Walt Garrison - The Cowboys Cowboy

Doomsday101

Reaction score
alt Garrison played running back for the Dallas Cowboys while Tom Landry was their head coach. He played in Super Bowl V and Super Bowl VI.

Walt Garrison was noted as one of the NFL’s toughest players. He played in the 1970 NFC Championship with a broken collarbone. He competed in the professional rodeo circuit during the off-season and is often referred to as, “The Cowboys’ Cowboy.” Not only was he regarded as one of the NFL’s toughest players, he remains a very popular player in Dallas Cowboys history, not only to Cowboys fans but even to NFL fans of rival teams.

WALT GARRISON’S HOMETOWN AND CHILDHOOD
Walt Garrison grew up in Lewisville, Texas. He dreamed of becoming a professional rodeo rider. His favorite rodeo stars included Jim Shoulders, Harley May, and Dean Oliver.

In the football history book The Game before the Money: Voices of the Men Who Built the NFL, Garrison stated that his small high school had sports teams only in football, basketball, track, and baseball. He added that everyone played because there weren’t very many students. He also was on the rodeo team.
WALT GARRISON OKLAHOMA STATE CAREER
Walt was offered a football scholarship at Oklahoma State and a rodeo scholarship at a junior college. He said that he wanted to go to junior college for rodeo but his father convinced him that four years of education was better than the two that the junior college offered.

Walt enrolled at Oklahoma State. Sammy Baugh was Garrison’s freshman football coach. Walt Garrison played linebacker his freshman year, as he had done in high school.
Oklahoma State then hired Phil Cutchin as its varsity head coach. Cutchin was a former assistant to Bear Bryant at Alabama and Texas A&M (as an assistant coach for the famed Junction Boys team). He also played for Bryant at Kentucky. Cutchin put Oklahoma State players through rigorous practices and many quit the team. Walt’s father told him it was okay if he was cut from the team if he wasn’t good enough but warned him not to quit.
https://www.thegamebeforethemoney.com/walt-garrison-dallas-cowboys-nfl/?fbclid=IwAR22oktsePoM0YH8QPsvTFx0JBVBWU3ySmAbj0dQD_EKpil13dO8pzY4IHI

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I met Walt Garrison last year in a restaurant in Grapevine. He is a true gentleman, completely unaffected by his Cowboys fame. I was a little surprised how small in stature he is. And he was clearly a little slowed by his age. But he was such a kind, humble gentleman who took as much interest in me as I did in him. Class act.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
I met Walt Garrison last year in a restaurant in Grapevine. He is a true gentleman, completely unaffected by his Cowboys fame. I was a little surprised how small in stature he is. And he was clearly a little slowed by his age. But he was such a kind, humble gentleman who took as much interest in me as I did in him. Class act.

Everyone I've ever talked to had nice things to say about him. My son in law met him in a restaurant, also, and fondly recalls it often!

Last edited:

RS12

Reaction score
Perhaps not. He used to say, if you need 3 yards, he'd get you 3 yards!

On the other hand, if you needed 5 or 6 yards, he'd get you 3 yards! :D

He said that jokingly. He was a fine fullback, who'd get the tough yards!
This. Seemed to always move the chains or make a play. Tougher than a $2 steak.

GenoT

Reaction score
While Walt was on the field, he never took a play off. If he was suited up, he’d play the whole game if that’s what was required.

His commitment remains unchallenged.