Wade Phillips will remain even if he has a Subpar season !!!

garyv

Reaction score
I still believe Wade Phillips will remain with the Dallas Cowboys as their DC even if he has a subpar season. I think if the Cowboys make a change it will be Mike Shanahan as HC and they will retail Wade as DC. Both he and Shanahan have worked together before and no one Questions Wades abilities as a DC. I just think that Wade will have nothing better to go too and there definitely want be a HC Position anytime soon for him, so if offered which I believe it would be, why would he uproot to at best be a lateral move as a DC somewhere else. The only way he leaves if the new Coach that the Boyz might be going after, simply can't live with Wade as DC.

garyv

Reaction score
Retail should be Retain. Also these comments are if Wade has a Subpar year, if he excels than who knows !!!

Doomsday101

Reaction score
garyv;2856487 said:
I still believe Wade Phillips will remain with the Dallas Cowboys as their DC even if he has a subpar season. I think if the Cowboys make a change it will be Mike Shanahan as HC and they will retail Wade as DC. Both he and Shanahan have worked together before and no one Questions Wades abilities as a DC. I just think that Wade will have nothing better to go too and there definitely want be a HC Position anytime soon for him, so if offered which I believe it would be, why would he uproot to at best be a lateral move as a DC somewhere else. The only way he leaves if the new Coach that the Boyz might be going after, simply can't live with Wade as DC.

I'm pulling for Wade and hope he can get the team to the top but even I think this team has to make the post season and do something once they get there if not I don't think he will remain. As for the defense Wade is not the only man who can operate a 3-4 defense and more teams are starting to move towards the 3-4. I do not think Wade will keep a job if fired as a HC, that just does not happen.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Replaced head coaches do not normally accept demotions to coordinator status on their same team. The likelihood that Phillips will remain with the team as a coach in any capacity is too small to compute. A move up into the front office isn't out of the question, though.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
A couple weeks ago on 103.3, the show hosts were saying that on the show before theirs, Steve Dennis was saying he thought it was a real possibility that Wade would stay on as DC even if he got fired as HC.

I can't see that happening, and Mosley didn't agree that Wade would do that, but Dennis is out at Valley Ranch almost every day and does know a lot of people out there. He doesn't have many opinions that aren't at least partially supported by what he hears out there.

I still doubt it, because Wade could always go somewhere else and be a DC without the aggravation of staying here and hearing from the DFW media what a terrible job he did. But after hearing what Dennis said, and the way we drafted all these defensive players Wade seemed to have a lot of input into (like Brandon Williams), I wonder at least a little. It would be ideal to have him stay on and be our Dick Lebeau and just run the D in the background for years without constantly changing coaches and systems.

Eh, but really, does anyone else remember a time when there were so many threads about the next coach before the season has even started? Today is the official kickoff of training camp and the year for 2009. I think I'm just going to enjoy it.

Maikeru-sama

Mick Green 58
Reaction score
If Wade Phillips doesn't win a Playoff Game this year, he is done in Dallas.

The fact that he hasn't signed an extension gives me the impression that Jerry Jones is taking a wait and see approach.

Furthermore, if Jason Garrett is promoted to Head Coach, no way does Wade Phillips take a demotion to DC and now answer to someone that was his subordinate last season.

That's if he has any pride.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Maikeru-sama;2856517 said:

The fact that he hasn't signed an extension gives me the impression that Jerry Jones is taking a wait and see approach.

Furthermore, if Jason Garrett is promoted to Head Coach, no way does Wade Phillips take a demotion to DC and now answer to someone that was his subordinate last season.

He hasn't been offered an extension and I don't think he will be.

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
DallasEast;2856490 said:
Replaced head coaches do not normally accept demotions to coordinator status on their same team. The likelihood that Phillips will remain with the team as a coach in any capacity is too small to compute. A move up into the front office isn't out of the question, though.

that is true, but think about this;
who or what team would hire wade phillips if he doesnt get the cowboys to a playoff game and win?
Wade has never, never won a playoff game when he was a head coach, never so far.
So, what team would want him as a head coach;

i think wade sees the light at the end of the tunnel too, if he fails this as a head coach, then he most likely accept a defensive coordinator job. Now, it might not be with dallas, but like this post said. If shanahan is signed next year as head coach, then, i think wade would work with shanahan.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Maikeru-sama;2856517 said:

If Phillips would stay as a DC (unlikely), it would undoubtedly be with someone he would defer to, like an experienced head coach. I don't believe he'd play second fiddle to Garrett. I think he would have worked with Reeves if he had worked out as an overseer.

And there is one thing to consider. The NFL recently ruled that there is no limitation on what "consultants" can do. For example, both Howard Mudd and Tom Moore will be on the sidelines quite a bit assisting their two replacements with the Colts. In the event Phillips is fired as HC, he could still play a significant role in a similar role.

This might have been the track we were going with Reeves when all of that blew up. If "consultants" can do pretty much anything on gamedays, it opens up some creative scenarios.

RoadRunner

Reaction score
I just can't see Wade sticking around in any capacity if 2009 is a repeat of 2008.

craig71

Aut Viam Inveniam Aut Faciam
Reaction score
Who knows what will happen,it'll come down to what Jerry's goals are for Wade.Stephen Jones may have some influence in the decision also,there are to many variables to account for,Jerry being the biggest variable there is.You would also have to account for such things as team revenue,attendance,etc..

As far as Wade being canned only to return as d. coordinator,who knows.However when Vermeil replaced Cunningham in Kansas City,Cunningham was brought back to coordinate the defense 2 or 3 years after being canned as the head man.

When it comes down to winning,any franchise will make any deal to try to ensure a winning campaign.And we all know Jerry will try anything to be a winner.So if that meant replacing Wade only to bring him back as a consultant or a coordinator I am sure he would do it.The obstacle being able to coax Wade into returning in a subordinate role,and Jerry just happens to be able to sell central heat to the devil himself.

Craig

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I really do like Wade.

A great guy and great coach.

But I did not even want him back this year.

Hated the way he handled that mess last year ..... hated the way he handled the press ...... hated how everything seemed to be out of control.

I want Mike Holmgren, Jason Garrett, Mike Shanahan or Jon Gruden in that order.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
craig71;2856655 said:
Who knows what will happen,it'll come down to what Jerry's goals are for Wade.Stephen Jones may have some influence in the decision also,there are to many variables to account for,Jerry being the biggest variable there is.You would also have to account for such things as team revenue,attendance,etc..

As far as Wade being canned only to return as d. coordinator,who knows.However when Vermeil replaced Cunningham in Kansas City,Cunningham was brought back to coordinate the defense 2 or 3 years after being canned as the head man.

When it comes down to winning,any franchise will make any deal to try to ensure a winning campaign.And we all know Jerry will try anything to be a winner.So if that meant replacing Wade only to bring him back as a consultant or a coordinator I am sure he would do it.The obstacle being able to coax Wade into returning in a subordinate role,and Jerry just happens to be able to sell central heat to the devil himself.

Craig
Three years. Returning to the franchise one or more seasons after being fired would be more logical to assume than for Phillips to accept an immediate demotion.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
cowboyjoe;2856535 said:
that is true, but think about this;
who or what team would hire wade phillips if he doesnt get the cowboys to a playoff game and win?
Wade has never, never won a playoff game when he was a head coach, never so far.
So, what team would want him as a head coach;

i think wade sees the light at the end of the tunnel too, if he fails this as a head coach, then he most likely accept a defensive coordinator job. Now, it might not be with dallas, but like this post said. If shanahan is signed next year as head coach, then, i think wade would work with shanahan.
1. Phillips appeal as a defensive coordinator is high, so his chances of being re-hired elsewhere in that capacity would also be high.

2. If Phillips isn't willing to retire at that stage, his options shall not be limited to head coaching vacancies.

3. I believe you're putting a lot of personal faith in a possibility which has basically never happened before in the NFL, but anything is possible.

craig71

Reaction score
DallasEast;2856801 said:
Three years. Returning to the franchise one or more seasons after being fired would be more logical to assume than for Phillips to accept an immediate demotion.

It would seem to be more logical to assume that,however when has logic prevailed in Dallas.

Thanks for clarifying the timespan for Cunninghams return to KC.

Craig

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
craig71;2856843 said:
It would seem to be more logical to assume that,however when has logic prevailed in Dallas.

Thanks for clarifying the timespan for Cunninghams return to KC.

Craig
Good question. One example illustrating that would be the signing and waiving of Terrell Owens.

On the one hand, some considered Owens' signing as logical and his waiver as illogical. On the other hand, others thought the exact opposite.

Those kinds of things are enough of a quandary to give half-human/half-Vulcans [strike]on meth[/strike] migraines.

craig71

Reaction score
DallasEast;2856865 said:
Good question. One example illustrating that would be the signing and waiving of Terrell Owens.

On the one hand, some considered Owens' signing as logical and his waiver as illogical. On the other hand, others thought the exact opposite.

Those kinds of things are enough of a quandary to give half-human/half-Vulcans [strike]on meth[/strike] migraines.[/quote

This is true,when it comes to Cowboys football there is no right or wrong.Only stages of disagreement,paranoia and other mental imbalances.Some which have yet to be diagnosed properly and obviously have gone untreated.

Craig