poke

the older I get the better I was
Reaction score
well i did my part for woodson........now i gotta go take care of the rest
of the positions the Boys are at. thanks

jsond

Reaction score
all tied up now.

I am surprised whats-his-name from the steelers isnt #1. After all every player from the 70's steeler team defense has to be the best at each particular position. :rolleyes:

StanleySpadowski

Reaction score
The ones that really surprised me was how low the likes of Howley, Martin and White polling so far. I'm sorry, but a Super Bowl MVP trophy trumps just about everything when it comes to how a player performed in the Super Bowl.

ravidubey

Reaction score
SupermanXx said:
aside from this particular survey, is that your line of thinking with any player?

I'd take Peyton Manning ANYDAY over Bart Starr

I'd take Ladanian Tomlinson ANYDAY over John Riggins

etc. etc. etc.
Starr had what it took to win. Peyton has choked in every critical championship game he's played thus far and in EVERY game outdoors. Starr was a competitor of the highest calibre and has my respect. Manning is great for fantasy stats in a dome, but HELLO, this is FOOTBALL!

I mean, just what in HELL was that up in New England last year? My neighbor's dog could have played better than Manning did. That pathetic, incredulous, blank, resigned look on his face said it all. He's choked in the playoffs for years and years and he also repeatedly choked at Tennessee. Of course, he may mature enough to win one day, but as of right now Starr had "it" and Peyton doesn't.

SupermanXx

Benched
Reaction score
ravidubey said:
Starr had what it took to win. Peyton has choked in every critical championship game he's played thus far and in EVERY game outdoors. Starr was a competitor of the highest calibre and has my respect. Manning is great for fantasy stats in a dome, but HELLO, this is FOOTBALL!

I mean, just what in HELL was that up in New England last year? My neighbor's dog could have played better than Manning did. That pathetic, incredulous, blank, resigned look on his face said it all. He's choked in the playoffs for years and years and he also repeatedly choked at Tennessee. Of course, he may mature enough to win one day, but as of right now Starr had "it" and Peyton doesn't.

I understand completely what you're saying but put Bart Starr behind center in today's NFL and the only Starr would be the one's floating around his head after getting creamed

NorthTexan95

Reaction score
I got my vote in for Woodson. One interesting vote is on defensive tackles. Mean Joe Green (UNT! Go North Texas!) is first but is then followed by four Cowboys.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

73.7%''Mean'' Joe Greene (Steelers) - Won four Super Bowls with the ''Steel Curtain''. The Steelers held the Vikings to 119 total yards in SB IX, a game in which Greene had an interception and fumble recovery. Pittsburgh picked off three passes against Dallas in SB X, forced three turnovers in SB XIII and turned away the Rams in SB XIV.

43.0%Randy White (Cowboys) - Played in three Super Bowls (X, XII, XIII). Dallas' only victory came in SB XII, when White shared MVP honors with DE Harvey Martin after leading a pass rush that contributed to eight turnovers and just eight pass completions for the Broncos.

34.2%Leon Lett (Cowboys) - Won three Super Bowls in four years (XXVII, XXVIII, XXX). Helped force nine Buffalo turnovers in a 52-17 rout in SB XXVII, a game in which Lett famously celebrated early on an apparent fumble return TD but was stripped of the ball before scoring.

27.0%Bob Lilly (Cowboys) - Played in back-to-back Super Bowls (V-VI), winning the second. In that game, Lilly helped dominate the Dolphins to the tune of 185 yards and three points, making that Miami team the only one in Super Bowl history to not score a touchdown.

20.0%Russell Maryland (Cowboys) - A teammate of Lett on Dallas' three Super Bowl winners. Maryland started in a 52-17 win over the Bills in SB XXVII and a 27-17 win over Pittsburgh in SB XXX. Was also part of a three-turnover effort in SB XXVIII.

Hoods

Reaction score
Woodson is ahead. He's kicking some serious butt considering alot of the votes he would have got for being a Cowboy were distributed to Waters, Everett, and Green.

trickblue

Not Old School...Old Testament...
Reaction score
SupermanXx said:
aside from this particular survey, is that your line of thinking with any player?

I'd take Peyton Manning ANYDAY over Bart Starr

I'd take Ladanian Tomlinson ANYDAY over John Riggins

etc. etc. etc.

My line of thinking in what respect? It was merely a statement of how the votes were tallying...

Now... if you are implying that I would think the teams of the 70's could compete with the early 90's Cowboys or recent SB champs, then no... the literal size of teams today would be to much to overcome for early teams.

Now, could many individual players from that era play in todays NFL? You bet... and many would excel just as they did then...