LaTunaNostra

He Made the Difference
Reaction score
Volek sets agent straight
Backup QB says Rosenhaus went too far in comments about desire to be traded

By TOM WRIGHT
The Leaf-Chronicle

Associated Press

After reading a story in which his agent, Drew Rosenhaus, implied that he was aggressively pursuing a trade, Titans quarterback Billy Volek said, "I called him up right away and said, 'Hey, what did you do, man?'"

NASHVILLE — Two days after agent Drew Rosenhaus came to Titans training camp and said backup quarterback Billy Volek wanted to be traded, Volek cleared the air Wednesday after practice.
Not only does the six-year veteran want to stay in Nashville this year, Volek said he was upset with the way his agent, Rosenhaus, portrayed him in the media.

"I called him up right away and said, 'Hey, what did you do, man?'" said Volek of his reaction to the story printed Tuesday in The Tennessean saying that Rosenhaus was looking to set up a trade with a team that could give Volek a chance to start. "But we are on the same page now.

"It was a big miscommunication, and I can't believe how big it got."

Volek said he knew Rosenhaus was coming to Nashville to talk to Titans general manager Floyd Reese on Monday, but Rosenhaus didn't handle it like Volek expected.

"I thought he was going to lay the foundation with Floyd for my future," Volek said. "He did that, but he also went to the media. ... Now Drew and I are on the same page.

"He knows how I want to be represented."

Volek wanted to clear up the matter because he feared the public would put him in the same category with a couple of Rosenhaus' other clients like Philadelphia Eagles wide receiver Terrell Owens and Green Bay Packers wide receiver Javon Walker, who have both made headlines for threatening to hold out of training camp this summer.

"I am not like Terrell Owens or Javon Walker," Volek said. "Just because Drew represents those guys doesn't mean I am the same category as those guys. I want to be represented the way I want to be represented, and Drew understands that now.

"We went through some growing pains, but like I said, we are on the same page now."

Volek wants to keep his focus on helping the Titans win this year.

"I want to get Steve (McNair) back to where he was in 2003," Volek said. "And I am going to do all I can do to help this team. If it is scout team, or if Steve goes down, I would love to help win some ballgames."

But while Volek cleared up how he views his role with the Titans this year, that doesn't mean he doesn't want to start for an NFL team in the near future.

"People who say, 'I want to be a backup all my life,' what is that guy's desires?" Volek said. "I want to be a starter. If it is not here, it will be somewhere in the future. But right now I want to help Steve out."

Volek did that plenty last year.

When McNair went down with a sternum injury in the third game of the season against the Jacksonville Jaguars and missed eight games because of the injury, Volek stepped in and completed 218 of 357 passes (61.1 percent) for 2,486 yards and 18 touchdowns.

His 426 yards passing on Dec. 13 against the Kansas City Chiefs and 492 yards passing the next week against the Oakland Raiders made Volek only the fourth quarterback in NFL history to record back-to-back 400-yard passing games, joining Dan Fouts, Dan Marino and Phil Simms.

Those kinds of numbers gave Rosenhaus plenty of ammunition to make his case for Volek to be traded, but for now, Volek is happy in Tennessee.

"We will cross that bridge in January or February," Volek said. "I am glad I am here. My family loves it here. I love it here. The fans are great.

"I am glad to be a Titan."

Tom Wright covers Austin Peay sports for The Leaf-Chronicle and can be reached by e-mail at tomwright@theleafchronicle.com.

Originally published August 18, 2005

Charles

Benched
Reaction score
Drew Rosenhaus has planted the seed and also took the heat.

He's Jerry Maguire :laugh2: