Vikings Draft Day Trade Attempt

DanA

Reaction score
We took the right trade......no question in my mind. I also think we took the right player in the 1st round with Parsons. I would have done things differently after but that's okay, I don't hate what we did as much as others seem too.

waving monkey

Reaction score
We'd get an extra pick and may have still got the targeted players. It comes down to, is moving back 4 spots vs 2 worth an additional 2 picks vs 1? It also would have given us an additional pick to use as leverage to move back up in a later round. Lots of scenarios.
we made a great deal moving down and brilliant picks who cares

kskboys

Reaction score
Pick quantity is nice, but is the difference between 1A and 1B smaller than the added value from #143? That's the risk. Team made the right move.
The real risk was quite simply losing Parsons. Parsons is a game changer of the first order. Risking losing him was no way worth it.
Trading from 10-12 was fine because Philly was most obviously trading up for a WR, and the Gnats were apparently not interested in him.

fivetwos

Reaction score
The real risk was quite simply losing Parsons. Parsons is a game changer of the first order. Risking losing him was no way worth it.
Trading from 10-12 was fine because Philly was most obviously trading up for a WR, and the Gnats were apparently not interested in him.
I think they thought every bit of that at the time, and I'm actually surprised they chanced moving back at all.

The part that infuriates me is the narrative that Chicago actually DID trade up to 11 for Fields, but never made a call to us. Baloney. They called, they offered at least what the Giants were, and were told no.

All fine by me, but that needs to be tied to the Parsons pick.

I'm as happy with him as anyone, but we don't know just yet....and watch and see if that Bears pick isn't much higher than people tend to think.

DUO_CORE

Reaction score
Maybe the Vikes didn't call us because they are still mad from the Herschel deal.

ThreeandOut

Reaction score
Pick quantity is nice, but is the difference between 1A and 1B smaller than the added value from #143? That's the risk. Team made the right move.

Pick 1B was reportedly Slater. There's a decent chance both Parsons and Slater would have been gone by pick 14 and we would have been taking Zavon Collins or Christian Darrisaw.

kskboys

Reaction score
I think they thought every bit of that at the time, and I'm actually surprised they chanced moving back at all.

The part that infuriates me is the narrative that Chicago actually DID trade up to 11 for Fields, but never made a call to us. Baloney. They called, they offered at least what the Giants were, and were told no.

I'm as happy with him as anyone, but we don't know just yet....and watch and see if that Bears pick isn't much higher than people tend to think.
Nah, Fields is the type that will lead your team to wins right away. 9-11. Prolly make the playoffs.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We'd get an extra pick and may have still got the targeted players. It comes down to, is moving back 4 spots vs 2 worth an additional 2 picks vs 1? It also would have given us an additional pick to use as leverage to move back up in a later round. Lots of scenarios.
They would have lost Parsons.

The Giants would have taken WR DeVonta Smith at #11 but then the Eagles would either have drafted Parsons or would have traded the pick to a team that would have drafted Parsons.

Parsons was likely rated as a top 10 talent by all teams and only fell out of the top 10 because CB, QB and WR have higher position value than LB. Teams always reach for those positions.

Teams rank the 1st round in tiers. The top tier clearly ended at pick #14 with OG Alijah Vera-Tucker and most teams likely had pick #13 OT/OG Rashawn Slater in tier 2.

One media draft analyst said after the 1st round that he spoke to 5 NFL teams and that their pure talent rankings (not considering position value) of non-QBs were all Pitts, Parsons, Sewell.

#10 for #14, #90 and #143 is the type of trade that Jerry would have made before his son took over football operations. The Cowboys would have been completely ripped off in that deal.

JD_KaPow

jimnabby
Reaction score
That's very much a lowball offer for 8. It's not a great offer for 10 either.

DUO_CORE

Reaction score
I wasn't saying to take the offer:
Depending on how bad Minnesota wanted Justin Fields they may have made a one sided deal with someone. I'm not saying they'd go all Mike Ditka/Ricky Williams for him but they may have sweetened the deal if they really coveted the guy.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score

This has only been reported as not true.

fivetwos

Reaction score
This has only been reported as not true.
I don't see where it was reported at all.

I'm just looking at it logically.

Saying the Bears never picked up the phone and/or offered far less doesn't make much sense.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
I don't see where it was reported at all.

I'm just looking at it logically.

Saying the Bears never picked up the phone and/or offered far less doesn't make much sense.
Sturm explicitly said the trade offer got a lot more "desperate" for the Giants.

The Bears picked up the phone, but they almost certainly did not offer the same package.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
What target? There is no guarantee Parsons is there at 14, so you are basically left with a much lesser player in Collins just to get an extra 4th

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Collins likely would have been the pick if Parson doesnt last to 14. Thats a big step down

cowboysooner

Reaction score
The Bears were planning on trading with Philly. When they got Smith the bears had to get to their guy.