VIDEO: Drew Henson week 1 passing plays

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
CaptainAmerica said:
Not many for Henson. A half a dozen I would guess.

There was one play he made that no one has talked about that I found amazing.

He dropped back and seemed to hold the ball too long, (of course we don't know whether his receivers did what they were supposed to do), so the pressure came from his back. He was hit and it looked like a SURE sack and out of nowhere as you were watching it, he slings the ball out in the flat with a good sharp, accurate pass to his check down back and the RB picked up positive yardage. Perhaps the momentum of the hit helped him get the ball out there, but it was a surprising play the way he got hit from the backside.

That play, along with a couple of other plays, showed he does have a quick release even though his throwing motion is not the classic style like Brady's.

That play amazed me also. I've seen most QB's step into a pass and not get those results. As the year progresses, this will be fun to watch.

But be warned, when the kid starts lighting it up, we'll hear "it's only NFLE"
lol

rcaldw

Reaction score
The thing that I've noticed, and I am a Henson supporter, is that Henson and Hutchinson both played like "BIG GUYS". I mean Henson is more athletic looking, in my view, than Hutchinson was, but he still is LONG in everything from his drop back to his throwing motion. Aikman was a fairly big guy (I remember him being compared to a LB in size), but he played FAST and COMPACT. Compact is the biggest word that comes to mind with Aikman, everything from his drop back to his release was compact.

I think Henson has all the tools to make it, but he has to get to the point where he is playing compact and fast.

adbutcher

K9NME
Reaction score
blindzebra said:
Not nearly as bad as the trolls filling up the board today made it sound.

Bad weather, wet ball, first game, all-in-all I thought he looked okay.
:hammer:

Juke99

...Abbey someone
Reaction score
He did exactly what I expected. He looked rusty.

What I did like, is the way he handled the team..and hey, like I heard about Quincy (uh oh) Henson WON.

:D

adbutcher

K9NME
Reaction score
jterrell said:
The one thing I see now that worries me is it seems Henson is feeling pressure. Not pass rush pressure but real life pressure to succeed right now; this second. That is bothersome.

I am not now sure Henson makes it back to the roster.
That would be truly unfortunate because he clearly has franchise talent and needs to simply put it all together. At some point though you are what you are and you should have something to state your case as being a legit NFL player.

He is being replaced by Chang far too often for my tastes. I'd like to see him get every snap. That game sucked. 1 TD and that was on a pass by a WR. ughhh.

I look at it a wee bit differently. It had the makings of pre-season game, imo. It was penalty laden, had plenty of blown assignments, and poor execution throughout.

Further, these coaches need to stop with giving all of these carries to RB(s) that will never make it in the NFL. The real chances lie with those in the passing games. So crank of the passing would be my suggestion, so the QB(s), WR(s), OL, DL, LB(s), and DB(s) get the work they need to succeed at the next level. No offense but the kid Jackson and Rabbit will never see an NFL roster nor do they deserve to.

On a side note Lenny Williams looked pretty good except on the trick play he played pretty solid. GO SU!

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Juke99 said:
He did exactly what I expected. He looked rusty.

What I did like, is the way he handled the team..and hey, like I heard about Quincy (uh oh) Henson WON.

:D

That was another thing that impressed me. There was a scuffle involving some lineman, when they got back to the huddle you could see Henson stiff arm one of his own guys(likely an OL) as if to say, get your arse back in that huddle.

Zaxor

Virtus Mille Scuta
Reaction score
What I noticed ...

the little delay getting back from the center looks to be fixed...

I liked the footwork...

now it might have been that the receivers were running a bit more under control because it seemed to me...he was expecting the rec. to be a step further than they were with almost every pass.

I was not at all discourage with this performance

Gaede

Reaction score
Well, nothing to be really excited or down about.

Couple ugly throws, couple nice ones.

That one near the end was a thing of beauty.

I do want to see him light it up though.

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score
CaptainAmerica said:
Not many for Henson. A half a dozen I would guess.

There was one play he made that no one has talked about that I found amazing.

He dropped back and seemed to hold the ball too long, (of course we don't know whether his receivers did what they were supposed to do), so the pressure came from his back. He was hit and it looked like a SURE sack and out of nowhere as you were watching it, he slings the ball out in the flat with a good sharp, accurate pass to his check down back and the RB picked up positive yardage. Perhaps the momentum of the hit helped him get the ball out there, but it was a surprising play the way he got hit from the backside.

That play, along with a couple of other plays, showed he does have a quick release even though his throwing motion is not the classic style like Brady's.

I saw that play. It was called back because of an offensive holding penalty. I thought he was sacked too.

Good thing he had the reciever there in the flatt.

mullet

Reaction score
I thought Henson looked OK. The game had no flow, and passing was not in the cards.
The field was absolutely horrendous.

Thanks for the video.

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
jterrell said:
He is being replaced by Chang far too often for my tastes. I'd like to see him get every snap.

NFL Europe's policy is to play at least two quarterbacks -- usually one in the first quarter and another in the second quarter. Henson played the first quarter, Chang played the second, and Henson played the entire third and fourth. Every team used a similar rotation this weekend.

Henson looked fine to me. A few throws were off-target, but his mechanics generally were good, his arm strength was excellent, as usual, and his reads and decision-making seemed quick enough. I didn't see any indecision. His stats certainly aren't eye-popping, but look around NFL Europe, and a lot of the quarterbacks' stats were worse (only one starter had a rating higher than 70.0).

And by the way, Chang looked absolutely terrible. His footwork was atrocious, and his arm is about three levels below adequate.

adbutcher

K9NME
Reaction score
AdamJT13 said:
NFL Europe's policy is to play at least two quarterbacks -- usually one in the first quarter and another in the second quarter. Henson played the first quarter, Chang played the second, and Henson played the entire third and fourth. Every team used a similar rotation this weekend.

Henson looked fine to me. A few throws were off-target, but his mechanics generally were good, his arm strength was excellent, as usual, and his reads and decision-making seemed quick enough. I didn't see any indecision. His stats certainly aren't eye-popping, but look around NFL Europe, and a lot of the quarterbacks' stats were worse (only one starter had a rating higher than 70.0).

And by the way, Chang looked absolutely terrible. His footwork was atrocious, and his arm is about three levels below adequate.
Great points. Adam, what are your thoughts about the OC being run happy? I know the conditions weren't favorable but imo, they really need to focus of QB development.