VIDEO: Drew Henson week 1 passing plays

Cochese

Benched
Reaction score
Good work. I watched this game instead of the Barca soccer match. You can imagine how pissed I am. Drew did nothing of note.

SultanOfSix

Star Power
Reaction score
JustSayNotoTO said:
Good work. I watched this game instead of the Barca soccer match. You can imagine how pissed I am. Drew did nothing of note.

Are you even a real Cowboy fan? You've been mad at everything.

Cochese

Benched
Reaction score
SultanOfSix said:
Are you even a real Cowboy fan? You've been mad at everything.
Try wasting 2 hours of your life watching that horrible game. Tell me how happy you are.

trickblue

Not Old School...Old Testament...
Reaction score
JustSayNotoTO said:

True... but he was given nothing of note to do...

For the experience today... he did just fine... not great... not terrible... just fine...

blindzebra

Reaction score
Not nearly as bad as the trolls filling up the board today made it sound.

Bad weather, wet ball, first game, all-in-all I thought he looked okay.

EveryoneElse

Reaction score
I can't help the way I feel after watching that game today. I know it's Drew Henson's first action over there, and I know he can progress from here on out, but Timmy Chang, who I don't think will amount to anything, he impressed me more than Henson did.

Since the day we traded for Henson, I've been a huge supporter of him, and I've wanted him to work out for the Cowboys......I hope he can progress from here, but I don't have the faith in him I once did. I just don't see him working here or anywhere for that matter. He looks a lot like Hutch, he can hang onto the ball though.

I feel like I'm being fickle, after all, it's only one game...I just don't have the same hope I once had.

Blast me, I hate the feeling too though.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
trickblue said:

For the experience today... he did just fine... not great... not terrible... just fine...
What did some of these Henson haters expect? A 25-30 day with 325 yards and 4 td's?

Cochese

Benched
Reaction score
big dog cowboy said:
What did some of these Henson haters expect? A 25-30 day with 325 yards and 4 td's?
Well if Henson has as much talent as the *EDIT* supporters think he does, 5-11 just doesnt cut it.

Rogerthat12

DWAREZ
Reaction score
blindzebra said:
Not nearly as bad as the trolls filling up the board today made it sound.

Bad weather, wet ball, first game, all-in-all I thought he looked okay.

Yep..way to early to tell either way.:eek:

CaptainAmerica

Reaction score
...Here's my take on Henson after watching the tape tonight.

I'm pulling for him, but to me he still looks slow in his reads and generally uncomfortable and not real fluid. I believe the herky-jerky style of play at times is a case of nerves and pressing on his part.

He has plenty of zip on his ball, but he just doesn't anticipate very well at this point.

I'm not down on him, I'm just going to watch through the season and hope that with more and more game reps it will click and as Brady said, "the light come on".

If you have the video of it, go back and watch the 4th quarter, 4th down play and it will give you the best example of his lack of anticipation. The receiver/TE/H-back, (whatever he was), is running his route and Drew holds the ball and waits to throw it after he makes his break. Drew has to 3/4 motion the ball to get it to him and because of his mechanics the ball sails on him just enough to cause the incompletion. (That is him right now in a nutshell.)

All that being said, I noticed he does have a very fast release, (once he decides to throw the ball), even though he doesn't throw it textbook form.
I really believe playing baseball all of his life growing up is what has ingrained in him the 3/4-slinging it style of throwing motion.
That won't ever change, but with his strong arm and quick release it won't be too big a detriment, IF he can begin to get comfortable and make his reads fast like the good/great QBs do.

IMO, the quick reads is what seperates the greats like Brady from the decent/good ones like Bledsoe.

On a positive note, he did have a real nice strike late in the game that was a big-time throw. If he could do that consistently we would have something.

Anyway, that's my Henson scouting report for Saturday March 18, 2006, (fwiw), which I'm sure isn't much. :)

Concord

Mr. Buckeye
Reaction score
I'm sorry but I'm going to need more than 11 throws to judge him.

I TIVO'd the game and when I see Chang throw 13 passes in ONE quarter and Henson throw 11 passes in THREE quarters...It pisses me off.

I mean come on 11 passes in 3 quarters?

CaptainAmerica

Reaction score
ConcordCowboy said:

I TIVO'd the game and when I see Chang throw 13 passes in ONE quarter and Henson throw 11 passes in THREE quarters...It pisses me off.

I agree, but they mentioned that the coaches are going slow with Henson because of his lack of experience.
Chang did nothing but throw every down for a full college career, so to him it's like riding a bike. (But he has no future imo, as an NFL QB).

Also, on my previous post, I should note that on that 4th down play, in Henson's defense, I think the receiver ran the route a little long and didn't break the route off as fast as Henson wanted him to. They only needed one yard and he ran about a 7-10 yard pass pattern.

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
trickblue said:

but trick - this is the world of NFLE. this is NOT the NFL, this is NOT coached that way, played that way, planned that way or carried out like the NFL. at times it seems the only thing they have in common are the players (some) and the fact they use a football.

i didn't get to see the game because this was the day we do dual remote broadcasts here in dallas for the local music (see tagline and avatar!) but from what i understand, drew was average.

then again, how "average" would any NFL qb on this side of the pond look if bledsoe played for a quarter, then romo, then bledsoe, then we play it by ear.

if you're looking for consistancy from the NFLE quit it. it's revamped almost every year and you'll never see the same team twice in the same uniforms. this is why i hated to see drew go because *most* fans will see him play and compare it to what they know the NFL to be and not consider the rest of the circumstances.

CaptainAmerica

Reaction score
iceberg said:
but trick - this is the world of NFLE. this is NOT the NFL, this is NOT coached that way, played that way, planned that way or carried out like the NFL. at times it seems the only thing they have in common are the players (some) and the fact they use a football.

i didn't get to see the game because this was the day we do dual remote broadcasts here in dallas for the local music (see tagline and avatar!) but from what i understand, drew was average.

then again, how "average" would any NFL qb on this side of the pond look if bledsoe played for a quarter, then romo, then bledsoe, then we play it by ear.

if you're looking for consistancy from the NFLE quit it. it's revamped almost every year and you'll never see the same team twice in the same uniforms. this is why i hated to see drew go because *most* fans will see him play and compare it to what they know the NFL to be and not consider the rest of the circumstances.

Very good point, iceberg.

You could see that on a number of occasions, the players just weren't on the same page. How can they be? They were just thrown together in the past 4 weeks or so.
It's not a real good level of football. It's not even pre-season NFL level. Hopefully for Drew, his team will continue to improve and gel.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
The one thing I see now that worries me is it seems Henson is feeling pressure. Not pass rush pressure but real life pressure to succeed right now; this second. That is bothersome.

I am not now sure Henson makes it back to the roster.
That would be truly unfortunate because he clearly has franchise talent and needs to simply put it all together. At some point though you are what you are and you should have something to state your case as being a legit NFL player.

He is being replaced by Chang far too often for my tastes. I'd like to see him get every snap. That game sucked. 1 TD and that was on a pass by a WR. ughhh.

Dayton Cowboy

Reaction score
ConcordCowboy said:

How many pass plays were called in those 3 quarters? I'm attempting to figure how much of an opportunity he was given?

jman

Reaction score
JustSayNotoTO said:
Try wasting 2 hours of your life watching that horrible game. Tell me how happy you are.

LOL...I did...and you are right. Man, I hope it gets better or that's a 3rd rounder down the drain.

CaptainAmerica

Reaction score
Dayton_Cowboy said:
How many pass plays were called in those 3 quarters? I'm attempting to figure how much of an opportunity he was given?

Not many for Henson. A half a dozen I would guess.

There was one play he made that no one has talked about that I found amazing.

He dropped back and seemed to hold the ball too long, (of course we don't know whether his receivers did what they were supposed to do), so the pressure came from his back. He was hit and it looked like a SURE sack and out of nowhere as you were watching it, he slings the ball out in the flat with a good sharp, accurate pass to his check down back and the RB picked up positive yardage. Perhaps the momentum of the hit helped him get the ball out there, but it was a surprising play the way he got hit from the backside.

That play, along with a couple of other plays, showed he does have a quick release even though his throwing motion is not the classic style like Brady's.