Walking/running - Plantar fasciitis

Sarek

Povar
Reaction score
So i been walking and some light running everyday for a few years now. Recently about two to three months ago i started experiencing a painful almost burning like feeling in the bottom of both feet in the heel area. I have torn both calf muscles in the past and still have pain there daily and am wondering if the pain i feel in both heels is connected to the torn calf muscles. I been icing both heels daily for a few weeks now and no improvement yet. It actually hurts more when i am sitting compared to walking. I'm guessing there is a possibility this issue is connected to the kind of sneakers i am currently using for walking/running. From the research iv'e done online it seems i got Plantar fasciitis.

Anyone else ever had this, did you get better, how long till it got better, etc etc?

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
So i been walking and some light running everyday for a few years now. Recently about two to three months ago i started experiencing a painful almost burning like feeling in the bottom of both feet in the heel area. I have torn both calf muscles in the past and still have pain there daily and am wondering if the pain i feel in both heels is connected to the torn calf muscles. I been icing both heels daily for a few weeks now and no improvement yet. It actually hurts more when i am sitting compared to walking. I'm guessing there is a possibility this issue is connected to the kind of sneakers i am currently using for walking/running. From the research iv'e done online it seems i got Plantar fasciitis.

Anyone else ever had this, did you get better, how long till it got better, etc etc?
I thought plantar fasciitis was more in the balls of the feet, but I could be wrong. I highly recommend seeing a doctor, if you want to heal as quickly and completely as possible. The feet are something you don't want to do half-assed.

Sarek

Povar
Reaction score
I thought plantar fasciitis was more in the balls of the feet, but I could be wrong. I highly recommend seeing a doctor, if you want to heal as quickly and completely as possible. The feet are something you don't want to do half-assed.
It started when i got this new pair of sneakers. I kept thinking the sneakers will break in soon and this symptom would go away, no dice. I just saw my orthopedic like 2 weeks ago, it wasn't hurting that day and i forgot to mention it. The sneakers are Under Armour Men's Verge 2.0 Low GORE-TEX.
61dovnqRcjL._UX500_.jpg

Sarek

Povar
Reaction score
I used to use Under Armour Men's HOVR Sonic Running Shoe
3020978109_DEFAULT_DFB7395B82963.jpg

and never had any problems with the bottom of my feet, problem was these sneakers get worn down very quickly and i needed to buy a new pair every three months. Seems i may have to go back to these.

Sarek

Povar
Reaction score
Careful because if you're having these issues and you are trying to walk / run with it. It will causing you to naturally walk / run different that will end up causing more issues.
I got issues from head to toe already and have to keep walking daily to deal with them, i get what your saying, but i can't allow this problem with the heel pain to sideline me. I got sick of paying for new sneakers every three months so i bought this pair and they are much more durable for outdoor walking/running and will probably last a year or more which is nice. I'm either going to switch back or try out some cushioned sole and hope that does the trick. I never bought or used a cushioned sole before, i'm guessing Dr. Scholl's is a good product, probably going to buy those very soon.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yep, I have it, showed up in 94 and I made the mistake of letting my Internist give me a cortisone shot and that made it worse. It is the stretching of the Plantar that runs from the heel to the front of your foot.

I went to see a Podiatrist and had a custom orthotic made and he recommended Birkenstocks and Nikes at that time. Birks are still good but now they have companies that make shoes especially for that problem like ABEO and there are some others. I went to The Walking Company for a fitting. Brooks makes a good support walking/running shoe and I can actually feel the support and forced alignment of my feet.

I wear a lot of flip flops down here and they make special ones for that too. ABEO, Vionic and Tevas are good for that and I haven't had an issue since I became aware of what causes it and stay on the prevention course. I recommend seeing a Podiatrist and Sam is right, that one issue can affect other parts of your lower body and with calf issues, I wouldn't take any chances.

Sarek

Povar
Reaction score
I just bought.
Dr. Scholl’s Sport Insoles (Pack of 2) // Superior Shock Absorption and Arch Support to Reduce Muscle Fatigue and Stress on Lower Body Joints (for Men's 8-14, Also Available for Women's 6-10)......................Hoping this takes care of the situation.
91tQGlbMUqL._SL1500_.jpg

NumOneQB

Reaction score

I dealt with plantar fasciitis for almost a year and the absolute biggest thing that helped:

Get a hard ball (baseball, softball, croquet ball, etc) and roll it under your heel every day for about an hour. Push your heel into the ball and feel the pain while you roll. I used my wife’s heavy glass globe paperweight. Rolled that under my heel for an hour everyday and the improvements came almost immediately within a few days to full recovery within a couple of weeks. I was amazed. I’d been battling it for almost a year and was getting frustrated that the pain/soreness would improve a little then get right back to where I was. The rolling of the hard glass globe did it. The massaging of the heel breaks up any scar tissue.

When I first hurt the plantar tendon, my podiatrist recommended shoes with more cushion and NEVER walk on any hard flat surfaces without shoes. I have hard wood floors and tile in my house and walked on thick cushioned sandals in the house at all times. Stretch your calf and foot every morning before getting out of bed.

Everything the doctor recommended helped but I would seesaw back and forth with varying rates of pain and soreness. It wasn’t until I got serious about the massaging of the heel with the ball that I finally won the battle.

joseephuss

Reaction score
The cheapest part of any shoes are the insoles. Upgrade those. If needed a doctor can help you get custom made insoles. I've spoken to a few people that said the custom made ones healed them right up. The store bought ones worked for me. A few other people told me that cutting carbs and gluten helped because it reduced inflammation in their feet. It isn't fun dealing with the discomfort..

Sarek

Povar
Reaction score
I dealt with plantar fasciitis for almost a year and the absolute biggest thing that helped:

Get a hard ball (baseball, softball, croquet ball, etc) and roll it under your heel every day for about an hour. Push your heel into the ball and feel the pain while you roll. I used my wife’s heavy glass globe paperweight. Rolled that under my heel for an hour everyday and the improvements came almost immediately within a few days to full recovery within a couple of weeks. I was amazed. I’d been battling it for almost a year and was getting frustrated that the pain/soreness would improve a little then get right back to where I was. The rolling of the hard glass globe did it. The massaging of the heel breaks up any scar tissue.

When I first hurt the plantar tendon, my podiatrist recommended shoes with more cushion and NEVER walk on any hard flat surfaces without shoes. I have hard wood floors and tile in my house and walked on thick cushioned sandals in the house at all times. Stretch your calf and foot every morning before getting out of bed.

Everything the doctor recommended helped but I would seesaw back and forth with varying rates of pain and soreness. It wasn’t until I got serious about the massaging of the heel with the ball that I finally won the battle.
Will do, thanks :thumbup:

Sarek

Povar
Reaction score
The cheapest part of any shoes are the insoles. Upgrade those. If needed a doctor can help you get custom made insoles. I've spoken to a few people that said the custom made ones healed them right up. The store bought ones worked for me. A few other people told me that cutting carbs and gluten helped because it reduced inflammation in their feet. It isn't fun dealing with the discomfort..
Hoping the new insoles and therapy using a hardball make the problem go away. What's funny about this whole thing is that for a few days it's one foot then for a few days it's the other foot, and sometimes for a few days there is no pain and i think ok it's gone.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I just bought.
Dr. Scholl’s Sport Insoles (Pack of 2) // Superior Shock Absorption and Arch Support to Reduce Muscle Fatigue and Stress on Lower Body Joints (for Men's 8-14, Also Available for Women's 6-10)......................Hoping this takes care of the situation.
91tQGlbMUqL._SL1500_.jpg
Seriously, if you don't take care of it right, you could screw up your knees, back, hips, etc.

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Careful because if you're having these issues and you are trying to walk / run with it. It will causing you to naturally walk / run different that will end up causing more issues.
I was just about to say the same thing. In many cases, you don't even realize that your mechanics (movements) change to minimize or avoid feeling pain. All it takes is using one muscle or ligament more often than you usually do before it affects even more areas of your body.

Since it is both feet, my guess would be that it is arch-related rather than a medical issue. Keep in mind the shape of your foot can be affected by even a small amount of height adjustment in arch support.

I would suggest not wearing those shoes for a while. Instead, wear older shoes that you had no issues with and see if the pain goes away. If you don't have older shoes to use, stick to the same brand at least.

Oz-of-Cowboy-Country

Reaction score
Funny that this thread was created today. I normally ride a bicycle for exercise but last night I went for a light jog. Woke up this morning and both of my heels were hurting. It went away in like three minutes but I was wondering what the heck is this. So I guess I need to buy better shoes before I go jogging again.

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Funny that this thread was created today. I normally ride a bicycle for exercise but last night I went for a light jog. Woke up this morning and both of my heels were hurting. It went away in like three minutes but I was wondering what the heck is this. So I guess I need to buy better shoes before I go jogging again.
It's not always better shoes, but ones that just fit better with your feet.
I always bought Nike sneakers, but a few years ago I decided to buy a pair of New Balance. The first time I wore them to a local park for some exercise, my feet were hurting before I even left.

I gave them to my dad and bought another pair of Nike shoes and have ever since without any foot issues.

My dad on the other hand had the same problem with Nike shoes, so it's less about the brand and more about what fits your feet best.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I was just about to say the same thing. In many cases, you don't even realize that your mechanics (movements) change to minimize or avoid feeling pain. All it takes is using one muscle or ligament more often than you usually do before it affects even more areas of your body.

Since it is both feet, my guess would be that it is arch-related rather than a medical issue. Keep in mind the shape of your foot can be affected by even a small amount of height adjustment in arch support.

I would suggest not wearing those shoes for a while. Instead, wear older shoes that you had no issues with and see if the pain goes away. If you don't have older shoes to use, stick to the same brand at least.
I was thinking the same thing, but since he mentioned the arch support I assumed he'd already considered that.

Jammer

Retired Air Force Guy
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I've had it twice. Hate it. I bought a boot to sleep in from Amazon. After a couple of weeks it finally went away. I know the symptoms now, so when I feel it coming on, I stop running and do lots of stretching in my feet and I wear the boot.