Wade is at fault as far as it concerns Demarcus Ware

JD_KaPow

jimnabby
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
bbgun;2496619 said:
I'll consider him the real sack leader if he falls one short. The same way I consider Babe Ruth to be the real HR champ.

Why, you don't believe in Gastineau's 22 sacks?

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
khiladi;2496602 said:
This looks to be the dominating defense we were waiting for. I just hope Wade doesn't think that he has to relinquish defensive coordinator duties thinking that it isn't something a head coach does.
In my opinion, Phillips was providing Stewart with as much elbow room as possible to better direct the defense. I do believe he wants Stewart to succeed as a coordinator and to do that he has to allow him to do it his way. Unfortunately, the team underachieved during the injury streak resulting in losses which backed the team into a corner. With the margin of error being too small for comfort and the season on the line, Phillips had to take control of the defense at midseason. If we were 7-2 (or better) instead of 5-4 going into the second Washington game, I think that he would have allowed Stewart to remain as the main signal caller for the defense.

khiladi

Reaction score
AmishCowboy;2496638 said:
Norm said the Schemes really haven't changed but that Campo convinced Wade to let the Corner's play press coverage something Wade doesn't really like.

That is hog-wash, for a number of reasons, among them what Chocolate Lab pointed out.

1. While I don't really buy the injury excuse, I think Wade may have wanted more zone, because he was giving Brian Stewart the chance to run the defense. He wanted to protect his coordinator.

2. The defensive line play is totally different up-front than it was in the early season. They run some 4-6 packages and are lining up the linemen in different positions to take advantage of the match-ups. They weren't doing that before.

3. That first INT with Newman shows an obviously intelligent man coaching this defense now. The safety faking the blitz, which baited Eli into throwing it to the man Newman was covering from a thing of beauty.

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
jobberone;2496626 said:
Wade said that the NFL gave Zack a sack that belonged to Ware.
Against GB, when Ware ran Rodgers out of bounds near where Zack was standing. Zack was the nearest defender, so he got credit. That could turn out to be a big one.

khiladi

Reaction score
DallasEast;2496666 said:
In my opinion, Phillips was providing Stewart with as much elbow room as possible to better direct the defense. I do believe he wants Stewart to succeed as a coordinator and to do that he has to allow him to do it his way. Unfortunately, the team underachieved during the injury streak resulting in losses which backed the team into a corner. With the margin of error being too small for comfort and the season on the line, Phillips had to take control of the defense at midseason. If we were 7-2 (or better) instead of 5-4 going into the second Washington game, I think that he would have allowed Stewart to remain as the main signal caller for the defense.

I agree. That is why I think we were living by the zone and playing far-off. Brain had to keep everything in front of him.

This is a fault of Wade though, if it is true, which I suspect. Sometimes he is too loyal to his people, which harms himself. Now, the margin of error is too thin for him, plus I think Jerry Jones had enough. Even Wade said JJ came to him and asked him if he could get more involved in the defense.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
AmishCowboy;2496638 said:
Norm said the Schemes really haven't changed but that Campo convinced Wade to let the Corner's play press coverage something Wade doesn't really like.
Well that's just patently false. We run different personnel packages and we blitz more and differently.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I think he'd still have 19. But in that Browns and Eagles game I thought Ware and Ellis missed out on about 3 or 4 sacks a piece just by not wrapping up or for whatever reason. If Ware gets those sacks he's past 22 by now. But even if he doesn't get the record he has 19 sacks. That's an amazing achievement no one in the league can say they have.

newlander

Reaction score
Good point khiladi........ANTHONY SPENCER IS IN THE HOUSE......FINALLY!!!!!!!!!!

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
bbgun;2496619 said:
I'll consider him the real sack leader if he falls one short. The same way I consider Babe Ruth to be the real HR champ.
What if Donovan lays down like a whimpering sissy for the 23rd?

bbgun

Benched
Reaction score
jimnabby;2496665 said:
Why, you don't believe in Gastineau's 22 sacks?

Right you are. I forgot that Strahan finished a mere half sack ahead.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
percyhoward;2496684 said:
Against GB, when Ware ran Rodgers out of bounds near where Zack was standing. Zack was the nearest defender, so he got credit. That could turn out to be a big one.

So that's the one he's talking about. Yeah, it could be huge. If the rest of the line plays like they have been then I don't see a problem with Ware getting there.

tomson75

Brain Dead Shill
Reaction score
I remember when the media used to join in the fan's need to constantly ask about a comparison between Ware and Merriman.

I wonder how Wade feels about Ware now in comparison to his past pass rushers.

bbgun

Benched
Reaction score
Hostile;2497116 said:
What if Donovan lays down like a whimpering sissy for the 23rd?

No thanks. And it wouldn't be fair to Harvey Martin.