Video: Mike Pereira sheds light on (Romo) intentional grounding, free kick... more

THUMPER

Papa
Reaction score
WoodysGirl;2451086 said:
NFLTA: Official Review

Friday, November 28, 2008 | 5:35 PM

Mike Pereira sheds light on intentional grounding and more on NFL Total Access.

Link: http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d80ce1ca8 (5:14)

His explanation doesn't hold water. IG was not called 3 times in the 49ERs game yet it was a similar situation. IG is also not called when a QB throws the ball out of the endzone even though the ball "lands" where no receiver is anywhere near (as it sometimes hits the wall) yet that is OK.

The bottom line is that they screwed us again and won't admit it.

Just call them the same way every time and we'll be fine!

DallasInDC

Reaction score
THUMPER;2451167 said:
His explanation doesn't hold water. IG was not called 3 times in the 49ERs game yet it was a similar situation. IG is also not called when a QB throws the ball out of the endzone even though the ball "lands" where no receiver is anywhere near (as it sometimes hits the wall) yet that is OK.

:hammer:

pgreptom

Reaction score
THUMPER;2451167 said:

What three plays are you referring to?

I remember being pissed at the call myself, but it's the rules. It doesn't matter there was a miscommunication, there was no receiver even close to the ball. Atleast 15 yards.. it just doesn't hold water. It was intentional grounding.

What does the endzone portion of IG have to do with the IG that was called on Romo? The ball wasn't thrown out of the endzone, it was thrown in(and landed in) the playing field?

ChrisCanty99

Reaction score
You'd think a penalty called 'intentional' grounding would actually look at the intent of the QB. It used to. Throwing the ball at the RB's shoelaces while under pressure was penalizable.

I guess we can now call this the 'Tony Romo' rule.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
His explanation makes sense, but I've never seen grounding called on an overthrown ball before.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
ChrisCanty99;2451186 said:
You'd think a penalty called 'intentional' grounding would actually look at the intent of the QB. It used to. Throwing the ball at the RB's shoelaces while under pressure was penalizable.

You can't expect a ref to look at the "intent" of a player. The player will say every single time "oops, miscommunication, I never meant to ground the ball"

links18

Reaction score
AbeBeta;2451210 said:
You can't expect a ref to look at the "intent" of a player. The player will say every single time "oops, miscommunication, I never meant to ground the ball"

Judges and juries do it everyday. What do we expect Perreira to say? Admit the refs are terrible? Hasselbeck should have been called for grounding at least 3 times on Thursday, yet no call. Terrible officiating.....

Don Corleone

Reaction score
In each of our last 3 games, I've seen the Skins, Niners, and Seahawks all get away with blatant intentional grounding, yet it was never called. For the Skins, it was towards the end of the game on the 3rd down play. If it was called there, they would have had a tougher time trying to convert on 4th down.

Thankfully for us, Newman made a great play and prevented the conversion on 4th down.

The other games weren't as close as the Skins game, but the refs need to be consistent.

One thing I would like to see is our own players and coaches lobbying for the call on the opposing team when we, the fans, find it so obvious from our TV sets. I have yet to see Wade Phillips lobby for such calls in the heat of the moment.

Boyzmamacita

CowBabe Up!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
ChrisCanty99;2451186 said:

And the league might as well 'fess up and call it that too.

1. Marion Barber rule - face mask
2. Michael Irvin rule - pushing off
3. Emmitt Smith rule - taking off helmet
4. Roy Williams rule - horse collar
5. Eric Williams rule - hands to the face
6. Tony Romo rule - intentional grounding that isn't intentional grounding unless you are Tony Romo

LeonDixson

Illegitimi non carborundum
Reaction score
TheCount;2451187 said:
His explanation makes sense, but I've never seen grounding called on an overthrown ball before.
Go re-watch our playoff game against the Giants last year. Romo was called for grounding and he wasn't even under pressure. I think the throw was similiar to this one, but I may not be remembering it correctly.

I agree with those above who are saying that Hasslebeck could have been called for two IG's which were just as blatant as this one.

cmacch

Reaction score
LeonDixson;2451279 said:
Go re-watch our playoff game against the Giants last year. Romo was called for grounding and he wasn't even under pressure. I think the throw was similiar to this one, but I may not be remembering it correctly.

You remember it correctly. I know because I distinctly remember jumping out of my chair in a rage when they made that call.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
The call sucked but thats just how it bounces.

There wasn't a receiver close. TO was almost 20 yards from where the ball landed.

Combined with Romo being under pressure and throwing it to avoid getting hit, its a pretty easy call.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
links18;2451256 said:
Judges and juries do it everyday. What do we expect Perreira to say? Admit the refs are terrible? Hasselbeck should have been called for grounding at least 3 times on Thursday, yet no call. Terrible officiating.....

Judges and juries also hear from multiple witnesses and often the offending party. They hear arguments on both sides.

Great analogy.

cowboyrock

Benched
Reaction score
Where was Pereira when Jason cambell did that 2 or 3 times in our game 2 weeks ago?or when Eli did it in our playoff game last year. both these guys were under pressure, with no reciever in the area. this is a joke. the bullcrap calls we have gotton all year. im sick of the refs cheating us.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
AbeBeta;2451210 said:
I guess they shouldn't have the rule at all, since it's based on intent.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
theogt;2451351 said:

When a guy is being dragged down it is clear he intends to avoid the sack. The point we were arguing was whether the QB didn't intend to ground it b/c of a miscommunication. Perhaps I should have said you can't judge intent in THAT situation.

links18

Reaction score
AbeBeta;2451347 said:
Judges and juries also hear from multiple witnesses and often the offending party. They hear arguments on both sides.

Great analogy.

OK, then cops, prosecutors and judicial officers have to look at someone's intent everyday, in deciding whether or not to charge someone with manslaughter vs. murder, etc. Anyway, like other posters have said the entire rule is based on the QB's intent........

Hoofbite

Reaction score
theogt;2451351 said:

The intent is to avoid getting their *** kicked.

That is about as obvious as all hell.

However, no one will ever be able to judge the intent of where the QB threw the ball.

Over here, over there, receiver ran wrong route, yadda yadda.

Everyone knows why the ball is being thrown. Nobody knows why the hell the QB threw it where he did so to make things easy, if there isn't a WR in the area, its a flag.

As a result, you get flagged if you a throw a ball in the face of pressure and it happens to land 20 yards from your nearest receiver.

Pretty simple. Sucked that it was called but it was the right call.