Video: Voch - How Bad Was Connor Williams vs Washington?

AbeBeta

Reaction score
"I'm not breaking down every play" ... I'm just showing a few where Williams got beat.

Psst. You ain't gonna win every play, particularly in the run game.

Win most of the runs and don't bust many pass plays and you are doing well

88sAndHeartbreak

Reaction score
Lol I knew dude would come through when I heard at that noise bashing Conner... and before people criticize, because I know its coming... he did say multiple times that he watched every snap Conner played, and showed each time he got beat.

It's weird I got say this because people just look at the pretty pictures and don't listen...

PJTHEDOORS

Reaction score
Well, DL rushing will eventually beat their OL, that's why alot of holding is never called. And Conner doesn't have alot of NFL regular season game experience.

jrumann59

Reaction score
CW has some technique flaws, but they are not fatal, just like La'el has Technique flaws. Everyone has technique flaws the thing is it takes time to clean a lot of that up. The only time they get highlighted is when they get beat. Remember a lot of these guys were one of the very best at their position in College and HS where their sheer athletic ability allowed them to get away with things. TFred for example is not the athlete the rest of his line mates are so he put a lot of time into technique to help make up for speed or mis-read. That will benefit him through his whole career when he is in the sunset of his career it will be called veteran savy. CW if he keeps at it will be a very good guard right now a lot of his issues is he still has OT on the brain once he cements the fact that he needs to lower his center of gravity on every play he will be hard to beat, quick guys he can out muscle with bad technique he cannot out muscle strong guys with bad technique. Their is the anti-CW that can be beat with quick guys all day but can beat the handful of good NT type players and that is XSF. XSF is one of those guys with little quickness so he has to be a technician which he is not. There are not a tone of athletic 1T more DT are closer to 3T more quick than strong.

T-RO

Reaction score
Voch loses his ball in the weeds on one thing. He criticizes PFF, and when he does so he shows an abject ignorance of how they grade. The truth is they are doing player reviews the same way Voch did during this video. They evaluate play by play, one player at a time. Grade every play.

When Voch criticizes them he is in fact belittling the value of his own reviews.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Is there any analysis in this video?
CW has some technique flaws, but they are not fatal, just like La'el has Technique flaws. Everyone has technique flaws the thing is it takes time to clean a lot of that up. The only time they get highlighted is when they get beat. Remember a lot of these guys were one of the very best at their position in College and HS where their sheer athletic ability allowed them to get away with things. TFred for example is not the athlete the rest of his line mates are so he put a lot of time into technique to help make up for speed or mis-read. That will benefit him through his whole career when he is in the sunset of his career it will be called veteran savy. CW if he keeps at it will be a very good guard right now a lot of his issues is he still has OT on the brain once he cements the fact that he needs to lower his center of gravity on every play he will be hard to beat, quick guys he can out muscle with bad technique he cannot out muscle strong guys with bad technique. Their is the anti-CW that can be beat with quick guys all day but can beat the handful of good NT type players and that is XSF. XSF is one of those guys with little quickness so he has to be a technician which he is not. There are not a tone of athletic 1T more DT are closer to 3T more quick than strong.

Punctuation is free!

Also, essential to making sense

Beaker42

Reaction score
#52 has trouble with B gap slants when gets no help from Fred. Otherwise he's playing pretty solid
Connor gets beat too often pass sets and lets guys come off the block too quickly on some run plays. Coach said he had 6 bad plays out of 67, it was more like 10.

Beaker42

Reaction score
I was hard on Connor after the game, but I admit with Voch while watching the replays... that there was a lot more good (or OK) than there was bad.
I agree - but is he starting caliber at this point? Not sure.

erod

Reaction score
As Nate Newton says, you have to have a big butt to play guard. Lifting weights won't do it.

Looney and SuaFilo are both better. No dea why Williams starts.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Starts at about 3:11 - - allow it to load. It takes a minute or so.

How Bad Was Connor Williams vs Washington???

I was hard on Connor after the game, but I admit with Voch while watching the replays... that there was a lot more good (or OK) than there was bad.
Below was my reply to someone in the thread about Baldinger saying CW had a bad game.

I posted this about 3 hours before voch live streamed the youtube video.

Note:
He said 4 bad plays plus 2 penalties.

I said about 3 bad plays. I don't include penalties in "bad" plays unless I specifically say penalty because often penalties on OL are bogus or they're penalties that they literally could call 100 times in a game but randomly choose to call them at the worst possible times such as to call back a TD.

Wrong.

He had about 3 bad plays total in the Skins game.

Aaron Donald had zero sacks or QB Hits in the playoff game and he lined up against Connor Williams on most snaps.

I don't just "dial in" on players like Connor Williams. I have reviewed all of his snaps in both games using the coaches film.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Voch loses his ball in the weeds on one thing. He criticizes PFF, and when he does so he shows an abject ignorance of how they grade. The truth is they are doing player reviews the same way Voch did during this video. They evaluate play by play, one player at a time. Grade every play.

When Voch criticizes them he is in fact belittling the value of his own reviews.

No, PFF player grades are garbage.

I can run routes using the same "method" as Amari Cooper but I'm not going to get the same results as Amari Cooper if I attempt to play WR.

Regardless, PFF does not use the same method that he was using. They don't grade based on 4 "bad" plays plus 2 penalties equal 91%. They have a very convoluted grading system to intentionally make it difficult for people to criticize it based on a specific play.

PFF hires people with Zero experience reviewing football game footage to "grade" film.

PFF puts out grades in less than 24 hours.

On weeks when no teams have a bye, there are 32 teams playing games those weeks.

There are over 150 snaps total in almost all NFL games.

There are 11 players on the field per team for those 150 plays.

32 x 150 x 11 = 52,800 (About 53K snaps to grade per week in less than 24 hours).

If they spend 1 minute grading that's 53K minutes. In reality to get a good review of many plays takes longer than 1 minute. Sure it's easy to see if an OL whiffed but most plays are not that easy to analyze. Analyzing DBs in coverage takes a lot of rewinding and reviewing everything that happened on the play to get a good estimate of who was responsible. That takes way more than 1 minute to accomplish.

Requirements to "grade film" for PFF and the resume of a guy that did "grade film" for PFF: