Video: Voch - Dallas Cowboys Offensive Line Is The Best Again

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Dallas Cowboys Offensive Line Is The Best Again || Film Session

The complaining about Williams has been quiet for a while. Watching the clips here, Williams had good awareness and technique.

Tyron is moving better than he has in years. Collins is settled in at RT.

I'm concerned about seeing so much of the oline listed as limited in practice week after week, but they aren't looking limited come game time.

Being solid at every spot makes a huge difference. No one struggling.

speedkilz88

Reaction score

tyke1doe

Reaction score
With all the investments, we should all expect dividends!
Catastrophic anomalies aside, of course.
Yep. Follow the example of the offensive lines of the Raiders of the 70s, the Giants of the 80s, the Hogs of the 80s, the Cowboys of the 90s and lead us to the Super Bowl promise land.
It has been shown that dominant offensive lines can get a team to the Super Bowl. Now it's the Cowboys turn to make a return on investment and take over games all the way through the playoffs and into the Super Bowl.
Otherwise, this will all have been a big colossal waste of offensive line talent.

JBond

Reaction score
....this OL has a big test this Sunday. The Viks have a real good front 4. I watched the KC/Vik game last week. Moore was under pressure just about every down, even when they ran someone was in the backfield.
As a KC Cowboys fan, the Chiefs have a crap run game, despite the one big play last week. The Chiefs have a scary good offense with Mahomes back. They beat the Vikes with Matt Moore and a improving defense.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Dallas Cowboys Offensive Line Is The Best Again || Film Session

He makes some great points and I definitely understand is irritation with "casual fans" or whatever he called them that complain about a player like Tyron without ever reviewing the game footage.

The issue with guy is that he often picks the wrong plays to try to make a point.

On that first play, the DE is holding up because he is looking at the RB. It's not a pass rush. Tyron does stop DEs with 1 hand but not really on that play.

On a later play Tyron got his hand on the outside of the DEs shoulder pads which will often get called as a penalty. I wouldn't pick that play to highlight Tyron's abilities.

It's also a bit misleading to show Pollard not getting a good block on that one play because Pollard has had multiple terrific blocks. His terrific blocks relative to snaps played has been off the charts.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
As a KC Cowboys fan, the Chiefs have a crap run game, despite the one big play last week. The Chiefs have a scary good offense with Mahomes back. They beat the Vikes with Matt Moore and a improving defense.

Tyreek Hill puts fear into defenses and D-Coordinators. That really opens things up for their other offensive players.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
How does Voch get game film?

The same way I get it. NFL Game Pass.

I think it's at $99 per year now.

They release the broadcast view immediately after the games and then the coaches film is released in the Monday/Tuesday time frame.

The coaches film has 2 views (All-22 and High End Zone Camera).

They have a list of each play and you can just click on the play that you want to watch.

It gives you access to games back to the 2009 season.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
He makes some great points and I definitely understand is irritation with "casual fans" or whatever he called them that complain about a player like Tyron without ever reviewing the game footage.

The issue with guy is that he often picks the wrong plays to try to make a point.

On that first play, the DE is holding up because he is looking at the RB. It's not a pass rush. Tyron does stop DEs with 1 hand but not really on that play.

On a later play Tyron got his hand on the outside of the DEs shoulder pads which will often get called as a penalty. I wouldn't pick that play to highlight Tyron's abilities.

It's also a bit misleading to show Pollard not getting a good block on that one play because Pollard has had multiple terrific blocks. His terrific blocks relative to snaps played has been off the charts.
He was focusing on the O-line's play, and it just happened to be a play in which Pollard messed up. He didn't make a big deal of it, and gave Pollard props for a great block in the other play.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
have to give a lot of credit to Colombo, Moore, and Brown. they have gotten better as the season has gone on. shout out to Nussmeyer too. The TE are blocking better too.

Run blocking is the most interesting aspect of football for me.
  • I was worried about Columbo during the losing streak.
  • The blocking assignments were making it too difficult for the OLinemen on many running plays.
  • Their execution and blocking assignments on Zone Blocking was a problem.
  • Columbo played in Houck's man blocking scheme.
  • I was concerned about his ability to improve the Zone Blocking.
  • They've made a huge improvement in the past 2 games.
  • They changed the run blocking scheme/assignments.
  • Less reach blocks and less difficult reach blocks.
    • Reach blocks put the OLineman at a leverage dis-advantage.
    • During the losing steak they had way to many reach blocks required.
    • Some run plays were doomed pre-snap because of the alignment of the defense.
    • Based on the defensive alignment, some blocking assignments were impossible to make.
    • In the past 2 games, they reduced the number and difficultly of reach blocks.
    • I'm curious if they have audibled to change a run left to a run right based on the defensive alignment.
    • They have started running more to the side where the 1-tech DT is aligned.
      • They've tended to avoid running to the 1-tech side in the past.
      • The Rams ran to the 1-tech side on almost all run plays vs the Cowboys.
      • Against the Pats, the Rams most often ran to the 3-tech side.
      • On an outside zone run the B gap is the open or LB gap if the 1-tech is on that side.
      • If the 3-tech is on that side, then the A gap is the open gap.
      • That changes the blocking angles.
      • In the past I think the Cowboys tended to call run plays without regard for how the defense was aligned.
      • The Rams ran to the side of the 1-tech far too often for it to be a coincidence.
      • The Rams either had an audible to change right/left or the play call was run 1-tech/3-tech instead of left/right.
      • I'm curious if the Cowboys have started changing right/left based on defensive alignment.

Example of a Recent Change
  • On a run to the right, a DT was aligned between CW and Frederick.
  • Previously they would have CW reach block that DT and Frederick block a LB or help block a DL to his right.
  • They had Frederick block the DT to his left and CW pulled just 1 gap over to Frederick's right.
  • The angles gave both Frederick and CW the leverage advantage on those blocks.

Outside Zone Runs with Cut-Back Inside
  • Changes on the outside zone runs are a bit difficult to describe.
  • A big part of the improvement is that they've been running more plays to stress defenses on the outside.
  • Outside Zone Run with cut-back to the inside.
    • Cut-back as primary goal vs fall-back option when outside if well defended.
    • It appears they made the inside cut-back a primary goal on some plays.
    • This allows them to alter the blocking to make the cut-back more successful.
    • The key on outside zone runs with a cut-back is to sell the outside run.
    • Sometimes just getting 1 LB to cheat to the outside can make a huge difference.