Voch: How Tyler Smith is rapidly improving for Cowboys

glimmerman

Reaction score
Not for rookies that are not close to being ready. Coaches know that after a couple of non-padded practices.
The padded camp toughens them and helps them get used to NFL strength. These preseason games can help us see them ready for NFL speed.

Beaker42

Reaction score
He has to lock down the LG spot and be good as a rookie if this OL has any chance of being better than last year.

If Smith can play well at LG and you have Martin at RG, then it really helps Biadasz who is the weakest link along the OL IMO.
Based on this drill he’s a ways off. He’s moving like a 10-minute old baby giraffe.

Jstopper

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
More PR mumbo jumbo from the Cowboys PR arm. Let's see how good he is when the game starts.

So you're running your mouth without having a clue what you're talking about? Voch Lombardi doesn't work for the Cowboys in any capacity....

plymkr

Reaction score

CWR

Reaction score
I have high expectations for this guy. I think he is going to be really good as a rookie (OG).

I do to, as a guard. Even if they don't slide him out to tackle this year, I am worried about him playing without Tyron Smith beside him. If Tyron can stay healthy he will help bring the rook along.

jaybird

Reaction score
He has to lock down the LG spot and be good as a rookie if this OL has any chance of being better than last year.

If Smith can play well at LG and you have Martin at RG, then it really helps Biadasz who is the weakest link along the OL IMO.
agree, Biadasz has had a good off season. I exapect to see a stronger better player. If not hopefully they can bring in a Solid player via Free agency

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The padded camp toughens them and helps them get used to NFL strength. These preseason games can help us see them ready for NFL speed.

Preseason is meaningless. Its our training camp hopefuls and rookies against some other teams. It is not "NFL speed".

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
It's hard to predict how Tyler will fare at this early date, but I'm very hopeful he'll be a prize. Here's hoping that's true.:thumbup:

Here's, also hoping Tyron Smith and Biadasz show up better than they were last year, too! The OL's success will be crucial.

Last edited:

Jimbo123

Reaction score
agree, Biadasz has had a good off season. I exapect to see a stronger better player. If not hopefully they can bring in a Solid player via Free agency
Where did you get that Biadasz has had a good off-season?

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Preseason is meaningless. Its our training camp hopefuls and rookies against some other teams. It is not "NFL speed".

Outcome of pre season is meaningless, the work that these players get in game condition does mean something. Unlike practice it is not a controlled situation, where QB is off limit and whistles blow early on tackles.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Outcome of pre season is meaningless, the work that these players get in game condition does mean something. Unlike practice it is not a controlled situation, where QB is off limit and whistles blow early on tackles.

Most of the starters get very little work in the preseason. The coaches call very simplified game plans. It is better than practice but still not NFL speed.

I think its a waste of time and NFLPA wants to get rid of them. Personally, I think the games are a money grab for owners who force PSL holders to purchase the tickets at regular season prices as part of their season package.

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
We’re not really talking much about this, but what happens if Tyler Smith is appreciably better than Terence Steele at right tackle? Maybe Tyler Smith & Tyron Smith are the tackles when everyone is healthy, & Steele is the one who fills in for Tyron.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Most of the starters get very little work in the preseason. The coaches call very simplified game plans. It is better than practice but still not NFL speed.

I think its a waste of time and NFLPA wants to get rid of them. Personally, I think the games are a money grab for owners who force PSL holders to purchase the tickets at regular season prices as part of their season package.

Practice is controlled, you can't touch the QB, tacking is blown dead at contact, no wonder tackling across the NFL is crap these days. As for the NFLPA? they are joke, they don't want 2 a days, they don't want padded practice. Practice is nothing more than 11 on 11 and drills. Pre season gets guys in game situation that are not controlled. I do agree that ticket prices are way too much and should be much cheaper than reg season

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Practice is controlled, you can't touch the QB, tacking is blown dead at contact, no wonder tackling across the NFL is crap these days. As for the NFLPA? they are joke, they don't want 2 a days, they don't want padded practice. Practice is nothing more than 11 on 11 and drills. Pre season gets guys in game situation that are not controlled. I do agree that ticket prices are way too much and should be much cheaper than reg season

How many quarters does Dak play in a preseason? 2? 3? The fact is that most of the guys playing most of the minutes in preseason won't be on the field or even in uniform week 1. I agree its a great thing for back-ups to get some snaps, but the fact is that the games are not utilized for their intended purpose b/c nobody wants to risk injury or tip play calling in games that do not count.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
How many quarters does Dak play in a preseason? 2? 3? The fact is that most of the guys playing most of the minutes in preseason won't be on the field or even in uniform week 1. I agree its a great thing for back-ups to get some snaps, but the fact is that the games are not utilized for their intended purpose b/c nobody wants to risk injury or tip play calling in games that do not count.

It is not about starters, Yes I think starters need to get some playing time in pre season to but you have position battles taking place. I think the outcome is meaningless but I think the work they put in is invaluable. Practice is designed to be a controlled situation pre season is closes thing these players will see to regular season. As for the risk of injuries that can happen any time at any place does not change the value of pre season especially for younger guys who are just entering the NFL.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It is not about starters, Yes I think starters need to get some playing time in pre season to but you have position battles taking place. I think the outcome is meaningless but I think the work they put in is invaluable. Practice is designed to be a controlled situation pre season is closes thing these players will see to regular season. As for the risk of injuries that can happen any time at any place does not change the value of pre season especially for younger guys who are just entering the NFL.

I know injuries can happen anytime. But no coach wants to lose their starting QB or star DE in a meaningless game. Now , it is to the point where starters at most all positions are held out of preseason games. It is work for back-ups and guys that will never see a regular season game. We even sign players in the middle of TC just to play these games so starters don't have to.

So, back to the original point, it is NOT true NFL speed football. It is a sloppy and dulled down version of regular season football.

Sydla

Reaction score
What a disappointment if Smith doesn't start at LG and McGovern does.

Now all the homers will claim, hey we knew he was raw so it's not surprising, blah, blah, blah.

The problem with that is that given the Cowboys strategy of basically sitting out FA and using the draft to land their impact players, your first round pick has to be an immediate starter like Lamb was, or Martin was, or Parsons was, or Smith was, or even Elliott was, or LVE was. They don't have the luxury, based on their roster building, to give a first round pick a couple of years to become a serviceable player.

Here's hoping Smith puts it altogether and locks down the LG spot by September.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I know injuries can happen anytime. But no coach wants to lose their starting QB or star DE in a meaningless game. Now , it is to the point where starters at most all positions are held out of preseason games. It is work for back-ups and guys that will never see a regular season game. We even sign players in the middle of TC just to play these games so starters don't have to.

So, back to the original point, it is NOT true NFL speed football. It is a sloppy and dulled down version of regular season football.

We just disagree. Given they do not even allow more than a couple of padded practice in a game that involved contact, I think pre season gives a better view of the players?