Voluntary Workouts This Week?

irvin88

Reaction score
What exactly are OTA workouts ? Is it sort of like a minicamp ?:confused:

Iago33

Reaction score
I also was wondering why there is no news on the new practices. I guess nobody is taking it seriously?

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
irvin88;1505585 said:
What exactly are OTA workouts ? Is it sort of like a minicamp ?:confused:
Organized Team Activities are not mini-camps. They are voluntary teaching sessions. Mini-camps are mandatory training sessions.

Iago33

Reaction score
Starved people will take whatever we can--no matter what voluntary mean...

irvin88

Reaction score
DallasEast;1505601 said:
Organized Team Activities are not mini-camps. They are voluntary teaching sessions. Mini-camps are mandatory training sessions.

so is the whole team there ?

Doomsday101

Reaction score
DallasEast;1505601 said:

Ask most guys in the NFL and they will say there is no such thing as voluntary, if the coach is asking guys to be there he expect them to be there. There is no punishment for not attending but if your in a close battle for your position you may find yourself sitting on the bench.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Doomsday101;1505841 said:
Ask most guys in the NFL and they will say there is no such thing as voluntary, if the coach is asking guys to be there he expect them to be there. There is no punishment for not attending but if your in a close battle for your position you may find yourself sitting on the bench.
If you're continally trying to maintain your body to be as physically fit as possible, the labor (e.g. training) involved is extremely intensive and grueling. The mental part (memorizing the playbook, etc.) is also no joke either if a player is striving to be as mentally prepared as possible. Both factors can make a big crimp in a player's private life, but let's face it. OTA's and mini-camps do not take take away vast periods of a player's offseason.

There really isn't any reason why players can't attend every single one of them, barring a huge family-related or personal event or crisis. If you listen to some players' excuses, you would think they shared the same schedule as a surgeon--namely, oncall 24/7. It's really funny when you listen to the excuses, then you are consider the type of contract some players are signed to and it gets a little distasteful.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Iago33;1505599 said:
I also was wondering why there is no news on the new practices. I guess nobody is taking it seriously?

You can't have contact -- so there is only so much the teams can do. This really more about working out and meetings. So there isn't anything to cover.

dogberry

Reaction score
Do they physically run through plays? Work on the muscle memory. Actually go out and run a 30 yard out.

sago1

Reaction score
My understanding is that no pads can be worn and the OTA must be less then 2 hours. Players can certainly run plays, etc & practice. Phillips scheduled the next 3 weeks (M-T) to run OTAs which will entail teaching our new 3-4 scheme to the defense and Garrett installing any changes he wants made to the offense.

I would have certainly thought there would be enough news made to warrant media coverage--unless the media isn't permitted to attend. Anybody know?l

AbeBeta

Reaction score
sago1;1505947 said:
My understanding is that no pads can be worn and the OTA must be less then 2 hours. Players can certainly run plays, etc & practice. Phillips scheduled the next 3 weeks (M-T) to run OTAs which will entail teaching our new 3-4 scheme to the defense and Garrett installing any changes he wants made to the offense.

I would have certainly thought there would be enough news made to warrant media coverage--unless the media isn't permitted to attend. Anybody know?l

There may be a reason why there is no media coverage.

Several teams in the past have been caught practicing with contact during OTAs -- usually by media snapping photos or, in one case, by one of the guys who covered a team for their own web site (the contact photos were actually posted on their web page). The penalty for this can be loss of additional OTAs

It may be that the media simply isn't allowed in because if there is occassional contact, you don't want to lose practice time over it.

dogberry

Reaction score
If plays are run against an actual defense, isn't some contact likely?

AbeBeta

Reaction score
dogberry;1505962 said:
If plays are run against an actual defense, isn't some contact likely?

Yes. I'd assume that's why the rule is in place. So that teams aren't practicing that way

Vintage

The Cult of Jib
Reaction score
dogberry;1505908 said:
Do they physically run through plays? Work on the muscle memory. Actually go out and run a 30 yard out.

Or run 30 yard slants....

Those things can be a ***** and a half...

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
abersonc;1505957 said:
There may be a reason why there is no media coverage.

Several teams in the past have been caught practicing with contact during OTAs -- usually by media snapping photos or, in one case, by one of the guys who covered a team for their own web site (the contact photos were actually posted on their web page). The penalty for this can be loss of additional OTAs

It may be that the media simply isn't allowed in because if there is occassional contact, you don't want to lose practice time over it.

In fact, with as much as Wade and Garrett have already talked about installing their offense and defense, I wonder how close to the line we've gotten just on the offseason workout plan. It sure seems like the players knew the offense and defense pretty well last week considering it was their very first minicamp.

But I guess as long as it's voluntary, there's nothing wrong with it.