Wade On Felix

Doomsday

Rising Star
Reaction score
He has a specific role that he plays," Phillips said of Jones. "The plays that he works on, they aren't really come-from-behind plays. They are more normal game situation plays. We will be more and more comfortable with him as he learns more.

I dont understand Wade's logic at all when it comes to Felix. Is he saying that Felix isnt good in pass protection or what? We were tied up in the 3rd quarter and in it until midway through the 4th.

Anyway, it sucks we lose but I still think we will win 11 or 12 games and the NFC East. I just find Wade's mentality to be a bit puzzling at times.

ddh33

Reaction score
I think Wade sometimes just says things. It's not that he means it or really even believes it; he just gives any kind of answer.

I think they wanted to get Felix in the game more, but they weren't even getting Barber involved enough. Just a weird, stupid plan, and everyone has to take blame for it.

viman96

Thread Killer
Reaction score
Either do I. This game seemed perfect to run screens and draws for FJ.

AmishCowboy

if you ain't first, you're last
Reaction score
Hopefully the coaching staff learned a lesson yesterday.

superpunk

Reaction score
The only interpretation I see is that they don't want Felix in pass protection. Hence - his plays aren't really come from behind plays.

Doomsday

Rising Star
Reaction score
ddh33;2296996 said:
I think Wade sometimes just says things. It's not that he means it or really even believes it; he just gives any kind of answer.

I think they wanted to get Felix in the game more, but they weren't even getting Barber involved enough. Just a weird, stupid plan, and everyone has to take blame for it.

I use to think that but now we are 4 weeks into the season and Felix is barely on the field if ever. Granted they barely used MB3 last week but still its hard for me to believe with the all the man they were playing that we couldnt get Felix matched up on a LB out of the back field.

Hopefully they are just saving him so he doesnt hit that rookie wall, that is my only explanation except pass blocking skills.

NextGenBoys

Reaction score
ddh33;2296996 said:

:hammer:

dre1614

Reaction score
Barber has a tough time vs the Commanders for whatever reason.

2005-
10 carries 30 yards 0 tds
bad

2006-
8 carries 39 yards 1 td
7 carries 49 yards 0 td
good

2007-
15 carries 43 yards 0 td
6 carries -6 yards 0 td
bad

2008-
8 carries 26 yards 0 td
bad

Doomsday

Rising Star
Reaction score
Nice info dre1614, you would think that would be all the more reason to get Felix involved or get MB3 involved in the passing game.

For whatever reason we seem to struggle with the Lions and Commanders as of late. Not sure why just seems to be the way it is.

Da Hammer

The Natural
Reaction score
i was saying yesterday that the skins are big up front and their LB's arent that fast at all. some tosses to jones to the outside or moving him in motion would have killed the skins had we even tried...

viman96

Thread Killer
Reaction score
CrazyCowboy;2297107 said:
this is why Red Ball will be the coach in waiting.

what you talking about willis?

Garret can run FJ and Barber all he wants! He does not need Wade's permission to call running plays for either player.

links18

Reaction score
We were only down by a FG for most of the 2nd half. Why isn't that a normal game situation?

Eskimo

Reaction score
Maybe Felix isn't as good as he is cracked up to be and they don't want to expose him. I smell a bust.

dre1614

Reaction score
Eskimo;2297162 said:
Maybe Felix isn't as good as he is cracked up to be and they don't want to expose him. I smell a bust.

I hope you are joking

28 Joker

28 Joker
Reaction score
I posted this in a thread last night, but I will put my one cent in again.

Give Felix Jones the rock. Throw Felix Jones the rock. See Felix Jones make big play. It's elementary football 101. There is no excuse for not getting the ball in his hands one time in a game. Zero touches, nothing, zip, nadda. Running back is a quick transition like some have pointed out. Felix can block. In fact, he has done a good job with it. It isn't like Romo isn't taking shots as it is. I thought they killed him late in the game on the last drive.

Chris Johnson is playing in Tennessee, and he is blocking. I saw him get Vince Young hit on the thigh when he was beat while blocking. You know what, Tennessee stays with him. They don't baby him. They are playing him, because they need him. They have to have him, and he is doing a good job for them. He had two TDs yesterday against the Vikings.

I guess Dallas thinks they don't 'need' Felix. I don't think he would have played at all in Cleveland if Barber didn't get dinged. That is disturbing as a fan. I don't understand it. In my opinion, dialing up some plays for Felix Jones and getting him the football in space could have been the difference in a close football game. That is why he was drafted. The offense needed a spark and some explosion, and Felix could have provided it, but he never had a chance to get his fourth TD in four games. Garrett kept the ace up his sleeve and he needed to play it in a division game at home. I guess Dallas doesn't enjoy 60 yard TDs and game breaking plays.

In my opinion, Felix Jones should get at least 10-13 touches on offense per game unless you just want a kickoff return man with the 22 pick. In my opinion, I think he is a super-star type of player, and he needs to play. He is a difference maker and a game breaker. I was for drafing Felix at number 22, because I watched him play at Arkansas, and I knew how good he was. That is why I'm upset as a fan.

Felix Jones isn't a backup player, he is a legit franchise running back who can carry the load if he has to do that, imo. He doesn't have to do that in Dallas. That allows him to stay fresh, and it allows Barber to stay fresh, and that is a win/win for everyone involved (Barber, Felix, and Dallas). It would be a great combo if the coaches would use it.

I don't get it, and I've talked to others who agree with me. They see what Chris Johnson is doing, and they know how good Felix Jones is, because they saw him play at Arkansas and in his three games in Dallas.

The first time he touched the ball on offense, he took it right between the tackles and showed his underrated power by bullying his way into the endzone.

Please take Felix out of the garage, and take the training wheels off of him. We've seen what he can do. Play him! Treating him like a baby is ridiculous. His number should be called. How hard is it to hand him the freaking ball or run a screen or toss it to him or hand it to him?

I let you decide.

Cbz40

The Grand Poobah
Reaction score
September 28, 2008
Wade makes no sense

IRVING - Wade Phillips has said a lot of silly stuff during his two years with the Cowboys, but his explanation for why Felix Jones didn't get any offensive touches Sunday moves to the top of the list.

"He has a specific role he plays," Phillips said. "The plays that he works on, they aren't really come-from-behind plays. They are more normal-game-situation plays. We will be more and more comfortable with him as he learns more."

Come-from-behind plays? Learns more? What the heck is he talking about? Maybe if Jones got the ball more, the Cowboys wouldn't have been behind.

Bottom line: The Cowboys just haven't figured out yet how to use Jones correctly. It's ridiculous that a guy with his game-breaking speed and moves doesn't touch the ball once.

It's a good thing for Phillips and offensive coordinator Jason Garrett that Jones is a mild-mannered sort, because he certainly has plenty of reason to gripe about how he's being used.

StylisticS

Reaction score
Eskimo;2297162 said:

Let me finish this for you

[/sarcasm]

Right?

JohnsKey19

Reaction score
Against teams that are selling out to stop the run like Philly did and Washington, all it takes is Felix breaking the LOS or getting around the edge and he's gone. 1-2 bursts from Felix and suddenly that defense is less aggresive on 1st and 2nd down. I cant belive we didn't at least TRY!!!!

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
It is Jerry Jones' job to get the players. It is Wade and Jason's job to coach them and get them ready. Wade and Jason have had 3 months to get Felix ready. Jerry needs to give Wade and Jason a serious butt whooping at the woodshed.

And miraculously, by next week, Felix is ready. Go figure!