Virgina Shooting ***Read Post 6 Before Posting***

dsturgeon

Reaction score
https://abcnews.go.com/US/suspect-large-shooting-university-virginia-police/story?id=92780963

Sad deal. I am assuming he was on the bus and not shooting form the outside. I think it would be hard to kill 3 and injure 2 with the number of shot fired from the outside. If he was on the bus, I would assume there was eye witness accounts of arguments, what happened, and maybe even video, but all I have heard is accounts from people that were not near the crime that heard gunshots. There is nothing from other students or teaches on the bus. I am not sure why I don't know if he was on the bus or not.

It is the strangest coverage of any of these mass shootings I have seen. Even when there was a manhunt for a mass shooting, there was very little coverage. The first few news stories I saw about it, were not even at the top of the hour, even during the manhunt. On one news program I watched it was about 50 minutes in after a story about pie.

There was no digging into his social media, nothing detrimental about him or his social affiliations, and maybe the best picture he has ever taken used to show him. I don't disagree with this, but it is an oddity. Along with the terminology or words used covering him being different than others in his situation.

Has anyone else noticed oddities? I have only watched 3 or 4 news programs, and I have looked at a few internet articles, and I am not sure if I have missed stuff.

Last edited by a moderator:

dsturgeon

Reaction score
i found an eye witness account from a woman on the bus. She mentioned a bunch of gunfire. I am assuming it was a semi auto pistol. I can knock that off the list, but in my opinion it has been very strange coverage

DFWJC

Reaction score
Mass shootings in Chicago and Detroit every weekend.
Barely a mention

What set this apart was that they were D-1 football players.
So, relatively speaking, this had more coverage

dsturgeon

Reaction score
Mass shootings in Chicago and Detroit every weekend.
Barely a mention

What set this apart was that they were D-1 football players.
So, relatively speaking, this had more coverage

What set it apart for me is that I watched 3 or 4 news programs, and I had zero understanding of what actually happened. I didn't even know if he was on the bus, got on the bus, or shot from outside. For it being a school mass shooting, I thought there was little coverage. and the terminology used about the shooter and the fact that there was nothing detrimental said about him, including his picture, was odd to me. It does not follow the pattern we have seen.

I watched cbs and abc news, and the articles on the internet I looked at were along the same line. I don't know how fox, cnn, msnbc, etc covered it. But from what I watched it seemed like they are sweeping it under the rug.

Last edited:

dsturgeon

Reaction score
The eye witness account from a woman on the bus, said that he said something about these guys picking on him or messing with him and he opened fire. She also said that the shooter and the victims had not been talking to each other on this trip. It sounds premeditated, planned, and the same type of deal as some of the other school shootings.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Site Rule #5: #7 - You will not post political discussions, comments or content.

The above rule covers innuendo also.

triplets_93

Reaction score
The Original Press conference left much to be desired as to a basic statement of who, what, when, where. The authorities, being unwilling to state plainly that the shooter entered the bus after the bus stopped, and shot the victims, or, the shooter was on the bus for the field trip. They'll get around to releasing the basic facts as they know them at a time that's good for them.

dsturgeon

Reaction score
The Original Press conference left much to be desired as to a basic statement of who, what, when, where. The authorities, being unwilling to state plainly that the shooter entered the bus after the bus stopped, and shot the victims, or, the shooter was on the bus for the field trip. They'll get around to releasing the basic facts as they know them at a time that's good for them.

Which is a complete 180 from other school shootings. Which is really strange because the shooter was not killed or captured. There was a manhunt, with very little coverage. The police 100% new the details from the start of their investigations. Their was a whole bus full of witnesses. The normal in these shootings is 15 hour a day news coverage, the media jumping out ahead of actual information and running a narrative nonstop for a week, they normally have a whole social media history within 5 hours of the incident running physiological analysis on the shooter, following and harassing the family and parked outside their houses, and with a full detail on the firearm. Do we know if it was a licensed firearm or an illegal one?

I might be beating a dead horse, but I tend to notice inconsistencies with the media. I didn't watch the main news networks, so I made the thread.

Jammer

Retired Air Force Guy
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Sad to say, but I'm numb to these shooting stories. I couldn't tell you if the coverage was fair or not because I don't know any of the details and truthfully, I don't have the emotion to care anymore.

dsturgeon

Reaction score
Sad to say, but I'm numb to these shooting stories. I couldn't tell you if the coverage was fair or not because I don't know any of the details and truthfully, I don't have the emotion to care anymore.

That is not good. You should have a little. Not that it is any worse than any other bad crime, but it is a big loss. 3 athletes getting a higher education is not the bottom of the barrel. I didn't look into the victims or the shooters, but I am assuming they were good or average students.

Jammer

Retired Air Force Guy
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That is not good. You should have a little. Not that it is any worse than any other bad crime, but it is a big loss. 3 athletes getting a higher education is not the bottom of the barrel. I didn't look into the victims or the shooters, but I am assuming they were good or average students.
I *know* I should, but there are countless killings in the world and I'm sure there are many innocent victims caught in the crossfire but they don't get coverage. I don't know any of them so it's hard for me to garner any empathy. I know it's because we are overwhelmed with the news and eventually for my sake, I have to put blinders on.

When Dylan Roof shot the AME church congregation, I hurt hearing the news. It happened in my hometown and even though I didn't know the victims I considered them my neighbors so in a way I felt as if I knew them on a deep level. Not sure if that makes sense.

dsturgeon

Reaction score
I *know* I should, but there are countless killings in the world and I'm sure there are many innocent victims caught in the crossfire but they don't get coverage. I don't know any of them so it's hard for me to garner any empathy. I know it's because we are overwhelmed with the news and eventually for my sake, I have to put blinders on.

When Dylan Roof shot the AME church congregation, I hurt hearing the news. It happened in my hometown and even though I didn't know the victims I considered them my neighbors so in a way I felt as if I knew them on a deep level. Not sure if that makes sense.

Sadly, there it is going to get worse. Things are not going to get better financially, it is going to turn into the wild west. Hungry people, people losing houses, jobs, cars, are going to do bad things. Not that it will not happen everywhere, but in my thoughts those 2 movies escape from new york and escape from l.a. keep coming to my memory

I might have become numb in my thinking as well

kskboys

Reaction score
Sadly, there it is going to get worse. Things are not going to get better financially, it is going to turn into the wild west. Hungry people, people losing houses, jobs, cars, are going to do bad things. Not that it will not happen everywhere, but in my thoughts those 2 movies escape from new york and escape from l.a. keep coming to my memory

I might have become numb in my thinking as well
Man, I don't try to, but I think about those movies a lot when examining our course.