Vikings | DC Cottrell to retire

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Tue, 14 Feb 2006 05:52:07 -0800

Don Seeholzer, of the Pioneer Press, reports former Minnesota Vikings defensive coordinator Ted Cottrell revealed Monday, Feb. 13, that he has filed retirement papers with the NFL. "I don't want to retire," Cottrell, 58, said. "I'm being forced into retirement." Cottrell has been unable to land a job with an NFL team, despite 10 head coaching changes. "It's been a bizarre year," Cottrell said. "All these openings but no jobs. I've called some people and it's the same old story. 'We'll let you know if anything opens up.'"

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
HardHittin'Witten said:
kinda sad, but I know quite a few Jets fans that were ecstatic when he was let go from NY.
Maybe so, but I think he did a nice job w/Minny last year. Once everyone got on the same page. I think chemistry played a big part in how they played in the beginning of the year.

Even so, I find it odd that a guy with all his experience can't catch on as even a DB coach. It's not like Jim Bates Green Bay's former DC who priced himself out of the league this year.

Something Mort said in a chat may be a factor. He mentioned there might be a lil bit of age discrimination going on. Not sure how true, but it wouldn't surprise me.

Reaction score
WoodysGirl said:
Maybe so, but I think he did a nice job w/Minny last year. Once everyone got on the same page. I think chemistry played a big part in how they played in the beginning of the year.

Even so, I find it odd that a guy with all his experience can't catch on as even a DB coach. It's not like Jim Bates Green Bay's former DC who priced himself out of the league this year.

Something Mort said in a chat may be a factor. He mentioned there might be a lil bit of age discrimination going on. Not sure how true, but it wouldn't surprise me.

My thoughts exactly.....

leotisbrown

Half Fast Analysis
Reaction score
If he wasn't a blacks man no one would have said nothing bout this. Discriminate is not what America is best at. Then again on the other hand maybe he nots as good as he was before or he losted much abilitys in the ending of things.

Shrug.

Still I no how bad it feel to be on the streets looking for job or beg for moneys at lunchtime crowd with the way they look past you like you not even there and then someone feel sorries and give you a dollar but he leckture you at the same time on what you should be doings on your life-- like it so easy to be a big man with leather coat and long car with power windows and pretty gleem on it like the society girl types likes.

Not easy-- this life-- for sum.

I feel for his pain to.

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
Surely Bill could find room for him since he is a FOB unless he's holding out for a DC job.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
ThreeSportStar80 said:
He's better than half the D-Coordinators in the NFL....said race plays a part in these decisions.

Playing the race card here is pathetic and predictable.

HardHittin'Witten

This ain't Madden
Reaction score
WoodysGirl said:

Oh, I agree with you, WG. I'm not saying my Jets' friends are entirely smart. :) I would think he could get at least a positions coach somewhere.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Alexander said:
Playing the race card here is pathetic and predictable.
I don't agree that race is an issue. Just looking at the landscape of all the HC spots that were filled, many were by young, unproven guys.

As mentioned before, I do think it's a matter of age. I see alot of young HCs who are hiring former HCs as coordinators. Says alot that a guy like Sherman with the track record he has, is only able to get an offensive line position w/the Texans.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
WoodysGirl said:
I don't agree that race is an issue. Just looking at the landscape of all the HC spots that were filled, many were by young, unproven guys.

As mentioned before, I do think it's a matter of age. I see alot of young HCs who are hiring former HCs as coordinators. Says alot that a guy like Sherman with the track record he has, is only able to get an offensive line position w/the Texans.

I don't even think it is a age issue either, WG.

Cottrell has bounced around from job to job and he has not had a truly good defense since he was at Buffalo. He is a good defensive coordinator, but he is not special. That is the biggest factor. But I guess some people are just looking for some sort of conspiracy, when the fact just might be that he isn't an outstanding defensive coordinator.

TruBlueCowboy

Reaction score
I think it's just the "I wanna win now" mania. Everyone wants to find the next Bill Belichick. That's why all these head coaches are getting younger and younger. I don't think owners want to try out guys who have been on several tour of duties if they didn't win Super Bowls. They want another Jon Gruden. They want to take a chance on a new guy, a new football mind. Just my two cents.

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
TruBlueCowboy said:
I think it's just the "I wanna win now" mania. Everyone wants to find the next Bill Belichick. That's why all these head coaches are getting younger and younger. I don't think owners want to try out guys who have been on several tour of duties if they didn't win Super Bowls. They want another Jon Gruden. They want to take a chance on a new guy, a new football mind. Just my two cents.
I think it's cool some younger guys are getting jobs instead of the rehiring of the same coaches over and over again.

Rogerthat12

DWAREZ
Reaction score
WoodysGirl said:

I agree WG..definitely age factor in this context but still sad..he is a decent coach that could really assist some squads.

JackMagist

The Great Communicator
Reaction score
TruBlueCowboy said:
Right or wrong that is the way things are going in the NFL. Teams are looking for guys like Jeff Fisher was when he took over the Oilers/Titans. They want guys like Jim Mora Jr. who are young and energetic and bring excitement to the team.

I don't blame them one bit because I want the Cowboys to do that when we finally ditch Parcells. We haven't had an exciting coach since Jimmy Johnson (Barry Switzer carrying a pistol doesn't count) who was a young exciting type of coach when we got him. I don't want us to get yet another bland old coordinator of many year or another retread has been next time around; I want a young hot shot.