Video: Voch: Micah Parsons Film Study

Malhavoc

Reaction score
Its no different than putting together a high light reel to make him look beast.
That’s absolutely correct. But he’s not a scout and hasn’t watched anywhere near the amount of tape that a team scout will to evaluate. He even admits that.

btcutter

Reaction score
Love the player, potential is through the roof.

concerned about off field issues, but the RKG approach got us nowhere for a decade so I’m ok with something new.

biggest concern is lack of experience. I think we need to acknowledge that we may have some serious growing pains with parsons early on. Don’t think he comes in and immediately replaces LVE or Jaylon. Not saying that in a bad way either, just expectations for a top 12 pick are typically higher right out of the gate.

Shawn Lee would be a perfect LB coach for him.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score

This guy does a really good job. You can see the rawness on the misdirection. He just needs more experience playing a position he only played for two years. Has everything else. Put him on the outside for a year, let him wreak havoc there.

I didnt gather that he didnt like Parsons. Just a complete analysis of the player. Strength and weaknesses.

For me, this is why Surtain and Horn were the pick if they were there. CB is a prime position and a bigger need position with little risk. Parsons is more raw, but definitely has the potential to be an all pro for years to come.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Love the player, potential is through the roof.

concerned about off field issues, but the RKG approach got us nowhere for a decade so I’m ok with something new.

biggest concern is lack of experience. I think we need to acknowledge that we may have some serious growing pains with parsons early on. Don’t think he comes in and immediately replaces LVE or Jaylon. Not saying that in a bad way either, just expectations for a top 12 pick are typically higher right out of the gate.

I think you start him on the outside like this guy says. Let him worry about half the field and also rush the passer. When he is dialed in with more experience, plop him in the middle. That should be right about when Jaylon and LVE are no longer here.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
I think you start him on the outside like this guy says. Let him worry about half the field and also rush the passer. When he is dialed in with more experience, plop him in the middle. That should be right about when Jaylon and LVE are no longer here.
And I could see that happening. Personally I would bring him along slowly, but we will find out real quick once camp starts what the right move is. That really is the beauty of the cowboys situation. All of a sudden they have a ton of flexibility at the LB spot.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
Shawn Lee would be a perfect LB coach for him.
Fingers crossed they can bring him on. I think they will miss lee on the sidelines if they don’t. Even when he was hurt it felt like he was QB of the defense.

HappyOnions

Datwin
Reaction score
With the CBs off the board, this was what I was hoping for. Looks like a great player... A little concerned about the year off and alleged hazing... Hopefully he has matured.

Seems our high round draft picks have some kind of caveat more often than not.

NorthTexan95

Reaction score
Scares me to draft him so high when he still has so much to learn. He could be the next Bruce Carter who took years to look like a starting line backer and then immediately left in free agency.

jrumann59

Reaction score
That’s absolutely correct. But he’s not a scout and hasn’t watched anywhere near the amount of tape that a team scout will to evaluate. He even admits that.
True but he has probably watched more film than 99.9% of this board has and 99.9% more than the blind homers that think Parsons is the next coming of Urlacher or Lewis. Do not get me wrong the team has to go with their draft board. Outside this guys athleticism needs development, he is by far an unfinished NFL prospect.

LittleD

Reaction score
I can see two years down the road and I foretell the second coming of Lawrence Taylor. Watch Out!

Malhavoc

Reaction score
True but he has probably watched more film than 99.9% of this board has and 99.9% more than the blind homers that think Parsons is the next coming of Urlacher or Lewis. Do not get me wrong the team has to go with their draft board. Outside this guys athleticism needs development, he is by far an unfinished NFL prospect.
You just said it. There are professional scouts that believe that Parsons was a top 10 player. It’s not being a homer to believe their take. I don’t compare this kid to Hall of Famees of the past. He’s not a perfect prospect but IMO he was the best defensive prospect in the draft.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Like many picks the stuff they can not teach, speed, size, athletic ability is there but everything depends on what they can teach, film study, technique, staying out of trouble off the field, etc.

jrumann59

Reaction score
You just said it. There are professional scouts that believe that Parsons was a top 10 player. It’s not being a homer to believe their take. I don’t compare this kid to Hall of Famees of the past. He’s not a perfect prospect but IMO he was the best defensive prospect in the draft.
I think scouts can fall in love with insane metrics. It happens every year and will continue for years to come.

conner01

Reaction score
As would I....you have a whole different defense if you have that there.
I think some under value LB but the run defense killed us last year
He helps there
Now we need LVE to have a career year and get a huge deal next year lol
Maybe this help jaylon to
Watching a real LB might help him

Creeper

Reaction score
He looks like Jaylon Smith in college to me. And it looks like he suffers from the same deficiencies too. I certainly hope his instincts improve because the Cowboys are already suckers for misdirection.