Video: Did the Refs play a huge part in the loss?

dcfanatic

Benched
Reaction score
Did the Refs play a huge part in the loss?

By dcfanatic, October 6, 2009 9:21 pm

There was a few plays in this loss to the Broncos where I know the refs made an impact by making a call or not making a call.

Going to go over a few here and give you my take on the situation.

Play One - Should this have been a Holding call on Marty B?

[youtube]iFDaaqXH7yQ[/youtube]

Very ticky tacky call. These refs sometimes see the edge blocker grab just the slightest bit of jersey and the flag comes out. You can see the Broncos defender also gets pulled downward a bit just before he's about to be released from the block.

Would I have thrown the flag? Nah. The runner was way past that defender and he was irrelevant to the play by that time.

Play Two - Should Terence Newman be complaining?

[youtube]ZjScxZwL3zc[/youtube]

Here's the thing. The action took place within the first five yards and both WR's and CB's get away with all kinds of hand fighting in that area. Newman knows this. He's got to use better technique so he's not in position to get dragged down by Marshall on that arm over move. And someone has to tackle the kid.

Would I have thrown the flag? No. If we throw flags on that type of stuff the game would be six hours long.

Play Three - Where is the Illegal Contact on Champ?

[youtube]bin--2L4w9Y[/youtube]

Remember week one where Romo hits Roy right down the seam? This is basically the same route. Roy is going to be in the same spot and taking the path/angle as in that first game. But because Bailey shoves him he's then two yards inside and the ball goes high and wide to the left of Roy.

Would I have thrown the flag? Yes. If Bailey is going to just blatantly shove the WR because he bites on a double move then he gets the flag. Not to mention there could have been a personal foul penalty for the defenseless receiver hit from the LB.

Play Four - Let 'em play or make the cheap call?

[youtube]k9fwcyM1crY[/youtube]

If Bailey gets the arm around him on either of those last two plays and uses the back arm to hold Hurds back arm down then I think it's a no brainer pass interfernce call by the refs. On that last play it seems Bailey sort of uses Hurds body to swing his left arm into position to knock the ball down as well.

Would I have thrown the flag? Can't do it. I have been screaming forever that I don't want the refs deciding games and this was just a good CB making a play in my opinion. He didn't run thru Hurd to get at the ball. If he had then the flag gets thrown by me.

bbgun

Benched
Reaction score
We were the beneficiaries of a few bad ones (the PI on Crayton; the Bronco TE allegedly pushing off on Watkins, etc.), so these things tend to even out.

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
Flag should have been thrown on Champ's illegal chuck and on Dawkins for hitting a defenseless WR (ball was crazy high). The rest is just football. Newman needs to forget it already, the crying doesn't make him look good.

Heck, Newman was still in position to make a play on the ball, Marshall just yanked the ball away. And Hamlin missed the tackle on Marshall, not once, but TWICE.

slomoxn

Reaction score
In the immortal words of Artie Lang...Waaahhh!!!

Maikeru-sama

Mick Green 58
Reaction score
It's not even December and the excuses have already started :bang2:

It's going to be a long Season.

And like bbgun says, most of the time, it will even out.

nalam

The realist
Reaction score
DCfan has valid points. I was hoping we get the flag to the hit on Roy. Bailey did contact him after 5 yards and that was hit on defenseless receiver. Martyb's hold call was also very tick tack.

Can't help the feeling the referees wanted no part in OT as there were some questionable calls like when hurd went out still clock was ticking , had to burn a timeout. The 4th down throw , Bailey was trailing Hurd and wrapped atleast one arm around his waist. To me it was a PI.

Still we should have put the game out of reach of Orton and co , by 3rd qtr. It is beacuse of our dear genious OC who can't seem to adjust to the Defenses & the QB picked a very bad time to stink it up.

bouttime

Reaction score
And lets not forget the play, late in the 4th where Ratliff gets a Personal Foul call Roughing the Passer, 15 yards on top of the 15 yard completion. Fact was that while everyone was watching the replay on Ratliff, the Denver receiver did not catch the ball. He lost control of it as it hit the ground...No one looked to see if it was a completed pass!

LeonDixson

Illegitimi non carborundum
Reaction score
DC, that's a nice point on the high pass to Roy being due to Bailey shoving him a couple of yards inside. If he is not prevented from running the route where he wanted to that pass just might be on target. Never thought of it that way.

8FOR!3

Reaction score
lol at the last video. Those TV announcers know their football! "Miles Hurd."

hairic

Reaction score
Grabbing of shoulders, helmet, neck, arms, legs, groin, and *** is not legal contact in the WR / CB interaction; it's called holding when hands start wandering outside the opposing player's frame, in basically every interaction.

dcfanatic

Benched
Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;2997298 said:
Two words.

Walt. Anderson.

Tonight after I posted this on my blog I called Bryan Broaddus to talk about these plays and we started talking about Anderson. Bryan said he's (his crew) known for always being 'a part of the game' by throwing all kind of flags.

Let's hope we don't see him that many more times this season.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
There were some questionable calls on both sides. That is the norm for a Walt Anderson crew, they are the worst in the league. In their previous 2 games before ours, they called almost 40 penalties. That is just absurd!!!

I tend to be in the "let um play" camp. Tick tac penalties really piss me off, If it is blatant then throw the flag, otherwise let the players decide the game.

As far as the Denver game, we didnt lose because of officiating.

dcfanatic

Benched
Reaction score
slomoxn;2997305 said:
In the immortal words of Artie Lang...Waaahhh!!!

Some people only see black and white.

I only said I would throw the flag on one play and let the other two go against Marshall and Champ.

But we get a Waaahhh?

Pokes12

Reaction score
bbgun;2997258 said:
We were the beneficiaries of a few bad ones (the PI on Crayton; the Bronco TE allegedly pushing off on Watkins, etc.), so these things tend to even out.
You are right, the officiating was horse poop, but both sides got calls that were improperly made. I don't know if they balance out. It would be best to have a well officiated game. This was not one of them!!!

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
Laufenberg just did a little thing on his segment and said williams was shoved and it SHOULD have been a penalty and that he ran the route poorly.

I will put it up in a few.

CutMeMick

Reaction score
Oh, puhleeze!

Any more cheese with all this WHINE?????

Officiating, like weird bounces (see: NYG game), are a part of
the game.
You just take it, accept it, & move the F' on!!!

It wasn't the officials that couldn't tackle Brandon Marshall,
or chose to pick on of all players, Champ Bailey.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
dcfanatic;2997377 said:
Tonight after I posted this on my blog I called Bryan Broaddus to talk about these plays and we started talking about Anderson. Bryan said he's (his crew) known for always being 'a part of the game' by throwing all kind of flags.

Let's hope we don't see him that many more times this season.

DC flexin his connecs