Video: Why do the Cowboys have so much trouble with twists and stunts?

28 Joker

28 Joker
Reaction score
Broaddus stated that Brewster was fine overall and didn't embarrass himself last night.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
41gy#;3509675 said:
Broaddus just singled out Leonard Davis, again, for whiffing on this play.

Furthermore, he pointed out Davis whiffing on plays like this last year.

(on DC Fanatic's radio show)

There is no way Davis could pick that guy up. He doesn't even come through Davis's gap.

He is supposed to take Brewster's man so Brewster can pick that guy up.

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
Marktui;3509662 said:
If all we need is 7 yards, why is Austin running a route all the way to the 47 yards line. The first down marker was at the 34 yard line. Crayton and Williams on the other side are running deep routes as well.

Shouldn't there be a hot read by Romo and WR's to cut the routes off and get to the first down markers. Romo had 3 seconds in the pocket and could have gotten a throw off short. Instead he hangs in there and has to get rid of it with pressure in his face.
I think if it's the regular season, Witten releases much sooner and it's a 20-yard gain. But with the injuries to the line, and with us expecting a blitz in that situation, Witten was thinking about pass protection.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
How can I put this delicately???

Davis does not have the greatest awareness in the league, he is easily confused or he makes slow decisions when it comes to anything other than blocking the guy in front of him.

When you play teams that like to twist and stunt, like the Chargers and Ravens do, you have to be aware of passing guys off and picking up different guys very quickly. If all of your o-line is on the same page and the guard passes his go off to the tackle and vice versa, you can block it up and get some big gainers.

However, if just 1 of your lineman gets confused.......well it usually ends very badly with either a sack or pick. Go watch the Ravens sometime and you will see what I mean, they use stunts and twist more than anybody.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
Davis' poor awareness combined with Gurode's inability to line up his mates, spells disaster.

T-RO

Reaction score
ScipioCowboy;3509258 said:
At this point, I'm honestly wondering if the Cowboys aren't better served starting Holland and Kosier once the latter returns from injury.

As under-impressed as I am with Holland...I might agree w/this. It deserves consideration, anyway.

Davis is a big tease as a player because he can be so dominant at times. But his whiffs blow up a lot of plays.