man Bledsoe with 3500 yds + - that would be nice to hang a hat on... especially with the projected running attack on board for this season...

Kilyin

Reaction score
Even while turning 42 next month, he's not showing much signs of slowing down, as he's the starter again for the Argos as they defend the Cup, inching towards joining Moon as the second member of the 70,000 Yards Club.

That's the most telling quote right there. Vinny Testaverde could probably go start in the CFL and win championships.

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
Kilyin said:
That's the most telling quote right there. Vinny Testaverde could probably go start in the CFL and win championships.

I don't agree but Vinny is now out of football. Had a very long and semi productive career.

THUMPER

Papa
Reaction score
coach316 said:
I disagree that what Marion or Fouts lacked were leadership. What they lacked were key elements of a complete football team. Each were surrounded with minimal talent in the run game and mediocre defense. Those were the reasons they couldn't win championships.....not their leadership.

Elway didn't win his rings until the arrival of Terrell Davis and a run game and an above average defense.

You make some good points and I agree to a certain extent, but Marino played for a coach who was legendary for his running game and defense. The style was changed to accomodate Marino and exploit his strengths.

He was also drafted by a team who had been in the SB the year before with David Woodley and Don Strock at QB so I don't think that team was all that bad. In fact it was the QB position which was the weakness on that team which was painfully pointed out in that SB loss to the Commanders (4 of 17 for 97 yards, 76 of them coming on one play). Miami had the #1 defense and the #2 running game in the AFC in 1982, the year before Marino was drafted.

San Diego actually had a pretty good defense and a solid running game with Chuck Muncie. Their problem was time of possession. They scored so quickly that the other team had the ball a lot longer, wearing out their defense late in games.

Maybe it was the coaching that was to blame but in both cases the coaching staff designed the game plan and style of offense around their QBs and it was very successful until they got to the big games where they faced solid, all-around teams.

I'm not sure what they lacked but it was something that some other QBs have. Call it leadership or call it something else but it was something.