Wade has added a coach to each area of special teams

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Said at the PC that he's added a coach to each area: Punt team, kickoff team, cover teams, etc.

"Not that Bruce can't do it, but I thought he could use some help. I wanted to make it a bigger emphasis and also make the players more accountable."

"I don't know any other way to get better at it than to just keep working harder at it."

RainMan

Makin' It Rain
Reaction score
Odd and interesting at the same time. I actually applaud Wade for trying to think outside the box to get this done, although it doesn't seem to speak all that well of Read's abilities to right the ship.

Parcells always emphasized special teams here. Wade, if I'm not mistaken, has a history of not doing that. I think spending more time on it is justified right about now.

Boysboy

Reaction score
RainMan;2343346 said:
Odd and interesting at the same time. I actually applaud Wade for trying to think outside the box to get this done, although it doesn't seem to speak all that well of Read's abilities to right the ship.

Parcells always emphasized special teams here. Wade, if I'm not mistaken, has a history of not doing that. I think spending more time on it is justified right about now.

FWIW-the Bills in '99 were #1 in ST coverage...until that Music City Miracle where he fired Bruce DeHaven afterwards...they were near the bottom the year afterwards.

Dave_in-NC

Reaction score
I wanted to make it a bigger emphasis and also make the players more accountable."

Is that our Phillips?

Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;2343341 said:
Said at the PC that he's added a coach to each area: Punt team, kickoff team, cover teams, etc.

"Not that Bruce can't do it, but I thought he could use some help. I wanted to make it a bigger emphasis and also make the players more accountable."

"I don't know any other way to get better at it than to just keep working harder at it."

WHEWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!

Joe Realist

No Kool-Aid here!
Reaction score
Probably existing coaches. Remember seeing Campo yelling. Maybe Stewart should coach the special teams and Campo the defense? umm on second thought......

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Well, I for one, am happy to see this. No, extatic is probably a better discription. I could be wrong here but I believe that this is Wade's way of interviewing a new STs coach. What better way to do that then to add a bunch of guys you think are good at STs and hire them all as assistants to see which one is actually better?

Man, this is the one thing that kills me every Sunday. I hate watching our Special Teams coverage units.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
Boysboy;2343354 said:
FWIW-the Bills in '99 were #1 in ST coverage...until that Music City Miracle where he fired Bruce DeHaven afterwards...they were near the bottom the year afterwards.

Good point. I thought that Wade got fired for not firing DeHaven which was the right thing to do. You gotta admire someone who will self sacrifice for others and stick to his guns.

I don't think some here have Wade characterized well at all.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Laughable.

There is not a team in the league that has a special teams coach so inept that this is necessary.

LucaBrasi

Sleeps with the fishes
Reaction score
jobberone;2343375 said:
Good point. I thought that Wade got fired for not firing DeHaven which was the right thing to do. You gotta admire someone who will self sacrifice for others and stick to his guns.

I don't think some here have Wade characterized well at all.
No, Wade got fired because he wouldn't fire the guy that came after Dehaven. That guy took the Bills ST to one of the worst in the league.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Alexander;2343383 said:
Laughable.

There is not a team in the league that has a special teams coach so inept that this is necessary.

I agree. I'd probably use sad rather then laughable but yeah, I do agree. Our STs have been putrid this year. I think this is a great move though. I hope his replacement is in this group of assitants.

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
Well at least he's doing something to improve it and he's making sure that it's known to everyone, I'm sure the players knew this before the PC, that the players are going to be held more accountable at this point if they can't do their jobs.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
Dave_in-NC;2343357 said:
I wanted to make it a bigger emphasis and also make the players more accountable."

Is that our Phillips?

Phillups is starting to feel the heat fellas, he knows that if this thing goes south that it is going to be his arse.

Jerry aint playing no more, he just laid out $50 large and premium picks to get a WOW player.

Wade has no excuse now and if he cant get it done he is gone, even Wade knows that now.

So hiring more coaches for each area of special teams is Wade's way of telling Read "you are not getting it done and I am not going to get fired because of your incompetence".

AKATheRake

Reaction score
Wade's starting to sound like a head coach. I don't hear the man gasping either. Keep the whip on him folks, someone is listening and it's working. Don't give to much credit yet.

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
now this is what i want to see, at same time this most likely means last year for read as special teams coach, but something has to be done;

this is what i want wade phillips to do, wake up, see whats wrong and fix it, i dont care how you do it, just fix it so it doesnt happen again