Wade Press Conference at 1pm CDT..."Audibled out of run too much"

khiladi

Reaction score
This guy actually thinks that we are close to getting interceptions. He's acting like we are close, but just not getting there....

:lmao: :lmao:

Seriously, they need to stop asking him about T.O. and ask him about his soft-zone coverages... Horrible media...

kmp77

Reaction score
My respect for Wade as a coach is on the decline. He's just too soft and doesn't see things the way they are :(

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
The only two I can remember that we were super close to getting was one by Jones in Cleveland, where he jumped the route and just didn't catch it, and then Jones again against the Packers when the high ball hit him right in the hands and he didn't hold on.

Those are the only two situations were I can remember where we've actually been close to getting the picks.

khiladi

Reaction score
The media sucks. They didn't ask one question about how soft the corners are playing. Nothing about man-to-man press coverage....

Iago33

Reaction score
Are some of you are getting the link to work?

I went through all the upgrades, but I'm just getting an image with a line circling around and around and around and around....

It's working now.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Wade Phillips: Cowboys audibled out of run plays too much
1:36 PM Mon, Sep 29, 2008 | Permalink | Yahoo! Buzz
Tim MacMahon E-mail News tips

Offensive coordinator/assistant head coach Jason Garrett explained the Cowboys abandoning the running game in the loss to the Commanders by saying, "You have to aggressively take what the defense gives you."

Garrett's boss (by title, at least) doesn't necessarily agree with that philosophy. After watching the film, Wade Phillips came to the stunning conclusion that eight carries isn't enough for the talented RB tandem of Marion Barber and Felix Jones.

Tony Romo followed the game plan by calling audibles to passes on several called run plays when the Commanders showed an eight-man front. The Cowboys should have adjusted the game plan and given Barber (and Jones) a chance to impact the game.

"Sometimes we just need to run the ball," Phillips said. "We need to run Marion Barber up in there. We can still run on an eight-man front, and if he breaks it through there, he makes a big play for us."

Phillips accepted blame for the ridiculous run-pass mix, but his failure was not putting his foot down with the league's highest-paid assistant coach.

Comments (0) Leave comment | E-mail entry

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
WoodysGirl;2296329 said:

Offensive coordinator/assistant head coach Jason Garrett explained the Cowboys abandoning the running game in the loss to the Commanders by saying, "You have to aggressively take what the defense gives you."

Garrett's boss (by title, at least) doesn't necessarily agree with that philosophy. After watching the film, Wade Phillips came to the stunning conclusion that eight carries isn't enough for the talented RB tandem of Marion Barber and Felix Jones.

Tony Romo followed the game plan by calling audibles to passes on several called run plays when the Commanders showed an eight-man front. The Cowboys should have adjusted the game plan and given Barber (and Jones) a chance to impact the game.

"Sometimes we just need to run the ball," Phillips said. "We need to run Marion Barber up in there. We can still run on an eight-man front, and if he breaks it through there, he makes a big play for us."

Phillips accepted blame for the ridiculous run-pass mix, but his failure was not putting his foot down with the league's highest-paid assistant coach.

So Phillips doesn't control the offense and does he call defensive plays cuz if not why do we even pay this guy????

Boyzmamacita

CowBabe Up!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
BraveHeartFan;2296214 said:
The only two I can remember that we were super close to getting was one by Jones in Cleveland, where he jumped the route and just didn't catch it, and then Jones again against the Packers when the high ball hit him right in the hands and he didn't hold on.

Those are the only two situations were I can remember where we've actually been close to getting the picks.

Chris Canty almost had one yesterday.

Disturbed

A Mere Flesh Wound
Reaction score
So the focus is the offensive issues. Yes, we should have made adjustments and run more, but the focus should be on the defensive failures with Wade -- any game we allow more than 17 to 20 points is an issue, period.

The defense failed...quiz Phillips on that. Defenses Guru, yeah right.

Iago33

Reaction score
The guy really doesn't seem tuned in to what's wrong.

He doesn't think there's anything wrong with the scheme?

He's a well respected DC, but I have no confidence in him.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
WoodysGirl;2296329 said:

The Highest-paid assistant coach isn't the one calling audibles on the field.

JohnsKey19

Reaction score
Washington can not be THAT good defensively. To be able to play so much 8-man fronts effectively eliminating our running game AND still being able to play tight pass coverage. I'd guess that at least half of Romo's completions were in very tight coverage, which is unlike what we usually see from the Dallas offense.

dcdallaschick

Reaction score
Boyzmamacita;2296338 said:
Chris Canty almost had one yesterday.

This to me is the infuriating thing about our D in recent memory...they're the kings of the almost. Almost sack (they seem to have had a million of those), almost pick, almost stop on 3rd down but get a stupid penalty...

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
dcdallaschick;2296389 said:
This to me is the infuriating thing about our D in recent memory...they're the kings of the almost. Almost sack (they seem to have had a million of those), almost pick, almost stop on 3rd down but get a stupid penalty...

Almost only counts in horse shoes and hand grenades... and gettin' married.

Disturbed

A Mere Flesh Wound
Reaction score
I think our season may be very simple. 20 points or less by opponent and we win, any more than 20 points allowed and we lose.

Can you say defense.....how about marshmellow defense....

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
Disturbed;2296419 said:
I think our season may be very simple. 20 points or less by opponent and we win, any more than 20 points allowed and we lose.

Can you say defense.....how about marshmellow defense....

It's not that simple. We'll end up winning a game sometime this season where we score less than 17 points.

We already lost one where we scored more than 20.

And we allowed 37 and won a game.

stealth

Benched
Reaction score
All the fans said we should have run more, then wade comes out today and says we should have run more and now people are calling him a clueless fool because of it?

I have a hard time keeping up with things here sometimes.

superpunk

Reaction score
stealth;2296436 said:
All the fans said we should have run more, then wade comes out today and says we should have run more and now people are calling him a clueless fool because of it?

Hindsight is 20-20, and that's fine for us fans. Wade is being made to make that change IN-GAME, not make observations about it post-game.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
stealth;2296436 said:

:lmao2:

That's a pretty simplified version of it, but funny as hell nonetheless.

What people are not realizing is that we had a lot more run plays called, but Romo checked out of them cuz of the defensive alignment. Those people need to quit blaming Wade and Garrett. Romo is the one checking out of the plays, not the coaches.