Vince Young throwing motion...

jay cee

Reaction score
I saw Young play a couple of times when he was in high school, and he was a terrific passer as well as runner.

So you could imagine my surprise the first time I saw him throw the ball as a redshirt freshman at UT. His throwing motion was awful. I thought my mind must have been playing tricks on me, because I did not remember him throwing that way in High school.

I have just had this mystery cleared up for me. Andre Ware was just on one of the local sports radio shows here in Houston, and he was talking about how great Young was throwing the ball as a prep.

He said something like "the kid had one of the sweetest strokes I had ever seen." I have never called throwing a football a sweet stroke, but in my memory, that would be an apt description of Young's throwing motion.

Ware then said that during Young's redshirt season at UT, he talked to I believe Greg Davis about Young's progress.

Ware said he was stunned when Davis told him that they had changed Young's throwing motion to increase his accuracy. Ware said that he was shocked at this because you need to work on the footwork to increase accuracy, not the throwing motion.

I don't know a lot about coaching qb's, but if this is the case, it only proves my belief that UT has the worse qb coaches in college football. I thought they did a terrible job with Chris Simms and I have said previously that I think they have done a terrible job helping Young with his poor footwork.

But not only did they not improve the footwork, it seems that they screwed up the throwing motion.

How about that? All I can say is it's a good thing the guy can run as well as he does.

jay cee

Reaction score
HeavyHitta31 said:
He's a slower, bigger version of Michael Vick. Will never play a down as an NFL QB.
thanks man, where would we be if we did not have you here to remind us of that repeatedly.

dargonking999

DKRandom
Reaction score
HeavyHitta31 said:
He's a slower, bigger version of Michael Vick. Will never play a down as an NFL QB.

So what, any QB who can run is a sorry QB, who never deserves to play in the NFL.

I gues your perfect NFL would have every QB a Carson Palmer, Peyton Manning,?

The30YardSlant

Benched
Reaction score
dargonking999 said:
So what, any QB who can run is a sorry QB, who never deserves to play in the NFL.

I gues your perfect NFL would have every QB a Carson Palmer, Peyton Manning,?

Actually, I see no downside to an NFL full of the greatest QB of our generation.... :confused:

And name one, ONE, running QB to ever win a SB? Even one?

A runnign QB is fine, but not if they cant throw the damn ball

jimmy40

Reaction score
HeavyHitta31 said:
He'll be an NFL QB long after Weggie McNeal's Arena League career is over.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
HeavyHitta31 said:

Wanna bet?

Billy Bullocks

Reaction score
HeavyHitta31 said:
Actually, I see no downside to an NFL full of the greatest QB of our generation.... :confused:

This is where they try to say Elway was a running QB. LOL

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
What qualifies as a "Running QB"?

If a QB can pass the ball, he can pass the ball. The running part is just an added bonus.

joseephuss

Reaction score
HeavyHitta31 said:

I thought your sig bet was over after the Giants game.

I would'nt take any more bets if I were you concerning Vince Young. Especially one where you think Young will never play QB in the NFL. There is a very good chance he plays QB in the NFL at some point. Will he be successful? Who knows, but some team will give him a chance. I have little doubt about that.

I don't get statements or questions like "a running QB will never win a Superbowl". No one expects a QB to just run the ball. They expect them to progress and develop their passing skills to become a better QB. Vick is developing. The last few weeks, his passing numbers have been good. People expect Vince Young to develop. No one has said he will win at his current skill level. I guess those that don't like these guys think they will never get better.

Plus tatements like that make it seem as if the NFL is just full of so called "running QBs". That is not the case. Vick is the only thing close to being a "running QB". His running ability is more of a threat than his passing ability at this point in his career. No other QB in the league can say that. I know some like to lump Culpepper and McNabb into the group of "running QBs". I don't see it. Look at their passing numbers. They are pretty good. Especially Culpepper. Watch him play. He passes out of the pocket. Sure he can run which is amazing for his size, but he is primarily a threat with his arm.

Roger Staubach could run and run well. I would't call him a "running QB", but he could beat a team with his legs.

trickblue

Not Old School...Old Testament...
Reaction score
I was shocked when I saw how poorly Young threw the ball when I first saw him play at Texas...

I saw both him and Reggie McNeal play their senior years. Both were VERY impressive. McNeal ended up being known as a pretty good passer while Young seemed to regress until this year.

Changing throwing mothion is my pet peeve. There is a reason these guys were known as good passers at one time: They were good passers. Changing the throwing motion is akin to changing one's golf swing. Dance with what brung ya.

Many great NFL QB's throw the ball in a very awkward fashion. If whoever winds up with Phillip Rivers will leave him alone, they will have a great NFL QB.

Maikeru-sama

Mick Green 58
Reaction score
Not sure here.

Vincent Young is on the cover of ESPN the magazine, which I subscribe too. In the article, it says that Mack Brown and the coaches were constantly trying to work on Vincent's motion and footwork but Young kept fighting it. Young said Mack finally gave in and let Vince be Vince.

I really cant beleive there are people here still saying the guy will never play a down in the NFL as a quarterback. If he comes out this year, that definately will not be the case.

- Mike G.

jay cee

Reaction score
trickblue said:
I was shocked when I saw how poorly Young threw the ball when I first saw him play at Texas...

I saw both him and Reggie McNeal play their senior years. Both were VERY impressive. McNeal ended up being known as a pretty good passer while Young seemed to regress until this year.

Changing throwing mothion is my pet peeve. There is a reason these guys were known as good passers at one time: They were good passers. Changing the throwing motion is akin to changing one's golf swing. Dance with what brung ya.

Many great NFL QB's throw the ball in a very awkward fashion. If whoever winds up with Phillip Rivers will leave him alone, they will have a great NFL QB.

I know Trick, that's why I believe that Andre Ware was telling the truth. I saw with my own eyes that kid throw the ball his senior year of high school. And two years later as a redshirt freshman at UT, I knew that wasn't the same passer I saw as a high school senior.
mickgreen58 said:
Not sure here.

Vincent Young is on the cover of ESPN the magazine, which I subscribe too. In the article, it says that Mack Brown and the coaches were constantly trying to work on Vincent's motion and footwork but Young kept fighting it. Young said Mack finally gave in and let Vince be Vince.

I really cant beleive there are people here still saying the guy will never play a down in the NFL as a quarterback. If he comes out this year, that definately will not be the case.
You could be correct Mike, but I saw Mack Brown in an interview and he said during last season (I cant remember when, but it was after a game that Young had really played poorly) that he told Vince to just go out and play and be Vince, because he thought Vince was being to cognizant of the people telling him he has to be a pocket passer.

That he should take advantage of his skills as a runner.

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
I'm a firm believer that you don't change a qb's throwing motion unless it's complete junk. We should have never messed with Henson's.

trickblue

Reaction score
Yeagermeister said:
I'm a firm believer that you don't change a qb's throwing motion unless it's complete junk. We should have never messed with Henson's.

:hammer:

joseephuss

Reaction score
trickblue said:

Well, Tiger Woods said he completely changed his swing after he won the Masters in 1997. It worked for him. :D

I saw Reggie McNeal play at Lufkin. He had a big hitch in his arm motion at that time. He changed his motion slightly and it seemed to work for him. Of course that isn't based on this year. :D

trickblue

Reaction score
joseephuss said:
Well, Tiger Woods said he completely changed his swing after he won the Masters in 1997. It worked for him. :D

I saw Reggie McNeal play at Lufkin. He had a big hitch in his arm motion at that time. He changed his motion slightly and it seemed to work for him. Of course that isn't based on this year. :D

Woods did it voluntarily... and he has been successful before and after... also remember his dry run of majors recently... he changed it again and won this year...

McNeal did have a hitch, but it depended on the style pass he was throwing... he had/has a few different delivery styles... (I saw him play in several games as I'm a Lufkin alum...) :D

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
It's not JUST about "Throwing motion", it's about overall mechanics (ball position, knee bend, foot position, rotation of the hips, etc...).

And there's nothing wrong with improving a QBs mechanics just like there's nothing wrong with improving your golf swing.

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
If Bernie Kosar was a rookie in the nfl today the coaches would try to change his style and probably screw him up.