Video: Voch - Dallas Cowboys Offensive Line Is The Best Again

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He was focusing on the O-line's play, and it just happened to be a play in which Pollard messed up. He didn't make a big deal of it, and gave Pollard props for a great block in the other play.

Yes, I realize that; however, I know the way many fans interpret things and many will see that as a sign that Pollard struggles to block.

I've posted enough analysis to know that you have to keep in mind the simple-mindedness of the majority of fans/media if you want them to focus on the point that you're trying to make; otherwise, the majority won't be able to focus if they see something they can complain about.

FYI - I've noticed that you have a lot of good posts. Props for that.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Yes, I realize that; however, I know the way many fans interpret things and many will see that as a sign that Pollard struggles to block.

I've posted enough analysis to know that you have to keep in mind the simple-mindedness of the majority of fans/media if you want them to focus on the point that you're trying to make; otherwise, the majority won't be able to focus if they see something they can complain about.

Lol

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Lots of us beat up on C Williams. He has been much better the last few games. Arrow definitely pointing up on him. Plus having the Beard back is such a difference. No knock on Looney, Beard is just special.
The complaining about Williams has been quiet for a while. Watching the clips here, Williams had good awareness and technique.

Tyron is moving better than he has in years. Collins is settled in at RT.

I'm concerned about seeing so much of the oline listed as limited in practice week after week, but they aren't looking limited come game time.

Being solid at every spot makes a huge difference. No one struggling.

Yes, I've been posting for several weeks that CW improves with each game and that he was actually playing well on a majority of plays even in the games where he had a few hiccups.

His awareness and technique have been really good in recent games.

He has been especially good on working with Fred and Tyron to hand-off and pick-up rusher on blitzes and stunts.

CW & La'el Pace of Development
  • In regards to the learning curve of playing OL in the NFL CW is way ahead of the pace as compared to La'el at the same point in his career.
  • La'el was physically more NFL ready, but his learning curve was slow.
  • La'el struggled with stunts/blitzes for a few years.
  • This is the first year that La'el looks really comfortable with the mental aspect of playing in the NFL.

TwoDeep3

Reaction score

The first rule of writing is to not underestimate your reader.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Run blocking is the most interesting aspect of football for me.
  • I was worried about Columbo during the losing streak.
  • The blocking assignments were making it too difficult for the OLinemen on many running plays.
  • Their execution and blocking assignments on Zone Blocking was a problem.
  • Columbo played in Houck's man blocking scheme.
  • I was concerned about his ability to improve the Zone Blocking.
  • They've made a huge improvement in the past 2 games.
  • They changed the run blocking scheme/assignments.
  • Less reach blocks and less difficult reach blocks.
    • Reach blocks put the OLineman at a leverage dis-advantage.
    • During the losing steak they had way to many reach blocks required.
    • Some run plays were doomed pre-snap because of the alignment of the defense.
    • Based on the defensive alignment, some blocking assignments were impossible to make.
    • In the past 2 games, they reduced the number and difficultly of reach blocks.
    • I'm curious if they have audibled to change a run left to a run right based on the defensive alignment.
    • They have started running more to the side where the 1-tech DT is aligned.
      • They've tended to avoid running to the 1-tech side in the past.
      • The Rams ran to the 1-tech side on almost all run plays vs the Cowboys.
      • Against the Pats, the Rams most often ran to the 3-tech side.
      • On an outside zone run the B gap is the open or LB gap if the 1-tech is on that side.
      • If the 3-tech is on that side, then the A gap is the open gap.
      • That changes the blocking angles.
      • In the past I think the Cowboys tended to call run plays without regard for how the defense was aligned.
      • The Rams ran to the side of the 1-tech far too often for it to be a coincidence.
      • The Rams either had an audible to change right/left or the play call was run 1-tech/3-tech instead of left/right.
      • I'm curious if the Cowboys have started changing right/left based on defensive alignment.

Example of a Recent Change
  • On a run to the right, a DT was aligned between CW and Frederick.
  • Previously they would have CW reach block that DT and Frederick block a LB or help block a DL to his right.
  • They had Frederick block the DT to his left and CW pulled just 1 gap over to Frederick's right.
  • The angles gave both Frederick and CW the leverage advantage on those blocks.

Outside Zone Runs with Cut-Back Inside
  • Changes on the outside zone runs are a bit difficult to describe.
  • A big part of the improvement is that they've been running more plays to stress defenses on the outside.
  • Outside Zone Run with cut-back to the inside.
    • Cut-back as primary goal vs fall-back option when outside if well defended.
    • It appears they made the inside cut-back a primary goal on some plays.
    • This allows them to alter the blocking to make the cut-back more successful.
    • The key on outside zone runs with a cut-back is to sell the outside run.
    • Sometimes just getting 1 LB to cheat to the outside can make a huge difference.

Colombo came here under Parcells. In 2006 and 2007 he played under Sparano who had them use gap and zone concepts.

I saw plenty of reaches particularly by the tackles.

GORICO

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Yes, I've been posting for several weeks that CW improves with each game and that he was actually playing well on a majority of plays even in the games where he had a few hiccups.

His awareness and technique have been really good in recent games.

He has been especially good on working with Fred and Tyron to hand-off and pick-up rusher on blitzes and stunts.

CW & La'el Pace of Development
  • In regards to the learning curve of playing OL in the NFL CW is way ahead of the pace as compared to La'el at the same point in his career.
  • La'el was physically more NFL ready, but his learning curve was slow.
  • La'el struggled with stunts/blitzes for a few years.
  • This is the first year that La'el looks really comfortable with the mental aspect of playing in the NFL.
xwalker--- i have not kept up with O line as much as many of you guys...is Connor Williams playing well?...i know he beefed up in offseason