Voyager 1 and 2 statistics

terra

Reaction score
It's entirely possible that outside our universe is another universe, or infinite number of universes. It's also possible that there's absolutely nothing. Just because we can't wrap our heads around the concept of nothingness doesn't mean it isn't possible. How can you be sure anything is infinite? You can't measure it, see it, or prove that there isn't a point at which anything just inexplicably ends, even though common sense tells you it can't.
as was pointed out even if there is blank space that is still something not a limit. You are also one that cannot grasp infinite. Don't feel bad; very few can.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
as was pointed out even if there is blank space that is still something not a limit. You are also one that cannot grasp infinite. Don't feel bad; very few can.
I didn't say I can't grasp the concept of infinity. But blank space isn't nothingness. Try to compare it to being dead and no longer existing. Just imagining never thinking, feeling, hearing, knowing...ever again.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
What is really amusing is some people here think they impress others with their intellect when actually WE ARE LAUGHING OUR ***** off at your arrogance.

Aaaaaand, predictably, I didn’t think you’d be able comprehend the content. Just empty posturing, luuulz.

joseephuss

Reaction score
I always thought about that too.....what could be at the end? Even if there was a wall, what's on the other side? Nothing? Well that's still something. Endless nothing is still infinite.

On the other hand, I get what @Runwildboys is also saying. The universe itself (the galaxies, stars, planets, etc) is expanding. So, technically it must have an end if it's expanding into something.

So, you're both right. :D

I always imagined it as our universe being finite. The universe is made up of a certain level of matter and energy(in the form of galaxies, stars, planets, dark matter, dark energy, etc.) That finite material is expanding into an infinite abyss of nothingness. Is the universe the finite material or the finite matter as well as the abyss of nothingness together? I think it is the finite material only as there are other universes out there that originated from their own big bangs or whatever. Some of the universes will expand forever into the nothingness. Some universes will eventually collapse back on themselves. Some universes will collide into other universes.

SlammedZero

Reaction score
I always imagined it as our universe being finite. The universe is made up of a certain level of matter and energy(in the form of galaxies, stars, planets, dark matter, dark energy, etc.) That finite material is expanding into an infinite abyss of nothingness. Is the universe the finite material or the finite matter as well as the abyss of nothingness together? I think it is the finite material only as there are other universes out there that originated from their own big bangs or whatever. Some of the universes will expand forever into the nothingness. Some universes will eventually collapse back on themselves. Some universes will collide into other universes.

Definitely. Though, if the universe expands forever into nothingness, it could hypothetically suffer a fatality from "The Big Freeze". That the universe never stops expanding, so much so, that everything will eventually be so far apart from each other that energy will ultimately die out. Everything will fizzle out and nothing will be left but a cosmic graveyard. There will be no more entropy. What if entropy and time are exclusive to each other? Assuming that to be true, not only would the universe meet it's fate of a heat death, but time would no longer exist.

As for the speculated nothingness, I'm assuming that the universe is a flat plane. My point was the curiousty of the limit to the nothingness. If you could reach the end of the universe to this nothingness, and enter it, would it just go on forever? And endless nightmare of dark nothing? Would time exist there? Would you cease to exist in it?

OR

Maybe the universe is like the shape of a balloon? It can continually expand (like blowing air into a balloon) but still have a finite volume. Which begs for the next question. If you could figure out how to travel at great lengths, and you took off from Earth and kept going and going and going, would you eventually come back around to it?

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Definitely. Though, if the universe expands forever into nothingness, it could hypothetically suffer a fatality from "The Big Freeze". That the universe never stops expanding, so much so, that everything will eventually be so far apart from each other that energy will ultimately die out. Everything will fizzle out and nothing will be left but a cosmic graveyard. There will be no more entropy. What if entropy and time are exclusive to each other? Assuming that to be true, not only would the universe meet it's fate of a heat death, but time would no longer exist.

As for the speculated nothingness, I'm assuming that the universe is a flat plane. My point was the curiousty of the limit to the nothingness. If you could reach the end of the universe to this nothingness, and enter it, would it just go on forever? And endless nightmare of dark nothing? Would time exist there? Would you cease to exist in it?

OR

Maybe the universe is like the shape of a balloon? It can continually expand (like blowing air into a balloon) but still have a finite volume. Which begs for the next question. If you could figure out how to travel at great lengths, and you took off from Earth and kept going and going and going, would you eventually come back around to it?
And then on to The Big Rip, where the universe expands so much that even the molecules, atoms, and point particles get torn apart... possibly.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score

OR

The expansion of the universe does not affect solar systems or galaxies such as what we are in. The gravitational forces within the star systems and at the center of the galaxies hold everything in orbit. The space that contains everything is expanding around it.

The greater potential for creating change is when a sun eventually runs out of fuel or when a black hole eventually evaporates. The eons of time for everything in the universe to expire is unfathomable. It’s really humbling.

There will likely be a point in time where the universe is completely black and devoid of light.

This is really good watch on the subject.

SlammedZero

Reaction score
The expansion of the universe does not affect solar systems or galaxies such as what we are in. The gravitational forces within the star systems and at the center of the galaxies hold everything in orbit. The space that contains everything is expanding around it.

The greater potential for creating change is when a sun eventually runs out of fuel or when a black hole eventually evaporates. The eons of time for everything in the universe to expire is unfathomable. It’s really humbling.

There will likely be a point in time where the universe is completely black and devoid of light.

This is really good watch on the subject.

While I do understand what you're saying to a point, doesn't it affect them in a way that it is pulling everything away from each other?

Anyway, I love going down this rabbit hole. I find the universe absolutely fascinating. Thanks for the link, I will absolutely watch it.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
While I do understand what you're saying to a point, doesn't it affect them in a way that it is pulling everything away from each other?

Anyway, I love going down this rabbit hole. I find the universe absolutely fascinating. Thanks for the link, I will absolutely watch it.

My understanding is that space is expanding and things are getting pulled uniformly rather than stretched.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
Everyone I've read or watched has me thinking space itself is expanding, therefore everything contained within it is eventually going to expand as well, to the point of being torn apart. They call it the Big Rip.

Interesting. I’ve heard of that theory but didn’t understand it that way. Looks like I need to do a deep dive!

SlammedZero

Reaction score
I always wondered too, that if the universe expanding does coincide with the arrow of time, if the Big Crunch happened (the universe finally expanding out to a point that it would reverse and snap back on itself) if it would cause time to run backwards?

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I always wondered too, that if the universe expanding does coincide with the arrow of time, if the Big Crunch happened (the universe finally expanding out to a point that it would reverse and snap back on itself) if it would cause time to run backwards?
No, it wouldn't...Then again, how would we know if it did?

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I suppose speculation is what makes these kind of conversations fun and interesting. :)
Honestly, I see no reason why the direction of space expanding or contracting would affect time. Also, if a certain segment of string theorists are correct (which I personally don't believe they are) there are many more spatial dimensions in the universe, and one other time dimension, which goes backward. While watching Tony Stark trying to figure out how to go back in time, I think he chose the "inverted Mobius Strip" as a dimension to use for that purpose. Obviously this was all complete make believe, but it sounded good.