Recommended Video: Week 1 - All 22 defensive film breakdown (preview)

CyberB0b

Village Idiot
Reaction score
So I was bored and decided to make this video. If you like it, let me know. If you think it sucks, let me know. If there is enough interest, I can do a longer one on a different week.

There are a couple of technical difficulties, which I hope to iron out in subsequent videos (if the demand is there). One of the things that is annoying is I thought the mouse was being recorded, and it turns out it wasn't.

Feel free to criticize me or call me an idiot if there I something I am wrong about.

FLAME AWAY!

Nova

Ntegrase96
Reaction score
I can't watch it because I'm at work, but I already appreciate the hard work you've put into it.

Picksix

A Work in Progress
Reaction score
Thanks for putting that together. Good stuff. You did sound kind of bored, though. It seemed like our DB's (especially Mo and Allen) didn't really know their responsibilities on some of those plays, especially the last one. Mo took a step up toward the wideout as he cut inside, and Allen actually came forward toward Cruz, like he thought he was going to break outside, even though he was streaking up the field. As for the first big play to Nicks, on a general note, I don't really know why you put a CB right up on a WR, then have him back off immediately after the snap, allowing the WR a clean release, and practically giving him the slant or post, without LB help underneath, or better S help across the middle. Seemed like we gave up that type of play a lot this year. I know the CB is playing more of a cover-3, where he has deep third responsibility, but that shallow/mid zone is wide open. If you're going to coach the LB's to come up on a play action, then how can you have the DB's fall back at the same time? I could get open in the zone that wide open.

CyberB0b

Village Idiot
Reaction score
As for the first big play to Nicks, on a general note, I don't really know why you put a CB right up on a WR, then have him back off immediately after the snap, allowing the WR a clean release, and practically giving him the slant or post, without LB help underneath, or better S help across the middle. Seemed like we gave up that type of play a lot this year. I know the CB is playing more of a cover-3, where he has deep third responsibility, but that shallow/mid zone is wide open. If you're going to coach the LB's to come up on a play action, then how can you have the DB's fall back at the same time? I could get open in the zone that wide open.

I think that the entire middle of the defense blew it on that play. There was a huge gap in the middle. Normally, the LB on that side should provide some time of coverage on a slant. The MLB should help with the slant. I think overall, the defense is designed to keep everything in front of the players and not give up the big play (FAIL).

Like I said in the video, you can't really press as a CB in a Cover 3, because you have the potential to get beat on a go route. I know some teams do it, and I mentioned Richard Sherman does it, but I don't think our guys are capable of that.

Picksix

A Work in Progress
Reaction score
I think that the entire middle of the defense blew it on that play. There was a huge gap in the middle. Normally, the LB on that side should provide some time of coverage on a slant. The MLB should help with the slant. I think overall, the defense is designed to keep everything in front of the players and not give up the big play (FAIL).

Like I said in the video, you can't really press as a CB in a Cover 3, because you have the potential to get beat on a go route. I know some teams do it, and I mentioned Richard Sherman does it, but I don't think our guys are capable of that.

Or, like Seattle does, they have to be able to run guys to the inside, and then have a guy like Earl Thomas as S, that has great instincts and can really cover some ground. Can't have a guy like Church or Allen. Heath has the speed, but lacks just about everything else at this point.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
thx for the hard work here.
can't give much more than that because i haven't had time to watch it all yet.

one of my hypothesis is that we were a pretty darn good pass rush team week 1 before slowly deteriorating to near terrible by week 17.
would be interesting to see weeks 1 then 8 or 9 and 17 for comparisons sake of where we improved and where we got worse.
might also be cool to see the two Eagles games.

Bluestang

Reaction score
Good job.

I will caution you that some people demand for resumes, credentials, etc...when you do this stuff. I hope it doesn't deter you from doing more in the future no matter what the critics say.

CyberB0b

Village Idiot
Reaction score
Good job.

I will caution you that some people demand for resumes, credentials, etc...when you do this stuff. I hope it doesn't deter you from doing more in the future no matter what the critics say.

Thanks. I prefaced the video saying I'm just a casual fan. Feel free to add some criticism, it will help me learn more about the game.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
That does show what a cluster we are, especially Allen and Claiborne.

Like you said, someone can correct me if they think I'm wrong. But I think we're running almost no cover-3. On cover 3 the corners will be backed off or bailing way more than they are here, like Carr on the bunch play when he immediately bails and keep his head in the backfield. I think most of those are man to man with the single high safety. The first play and the last one might be the only ones I saw a real cover 2 (IIRC, the vid was long). A couple more could be where Church is in that gray area (by design probably) but I think we really are running that much man to man coverage with the single high free safety. I know you said Seattle can get away with that because of their corners, but on paper we should be able to do that, too, because we have a ton invested in our corners and man coverage is their forte. This was the first game of the year and Kiffin hadn't seen his players in a real game yet (and Claiborne of course was out for a lot of camp again).

And on most of those, Carr looks good. Claiborne looks like he's suffering from not being sure about the call and/or his responsibility, or just a pure lack of confidence in his ability to not get beat deep. Like on that big slant play, I'm betting Claiborne is supposed to bump him inside or just play pure bump and run like Carr is doing, but he lacks confidence so he backs off way early and the WR has an easy release. Of course that doesn't excuse Allen's horrid *** angle.

And on that last play, I think it's Claiborne, too. He's just wandering around out there, probably because he doesn't know his responsibility. I don't care what people say about how he only played man in college, cover 2 is the most basic coverage there is. We played it 25 years ago in high school, for Gawd's sake. It's not that complicated. Kids learn it in junior high. Maybe that 4 wonderlic wasn't a fluke. Of course you can't properly learn through repetition when you're constantly missing time in training camp, either.

So my takeaway: We see why Will Allen was quickly released. And Claiborne needs to get his head out and start being a professional football player pronto.

Bluestang

Reaction score
Thanks. I prefaced the video saying I'm just a casual fan. Feel free to add some criticism, it will help me learn more about the game.

Learning DB techniques inside/outside leverages helps with figuring out coverages, and front formations for gap responsibilities.

Bluestang

Reaction score
That does show what a cluster we are, especially Allen and Claiborne.

And on most of those, Carr looks good. Claiborne looks like he's suffering from not being sure about the call and/or his responsibility, or just a pure lack of confidence in his ability to not get beat deep. Like on that big slant play, I'm betting Claiborne is supposed to bump him inside or just play pure bump and run like Carr is doing, but he lacks confidence so he backs off way early and the WR has an easy release. Of course that doesn't excuse Allen's horrid *** angle.

I think it has more to do with the fact that Hicks was lined up half a yd off the LOS which gives him the space advantage. Most DBs that play the flanker go bail because trying to press them is a gamble they don't win. Mo doesn't allow him to go outside, which might be his primary responsibility, but the S (Allen) is too busy looking at all the action in the backfield.

And on that last play, I think it's Claiborne, too. He's just wandering around out there, probably because he doesn't know his responsibility. I don't care what people say about how he only played man in college, cover 2 is the most basic coverage there is. We played it 25 years ago in high school, for Gawd's sake. It's not that complicated. Kids learn it in junior high. Maybe that 4 wonderlic wasn't a fluke. Of course you can't properly learn through repetition when you're constantly missing time in training camp, either.

So my takeaway: We see why Will Allen was quickly released. And Claiborne needs to get his head out and start being a professional football player pronto.

Cruz was lined up in the slot, and we slot blitzed Scandrick, while Allen was slow again to pick up the slot man. Mo can't cover the outside guy and the slot guy at the same time. This play is a prime example of a playcall that puts your players in a bad position because of the risk of the blitz that doesn't apply pressure early enough.