Wade's Soft zone "D"

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
We haven't given up many big plays this year. We gave up 3 that I can recall against the Skins, one of which was more or less a trick play (the Portis run) and one of the others was a botched coverage assignment.

We're more or less getting slowly killed by the short passing game. And while we blame it on soft zone coverage, I see a lot of teams use soft zone coverage and do a good job on the short passes...or at least it seems.

YAKUZA

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
I recall an article and Wade saying we gave up 7 plays with 20 or more yards and 3 of which being 50 or more and last year at this time it was 11 plays of 20 or more.

Apparently this is what the article said
So far this season, the Cowboys have allowed a total of seven pass plays of 10 yards or more. Last year through the first four games, when the Cowboys played the Giants, Dolphins, Rams and Bears, the defense allowed 11.

http://cowboyszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=130519

^^^ link to article

masomenos

Less is more
Reaction score
YoMick;2306399 said:
You see... thats the thing... we dont really give up the big play... we let teams get new life(new set of downs too easily).... they extend their drives and our defense pays for it.

It wasnt long ago when we gave up alot of Big plays.... it seems the organization is scarred by it and wont be aggressive.

I cant put my finger on it.

Well, our defense allows 3rd down conversions 36% of the time, good for 11th in the league so we don't do that bad of a job. And we allow and average of 18.2 first downs per game, which is a little better than league average.

Deep_Freeze

Reaction score
We can get all the stats and excuses we want, but they just aren't getting it done. Whether its the players, coaches or what, something needs to change.....now.

As many resources as we have spent on this D, watching them is just pathetic. Theorically a zone can increase interceptions and also mask player deficiences, but since that isn't happening, we just as well be playing man.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
jobberone;2306436 said:
That's what I've been saying. Real or not that's what you have to assume.

Then that is a problem with the coaches. You are not going to be able to assemble more talent. Eventually you have to let go and let the players play.

tunahelper

Reaction score
As soft as we play TO would have 18 catches in 20 tries against this defense. We play well off WR's and umbrella everything and wear out our defense.

Dying the slow death is how BP described it once.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Deep_Freeze;2307145 said:
We can get all the stats and excuses we want, but they just aren't getting it done. Whether its the players, coaches or what, something needs to change.....now.

As many resources as we have spent on this D, watching them is just pathetic. Theorically a zone can increase interceptions and also mask player deficiences, but since that isn't happening, we just as well be playing man.

That is what I do not understand. We are playing a scheme designed to allow a player to see the ball to make plays and we aren't making any. I mean any. No interceptions. Not even a bunch of passes defensed.

The players look uncomfortable and it shows on the field.

Deep_Freeze

Reaction score
Alexander;2307156 said:
That is what I do not understand. We are playing a scheme designed to allow a player to see the ball to make plays and we aren't making any. I mean any. No interceptions. Not even a bunch of passes defensed.

The players look uncomfortable and it shows on the field.
Yeah, the D is really the root of the problem on this team. Headlines are still talking blah blah blah about the offense, but the D is a problem now and will continue to be the issue holding this team back from the next step.

We aren't even getting the results a zone is supposed to help a defense get. The whole situation just disgusts me, our personnel are supposed to be among the best in the league, our results from it are horrible.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
NextGenBoys;2306556 said:
Dude, come on can you at least spit something relevant to the threat?

You dont have to jack up your post count that way.

Go Cowboys! All the way!!!!!!!

It's only been a season and one quarter and already I am sick of this clown Wade.

Jerra put all the pieces there and left out the coach ingredient.
Jerra, do something. This coach will make you grind your teeth all year. And in the end, he'll break your heart.

Brandon

Benched
Reaction score
Just hire Rex Ryan, make him the head coach, and show Wade how you REALLY run a 3-4.

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
Our defense is not that bad. But it can do better. But because of hiring Campo back into our coaching staff I'm afraid to say that the "bend but don't break" philosophy is back.

Its still Brian Stewarts call. But he's decided that thats the type of football were going to play. We practiced playing the softzone rather than press defense during the preseason. Now its the main staple of our defense........dispite the talent and skill that is made for playing the press. You may disagree but the evidence speaks for itself.

Lastly, the reason why those short passes are killing us is because were giving way too much cushion. Yeah its obvious of course. But last year we were pressing and jumping those short passing lanes. I don't know why they decided that its better to let them catch the ball rather than to press? Thats why I think Campo has something to do with this.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
Alexander;2307149 said:
Then that is a problem with the coaches. You are not going to be able to assemble more talent. Eventually you have to let go and let the players play.

Alexander, the problem is injured players, players new to the team and defense, new and rookies, almost new and very inexperienced, and 1/2 the safties out.

You can't fix that except with time, coaching and players improving themselves.

Having said that I believe they should pick their moments to allow AJ to play press and give less cushion. The fourth quarter last week would have been a good time to change up the scheme some. It would at least create a little confusion. If you need the ball back you may have to change up your play. So there's both sides of the equation.

And it wouldn't hurt them in the game today against a winless Cin team to get some time in with more aggressive zone play and some man/press play. That D could use some confidence builders.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
Rack;2306342 said:
Not 100% sure on this, but I'm pretty sure we've given up the least amount of "Big plays" in the NFL.

we've had at least one huge play given up every game, save Cleveland. And they had an easy long TD that Edwards dropped.

the bottom line is with all the athletic ability this defense has, they should be turned loose...you dont spend tons of 1st and 2nd rd picks, and tons of cap dollars to have a bend but dont break defense that cant get key stops to save their life.