Wade has added a coach to each area of special teams

chinch

No Quarter
Reaction score
good move.

can't hurt.

Chocolate Lab;2343341 said:
Said at the PC that he's added a coach to each area: Punt team, kickoff team, cover teams, etc.

"Not that Bruce can't do it, but I thought he could use some help. I wanted to make it a bigger emphasis and also make the players more accountable."

"I don't know any other way to get better at it than to just keep working harder at it."

cowboyz

Reaction score
i thought they already did this.

rafael vela on his blog was talking about this during training camp

tnbk

Reaction score
Are these coaches going to suit up too? Or maybe we can pretend this is th arena league and they can just stand on the field with the players.

I mean seriously.....one coach can't get the job done so you add three others?

28 Joker

28 Joker
Reaction score
In my opinion, Dallas has some personnel issues on special teams. I don't think it is all on the coaching. I do like this move by Phillips. It will make some of those guys buckle down more.

I hope Anthony Spencer didn't hurt his hamstring covering kicks or on special teams, because he is coming off a knee scope. Having him cover on special teams off that injury may not have been the best move.

When he gets back, in my opinion, Phillips needs to hand Spencer the starting job, opposite of DeMarcus Ware. Dallas is going to be playing some young players in the secondary, and you might as well promote Spencer and play Spencer more. That means protecting your pass rusher by not having him play special teams.

Dallas needs Anthony Spencer making big plays if they are going get where they want to be. You get better by playing, and he needs to play more real soon.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
parcells316;2343392 said:
No, Wade got fired because he wouldn't fire the guy that came after Dehaven. That guy took the Bills ST to one of the worst in the league.

Thanks. I wasn't sure when but I did remember him getting fired for refusing to fire a STs coach.

NextGenBoys

Reaction score
superpunk;2343343 said:
Is there a reason he's still covering for this guy?

Coaches etiquette.

Coaches dont want to coach for a head coach who throws coaches under the bus.

(My god I think I just typed coach in that sentence more than my entire life)

Doctor32

Hi-Definition Warrior
Reaction score
Said at the PC that he's added a coach to each area: Punt team, kickoff team, cover teams, etc.

"Not that Bruce can't do it, but I thought he could use some help. I wanted to make it a bigger emphasis and also make the players more accountable."

"I don't know any other way to get better at it than to just keep working harder at it."

I heard this morning too on The Musers. I've neem griping about Read to theebs since they made the hire.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
superpunk;2343343 said:

Because it sends a message to all his coaches that he has their back and will not throw them under the bus.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Bruce Read will get a whole lot of help
4:03 PM Wed, Oct 15, 2008 | Permalink | Yahoo! Buzz
Tim MacMahon E-mail News tips

If the Cowboys special teams continue to stink, it won't be for a lack of effort by the coaching staff.

The Cowboys have assigned a coach to help special teams coordinator Bruce Read on every unit he oversees, sitting in on meetings and assisting during practices. In case you're wondering about the two units that gave up TDs during Sunday's loss, LB coach Reggie Herring will aid the punt team and safeties coach Brett Maxie will help coach up the kickoff squad.

"We're trying to address problems and get it better, get it right, get it done," Wade Phillips said.

Injuries certainly aren't helping matters in the kicking game. P Mat McBriar is out at least 6-8 weeks for the season. LB Kevin Burnett, whose 12 solo tackles on special teams are more than twice as many as any other Cowboy has, is day-to-day with a left calf injury. LB Anthony Spencer (hamstring) is a core special team who might not play this week. WR Sam Hurd is a core special teamer who might not play again this season after undergoing ankle surgery.

On the bright side, SS Pat Watkins practiced today and should play Sunday. He led the team in special teams tackles last season.

Comments (20) Leave comment | E-mail entry

Slammin Bran 23

Reaction score
NextGenBoys;2343651 said:
Coaches etiquette.

Coaches dont want to coach for a head coach who throws coaches under the bus.

(My god I think I just typed coach in that sentence more than my entire life)

:laugh2:

utrunner07

Reaction score
I like the move. As much crap as Phillips has gotten these past three weeks this is a great idea. It may not work but its a good attempt at a solution. Way to go Wade.

Biggems

White and Nerdy
Reaction score
SultanOfSix;2343362 said:
I can't see how anyone can consider this as other than good news.

is that kristen kruek in your sig? she is quite beautiful indeed, regardless of who she is.

Seven

Messenger to the football Gods
Reaction score
superpunk;2343343 said:

Wondering the same. Is he a Wade guy? What's the deal?

BTW - just what we need, more chiefs.

cowboyrock

Benched
Reaction score

Bullcrap! he should have fired Bruce Reid.PERIOD!

ABQcowboyJR

Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY;2343370 said:
Well, I for one, am happy to see this. No, extatic is probably a better discription. I could be wrong here but I believe that this is Wade's way of interviewing a new STs coach. What better way to do that then to add a bunch of guys you think are good at STs and hire them all as assistants to see which one is actually better?

Man, this is the one thing that kills me every Sunday. I hate watching our Special Teams coverage units.
Well said ol' man. I have to say you are right on this one. It kills me as well to watch it. I got all pumped for the cards game and.......... then the text messages starting coming in.