Vikings expected to cut Culpepper

Reaction score
Vikings expected to cut CulpepperBY JASON COLEjcole@MiamiHerald.com

The Dolphins expect Minnesota to release quarterback Daunte Culpepper before the Vikings are scheduled to pay him a $6 million roster bonus on March 17.
Because of that belief, the Dolphins have resisted the offer to trade for Culpepper, who also is scheduled to make $2 million in base salary for the 2006 season.
The Dolphins and Vikings recently discussed a trade for Culpepper. Although no exact compensation was discussed, the Vikings are asking for more than the second-round pick that was reported this month.
Despite those discussions, the Dolphins are not interested in a trade at this point. They are examining a number of quarterback options.
The Dolphins are expected to speak with the agents for San Diego quarterback Drew Brees if the Chargers and Brees are unable to work out a contract extension by the end of next week.
The Dolphins also are monitoring what Tennessee will do with Steve McNair and what Washington will do with Patrick Ramsey.
On Thursday they held further talks with agents Tom Condon and Ken Kremer regarding quarterback Tim Couch.
Condon and Kremer also represent Brees.
MADISON RECONSIDERS
Cornerback Sam Madison recently backed off his claim that he would not take a pay cut to stay with the Dolphins. Agent Drew Rosenhaus told the team in recent talks that Madison might be willing to take less in hopes of returning.
The Dolphins, who were not happy with Madison's performance for much of the 2005 season before he rebounded at the end of the year, are considering all options when it comes to upgrading at cornerback.
The team is looking at numerous cornerbacks in the draft and is expected to talk with Ty Law, who was cut this week by the New York Jets. Law is among several veterans being considered, but most of them are expected to be too expensive.
As for Madison, he is scheduled to cost the Dolphins $6.5 million against the salary cap. That includes $3.7 million in base salary and bonuses. If the Dolphins cut or trade Madison, they will save $2.7 million against the salary cap.
Rosenhaus could not be reached for comment.
LINE OPTIONS
After New Orleans declined to place a franchise tag on Pro Bowl center LeCharles Bentley and Seattle put only the transition tag on Pro Bowl guard Steve Hutchinson, the Dolphins immediately were considered an option for both of them.
However, the Dolphins are unlikely to pay the $5 million per year that Bentley is expected to demand. As for Hutchinson, the Dolphins also are unlikely to meet his demands because of other needs, particularly if the collective bargaining agreement is not extended. Seattle has the right to match any deal for Hutchinson because of the transition tag.
COMBINE HUMOR
Running back Reggie Bush had the quote of the day at the NFL scouting combine.
Bush, who is expected to be taken with the No. 1 overall pick by the Texans, was asked what he likes best about Houston.
Said Bush: ``No state [income] tax.''

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
JBRockBottom31 said:
However, the Dolphins are unlikely to pay the $5 million per year that Bentley is expected to demand. As for Hutchinson, the Dolphins also are unlikely to meet his demands because of other needs, particularly if the collective bargaining agreement is not extended. Seattle has the right to match any deal for Hutchinson because of the transition tag.
I consider that a bargain for a guy who is only 26.

Longboysfan

hipfake08
Reaction score
JBRockBottom31 said:
The Dolphins also are monitoring what Tennessee will do with Steve McNair and what Washington will do with Patrick Ramsey.

Why bother with Damaged goods and an old QB.
They would get nithing here.

kartr

Reaction score
Longboysfan said:
Why bother with Damaged goods and an old QB.
They would get nithing here.

McNair is younger than Bledsoe and had almost the identical qb rating on a very bad football team. He would be a great mentor to Omar Jacobs.

BigDFan5

Cowboys Make me Drink
Reaction score
kartr said:
McNair is younger than Bledsoe and had almost the identical qb rating on a very bad football team. He would be a great mentor to Omar Jacobs.

So then whoever picks Jacobs should go get mcNair. Since Dallas is not getting Jacobs I guess he is no use to us here.

Billy Bullocks

Reaction score
kartr said:

Except McNair gets hurt alot, and Im not sure how much his body can take. The guy has been beaten up ALOT over his career. From his early years when he would scramble, to hte last couple years where he got the **** knocked out of him on a regular basis.

Jon88

Benched
Reaction score
They must not expect Culpepper's knee to heal? He was a very solid quarterback.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
If the Vikes cut 'pepper it shows they are a stupid franchise. They want more than a 2nd fine. So you don't get it and cut him instead? That's nuts. Teams do that with guys that they've franchised (see Corey Simon) -- but at least they get some form of compensatory pick in that case.

Why can't they give him his bonus then trade him -- serious cap hit yes -- but his value is increased as his new team won't need to pay that bonus.

lspain1

Reaction score
The word on ESPN Radio this morning was that Culpepper has offered to restructure his contract to stay in Minnesota and the team wants him to stay. I'm not sure I would bet on him not being a Viking next year.

bbgun

Benched
Reaction score
This makes no sense. Who the hell would replace him? Brad Johnson has a year or two left, max.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
You know, teams wait for year to have a QB work out as well as Cullpepper - he had mediocre stats last year -- but those were mostly attributable to 2-3 multiple interception games against some very very good defenses. Frankly, his line stank in those games. NO put up 6 sacks against him -- yet he still tore them up. Then the next week, ATL puts up 9 sacks against him! 'pepper isn't exactly sitting duck back there either.

How the Vikes could even think about getting rid of him is beyond me. He had a tough knee injury -- but it isn't the type of thing that players don't regularly come back from.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
abersonc said:
You know, teams wait for year to have a QB work out as well as Cullpepper - he had mediocre stats last year -- but those were mostly attributable to 2-3 multiple interception games against some very very good defenses. Frankly, his line stank in those games. NO put up 6 sacks against him -- yet he still tore them up. Then the next week, ATL puts up 9 sacks against him! 'pepper isn't exactly sitting duck back there either.

How the Vikes could even think about getting rid of him is beyond me. He had a tough knee injury -- but it isn't the type of thing that players don't regularly come back from.

I agree with you AB. There has to be something we don't know. Something under the covers that the organization is aware of.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY said:
I agree with you AB. There has to be something we don't know. Something under the covers that the organization is aware of.

Hmm. can't be the injury since I believe they would not be able to cut him untill he was healthy.