Video: Mike Pereira sheds light on (Romo) intentional grounding, free kick... more

AbeBeta

Reaction score
theogt;2451388 said:
The determination of the QBs intent is dependent upon the design of the play.

Let's say a RB is to run a wheel route. As he's running the route, he trips in the flats. The QB, under pressure, throws the ball 10 yards beyond the LOS, where there's no receiver in the vicinity.

Flag?

And how does the ref know the design of the play?

all the ref can examine is the actual play that unfolds before his eyes. unless you provide the ref with the playbook, all he's got to go on is where the ball lands relative to the eligible receivers on the field. he's got no legit ability to say "well the guy who tripped was going to spot X"

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
Boyzmamacita;2451278 said:
And the league might as well 'fess up and call it that too.

1. Marion Barber rule - face mask
2. Michael Irvin rule - pushing off
3. Emmitt Smith rule - taking off helmet
4. Roy Williams rule - horse collar
5. Eric Williams rule - hands to the face
6. Tony Romo rule - intentional grounding that isn't intentional grounding unless you are Tony Romo

Yep... I mentioned this in another thread the other day. They got creative... instead of "creating" a rule for Romo. They just gave him one of the existing ones.:banghead:

Also.... isnt there one that was atleast inspired by TO... the "excessive" celebration rule. I know he drew attention to himself over the years and then BAM... no fun in end zone... whammo!

THUMPER

Papa
Reaction score
Hoofbite;2451363 said:
The intent is to avoid getting their *** kicked.

That is about as obvious as all hell.

However, no one will ever be able to judge the intent of where the QB threw the ball.

Over here, over there, receiver ran wrong route, yadda yadda.

Everyone knows why the ball is being thrown. Nobody knows why the hell the QB threw it where he did so to make things easy, if there isn't a WR in the area, its a flag.

As a result, you get flagged if you a throw a ball in the face of pressure and it happens to land 20 yards from your nearest receiver.

Pretty simple. Sucked that it was called but it was the right call.

My issue with this is not whether it was the right call or not but that they don't call other QBs for doing the same thing or even worse. I don't really care what they call IG so long as they call it that way every time and against every team.

The point is that they are NOT calling it consistently and seem to be calling it more often on Romo than on other QBs.