News: Vikings QB Sam Bradford completing plenty of passes but not downfield

CCBoy

Reaction score
Vikings QB Sam Bradford completing plenty of passes but not downfield
http://www.twincities.com/2016/11/2...ompleting-plenty-of-passes-but-not-downfield/

The Vikings quarterback has completed 71.3 percent of his passes this season, better than the record of 71.2 set by New Orleans’ Drew Brees in 2011. That percentage, though, hasn’t been translating into wins.

Minnesota (6-5) has lost five of its past six. Since Pat Shurmur took over as interim offensive coordinator Nov. 2 and began to call quicker and shorter passes, Bradford has completed a staggering 77.9 percent in four games. Yet the Vikings lost three of them.

After completing 31 of 37 for just 224 yards in a 16-13 loss at Detroit on Thursday, Bradford said the Vikings must “find a way to create some explosive plays.’’ Bradford, who averaged a season-low 7.2 yards per completion in the game, said it’s “hard when you’re only picking up five, six, seven (yards) at a time.’’...

DallasDW00ds0n

Reaction score
Probably not only go deep on this secondary but without any doubt, he will put up 300 yards

RJ_MacReady

It's all in the reflexes
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Bodes well for our compromised defensive backfield. This is a game where I feel our defense will be pulling its weight all game long. The largest focus will be on our offense/ST not turning the ball over. Play clean/disciplined and this game should look like playing the Browns Offense mixed with the modified Philly defense (lesser front 4, but better LB and DB corps). Tough sledding, offensively, but totally winnable sans foot-shooting.

Last edited:

mattjames2010

Reaction score
Well, when a QB wants to feel like Joe Montana, play against our D. It's a good way to have a 0 INT day and plenty of passing yards. Oh, and they'll become the most elusive QB of all time and not be sacked.

SDCowboy

Reaction score
Doesn't matter against our defense. Any of those short dink and dunk passes could result in huge yards.

Zimmy Lives

Reaction score
Bodes well for our compromised defensive backfield. This is a game where I feel our defense will be pulling its weight all game long. The largest focus will be on our offense/ST not turning the ball over. Play clean/disciplined and this game should look like playing the Browns Offense mixed with the modified Philly defense (lesser front 4, but better LB and DB corps). Tough sledding, offensively, but totally winnable sans foot-shooting.

Minny's defense has not been great against the run. Dallas needs to establish the run, score in the redzone and win the possession battle.

Defensively, the Cowboys have to be disciplined versus the pass. Bradford will eat them up if he has the time and Minny does have one WR who can get deep. It would be nice if Dallas can actually force a few pics.

CCBoy

Reaction score
...For Ezekiel Elliott, that means more time than last week to focus on the upcoming opponent: in this case, another difficult test for the NFL’s top-ranked running game.

The Vikings are among the league’s best defenses, ranked third overall, and are tough against the run, particularly at home. They’ve allowed only two 100-yard rushers this season and have been even better at home, giving up an average of 95.2 yards in five games; in six road trips they’ve yielded an average of 108.3 yards.

The Arizona Cardinals are the only team to reach 100 total rushing yards at new U.S. Bank Stadium.

“They’re a very good team and they’re good at what they do,” Elliott said. “They don’t do a lot of different things. They kind of stick to what they do and they don’t really change because they’re good at it. They’re very sound. They don’t really lose gaps. They don’t make mistakes. It’s just going to come down to execution.”

Elliott leads the NFL in rushing with 1,199 yards, and in this most recent two-game stretch against the Baltimore Ravens and Washington Commanders, he had 45 carries for 194 yards and two touchdowns running behind the Cowboys’ offensive line.

“A lot has changed since Week 1,” he said. “I’ve become a lot more patient of a runner. I became a lot more comfortable with the system. I think we’re gelling very good right now. We’re a real close group. We work together. We count on each other with our physical play and it works out really good.”

Thursday brings yet another challenge.

http://www.dallascowboys.com/news/2...-stretch-zeke-focused-another-tough-challenge

NorthTexan95

Reaction score
We've been a very good tackling defense this year and that will help up immensely in this game. I could easily see Bradford getting 300 yards on something like 40 attempts. I just don't see him producing many points.

RJ_MacReady

It's all in the reflexes
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Well, when a QB wants to feel like Joe Montana, play against our D. It's a good way to have a 0 INT day and plenty of passing yards. Oh, and they'll become the most elusive QB of all time and not be sacked.
Calm down, Meow.
super-troopers-2.jpg

Besides the Hoyer-led Bears, Niners, and Browns, this should be the least threatening offense we see for the rest of the year. If we lose this game, it will have to be in a completely sloppy (T/Os, penalties) and low scoring affair. Don't get jaded in our recent defensive backfield woes that came at the hands of very good QB/WR threats like PIT and WAS. MIN could beat us, but it would require quite the offensive nosedive on our part to hand it over.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
The only positive thing I've seen is Bradford looks to have absolutely no arm strength now. His deep passes float far too long and he has no zip on his passes.

Diggs is still going to be a problem though. I see him giving Brown fits.

RJ_MacReady

It's all in the reflexes
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
The only positive thing I've seen is Bradford looks to have absolutely no arm strength now. His deep passes float far too long and he has no zip on his passes.

Diggs is still going to be a problem though. I see him giving Brown fits.

Bradford is not a threat. Diggs, yes, a problem if he makes this game, but without a lot of offensive weapons (like WAS) I don't expect a much more than a broken coverage play like DJax had against us. Give him cushion and tackle him quick.