Video: Come on Anthony Spencer! lol.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Rivers should have got a penalty for the BS after he made the tackle. "Personal foul -- being a ****** bag."

What's really funny is he was actually happy about that play because of the tackle he made. It's like when a defender celebrates a tackle after an 8 yard run on 1st and 10. The guy cares much more about himself than his team.

Vertigo_17

Reaction score
While I would have loved to see him flatten Rivers, Spencer did the right thing.

The NFL is overly-focused on protecting the QB, and even though it could have been perfectly legit (QB was a defender), I am sure it wouldn't go over well. Add the fact is was pre-season and Spencer would be the next to get the "dirty" player label.

Just wish Church had a little more wind in him.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
This play makes me long to see Roy's INT and Bradie James ending McNabb's season. I love that play.

baj1dallas

Reaction score
TheCount;3508164 said:
Completely embarassing to let the QB make that tackle. Geez.

Did you notice half the team giving him a hard time on the bench right after? I swear 5 straight guys came up and gave him a one liner.

NoLuv4Jerry

Reaction score
This play typifies that missing "something" that sums up this defense...it is not nasty. Certain unamed teams would have tried to knock Phillp Rivers out for the year...you can criticize those teams if you want to, but they intimidate....yes I said intimidate other NFL teams. You would think entire teams should not be intimidiated at THIS level...but even in the NFL, there are bullies and people who get bullied. Not calling names...but if you think back to a game in Pittsburgh 2 years ago...when Pac Man returned a punt and what the Steelers were doing to him...it was mic'd up. You can call it dirty, but none of it was illegal and that is what they do. You can argue whether it was borderline...but I tell you what...you better deliver the first blow at this level, because you do not want someone else to dictate how far the rules are going to be pushed. We have a team full of talented nice guys...and that is one of the biggest regrets I have when we bypassed Mike Singletary for Wade Phillips. This team needs more of an edge that Mike S could provide. This teams needs to line up on 3rd and 1 and DARE the opposition to try to stop us from running them over. I am not blaming Wade...because if we had nasty players, Wade could not do anything to coach it OUT of them. But we have nice guys, coupled with a nice coach...and at times that leades to uninspiring football that is just HAPPY to finally win a playoff game, as opposed to DESPERATE to win a Super Bowl.

30yrheel

Reaction score
bbailey423;3508472 said:
This play typifies that missing "something" that sums up this defense...it is not nasty. Certain unamed teams would have tried to knock Phillp Rivers out for the year...you can criticize those teams if you want to, but they intimidate....yes I said intimidate other NFL teams. You would think entire teams should not be intimidiated at THIS level...but even in the NFL, there are bullies and people who get bullied. Not calling names...but if you think back to a game in Pittsburgh 2 years ago...when Pac Man returned a punt and what the Steelers were doing to him...it was mic'd up. You can call it dirty, but none of it was illegal and that is what they do. You can argue whether it was borderline...but I tell you what...you better deliver the first blow at this level, because you do not want someone else to dictate how far the rules are going to be pushed. We have a team full of talented nice guys...and that is one of the biggest regrets I have when we bypassed Mike Singletary for Wade Phillips. This team needs more of an edge that Mike S could provide. This teams needs to line up on 3rd and 1 and DARE the opposition to try to stop us from running them over. I am not blaming Wade...because if we had nasty players, Wade could not do anything to coach it OUT of them. But we have nice guys, coupled with a nice coach...and at times that leades to uninspiring football that is just HAPPY to finally win a playoff game, as opposed to DESPERATE to win a Super Bowl.

pretty much agree with you. the nfl is a nasty, physical game. you can not be a nice guy and win.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Vertigo_17;3508415 said:
While I would have loved to see him flatten Rivers, Spencer did the right thing.

The NFL is overly-focused on protecting the QB, and even though it could have been perfectly legit (QB was a defender), I am sure it wouldn't go over well. Add the fact is was pre-season and Spencer would be the next to get the "dirty" player label.

Just wish Church had a little more wind in him.

Exactly.

And like someone said, Cooper didn't hit Romo nearly as hard as he could. If you listen to an old NFL vet, they say that you do go 3/4 speed and just try to stay healthy in preseason. Tim Brown was on GAC last week and said the first half of the dress rehearsal was the one time in preseason where you played like you normally would, and that's only for one half out of all four games.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
bbailey423;3508472 said:

30yrheel;3508482 said:
pretty much agree with you. the nfl is a nasty, physical game. you can not be a nice guy and win.
Ha, yeah, when I see a forced fumbled followed by a fumble return for 70 yards, followed by the offense scoring within the next few plays, I always think "Now THAT is the problem with this team."

PBJTime

Semper Fidelis
Reaction score
I wish Spencer would have lit him up. I hate Rivers and his loud mouth. Spencer would have surely been within his rights to blow him up after Rivers got in his face.

hornitosmonster

Reaction score
Preseason guys..Preseason...

For some reason the players do have an unwritten rule. Eli Manning was more of a freak hit the other day.

Ocho Cinco is right...

The AZ Cardinals were also complaining about the hit that Fitz took.

I promise that Rivers gets lit up in the regular season "if" he does that again...

Biggems

White and Nerdy
Reaction score
hey, Church is a DB, and was exhausted from running all that way....I give him a pass.

the one that bugs me was Brandon Williams against Cincy. He had a great chance to blow up the QB after his INT, but punked out. Very disappointing.

Rampage

Benched
Reaction score
Hostile;3508428 said:
This play makes me long to see Roy's INT and Bradie James ending McNabb's season. I love that play.
yeah that was when we had a head coach who wasn't a ***** like Wade.

bbailey423;3508472 said:
agreed. :mad:

EPL0c0

The Funcooker
Reaction score
Gemini Dolly;3508163 said:
Thats what i was thinking, I thought Spencer was going to go hard. Oh well.

I like Philip. Hes a cocky mother trucker but he backs it up.
Spencer could have destroyed him. I think Spencer just decided to be the better person: it's pre-season, no sense in risking injurying a guy (big time QB at that). it's pre-season. Regular season though, I think Spencer's attitude is a little different and he takes full advantage of the situation to take out Rivers.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
bbailey423;3508472 said:

Let me tell you the two least "dirtiest" teams in the league made the Super Bowl last season. And the 9ers are soft on defensive as well. I like Singletary but he's proved NOTHING as of yet. That may change this season by default since their division is so wide open.

dcfanatic

Benched
Reaction score
I love everyone in here giving Spencer a pass, lol.

He's running to the end zone like he has the football. Why?

He didn't have to kill Rivers, but he did have to block him.

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
dcfanatic;3508907 said:
I love everyone in here giving Spencer a pass, lol.

He's running to the end zone like he has the football. Why?

He didn't have to kill Rivers, but he did have to block him.

he should of Warren Sapped rivers.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Rivers was going to the center of the field. All Church has to do is stay on Spencer's hip and he walks in. Anthony couldn't know Church would wander back to the middle of the field like he was in a drunken stupor.

BlueStar3398

Reaction score
Barry Church was so winded after that run that I saw one of the coaches come over and put a hand on his shoulder to ask him if he was ok.

Not sure why Spencer didn't block Rivers? Maybe he thought that Rivers wouldn't make a tackle? :laugh2:

dcfanatic

Benched
Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;3508921 said:
Rivers was going to the center of the field. All Church has to do is stay on Spencer's hip and he walks in. Anthony couldn't know Church would wander back to the middle of the field like he was in a drunken stupor.

Yeah. That's why you block him so Church can do whatever he wants.