Virus

Sasquatch

Lost in the Woods
Reaction score
Hey Guys/Gals,

The last two times I have visited this website (I have no other windows open) Microsoft Security Essentials has flagged a virus/trojan named taskmgr.exe which continually prompts me to launch it. Is this related to the website or is this mere coincidence? Anything I can do to prevent this from occurring so I don't have to scan my computer all over again?

Thanks.

ScipioCowboy

More than meets the eye.
Reaction score
...was a terrible film starring Jamie Lee Curtis and Donald Sutherland.

roughneck266

Reaction score
Sounds like one of the fake virus scanners. I am not getting anything from being here though. I would recommend running a virus scan.

Sasquatch

Lost in the Woods
Reaction score
roughneck266;4151041 said:
Sounds like one of the fake virus scanners. I am not getting anything from being here though. I would recommend running a virus scan.

Yup, it was an OpenCloud Virus removal software scam. Bit of a pain, but I got rid of it. Not sure why it occurred while I was here (twice). Coincidence perhaps.

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You did not get that notice from this site. The only ads that show here are google ads and they do not host third party ads. You most likely already have malware or adware installed from another site or other software you have installed. It can also happen if you have third party search bars or browser plugins or extensions installed.

#reality

Sasquatch

Lost in the Woods
Reaction score
Reality;4151283 said:
You did not get that notice from this site. The only ads that show here are google ads and they do not host third party ads. You most likely already have malware or adware installed from another site or other software you have installed. It can also happen if you have third party search bars or browser plugins or extensions installed.

#reality

Thanks for the reassurance. Glad to know my favorite site isn't the problem!

I downloaded something called Secunia so hopefully I'll do a better job of updating vulnerable programs.

By the way, are all web browsers equally vulnerable? The multiple infections occurred while I was using Firefox.

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Sasquatch;4151352 said:
Thanks for the reassurance. Glad to know my favorite site isn't the problem!

I downloaded something called Secunia so hopefully I'll do a better job of updating vulnerable programs.

By the way, are all web browsers equally vulnerable? The multiple infections occurred while I was using Firefox.

Most current browsers do a better job of protecting users than they did in the past. Internet Explorer was horrible about giving plugins, scripts and active-x too much access and hackers took advantage of it. However, all of the browsers do a much better job now.

The real problem is that legitimate companies sneak malware and adware into their software, plugins, etc. and when it occurs, most users write it off as the site they are on. I mean if you go to a site and an ad pops up, most will assume it came from that site.

A lot of sites use third party ad networks and some of those networks are vulnerable to bait-and-switch advertising. The advertiser gives them a set of ad code for approval, the ad network reviews and approves it and goes live with it. Soon after, the advertiser switches the locally hosted code with more devious or invasive code and it gets distributed all over the net until the ad network becomes aware of it usually through complaints.

The key is for users to be proactive in protecting themselves. Always keep anti-virus and/or spyware/adware/etc. protection running especially while surfing the net and periodically run full scans of your system if your software does not do it automatically.

#reality