Vontaze Burfict ejected for helmet-to-helmet hit

INCowboysFan

Reaction score
Facts. I mean Mike Irvin got speared in the back of the neck with a helment while on the ground and I don't even think there was a penalty.
Fact: you are wrong. Go watch that play again. The guy tried to spear him but missed. Irvin went head first into the turf, there was no spear to the neck.

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
Fact: you are wrong. Go watch that play again. The guy tried to spear him but missed. Irvin went head first into the turf, there was no spear to the neck.
You right he spears Irvin with the top of his helmet to the upper back of irvin which causes his head to nosedive into the turf causing the injury. Still not even a penalty. Lol.

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
Watch some Lawrence Taylor highlights. 75% of his tackles would be personal fouls today. In the Giants 49-3 victory over the 49ers Joe Montana was knocked out of the game by a Giant DL blasting him helmet to helmet. It was commonplace in the 70s/80/90s.
Yup and always remember not too long ago they had a whole segment called jacked up before monday night football of all the big hits from the day before. Guys getting knocked out was a weekly ordeal.

Flamma

Reaction score
Yup and always remember not too long ago they had a whole segment called jacked up before monday night football of all the big hits from the day before. Guys getting knocked out was a weekly ordeal.

I used to love that. Anytime I watch a game from the 90s you can easily tell how much more aggressive the players are. It's noticeable. But I didn't notice as it was happening because it was baby steps. But whenever I go back, it's obvious to see.

zerofill

Reaction score
Yeah, he got that suspension... think he still gets to appeal it. But, I don't see how that gets reduced lol

InTheZone

Reaction score
This year long suspension was overdue. No way anyone can defend this, vaulting off the ground, head first into the head of another player. He made no attempt to hit at the chest or lead with the shoulder. His only objective was to simply go through the opponents head.

I couldn't care less about hard hits, you can tell that guy is a brick and wants to make that tackle, but his technique (head hunting) is dirty as hell and looks intentional.

Flamma

Reaction score
You know what, if the league wants to make the game a little safer, I'm fine with that. But when you look at some of the roughing the passer calls over the last few years it's embarrassing. If a DL is just mean to a QB it's a personal foul.

Cowboy4ever

Reaction score
I started my football "career" in 1977 at the age of 7. I played for 16 years total. Never, in all that time, was I ever taught to lead with the crown of the helmet. Keep your head up and run/drive through the ball carrier.. Put your face mask on the ball, etc.. never ever lower your head and drill someone. That has just a good chance to hurt me and it does them. Spearing has always been a penalty. Now I am not a huge fan of the way the NFL calls some of these plays, especially the helmet to helmet stuff when everyone is moving, ducking, twirling etc or a hit on a defenseless player.. some of my biggest moments where crushing some guy who wasn't paying attention on something like an Interception and just de-cleating them. But all that said, the rules are the rules and he knows the rules and broke them, without reason, so he gets what he deserves.

Master22

Reaction score
Isn’t this just the result of the concussion settlement? The players we remember for all these great hits are part of that era. I think this is one change we can look at the players for causing not the NFL.

joseephuss

Reaction score
Isn’t this just the result of the concussion settlement? The players we remember for all these great hits are part of that era. I think this is one change we can look at the players for causing not the NFL.

Good point. Around 4800 former players sued the NFL. Some of those plaintiffs delivered those hits.