Want to focus on offense?

CCBoy

Reaction score
Focus upon a true fullback, tight end, and running back...

Anthony Sherman (free agent)
A bit of an underrated name, Anthony Sherman was another Pro Bowl player this season for Kansas City. Being brought back on a one-year "prove it" deal, he more than outplayed his contract.

The Cowboys' current fullback, Jamize Olawale, did play as well as people had hoped. He played well on special teams, but as a blocker for Ezekiel Elliott and a receiver out of the backfield (see the Colts game). Olawale was a very valuable player to Oakland but he wasn’t able to replicate the same success in Dallas.

Sherman might want to come back to Kansas City but not only do the Cowboys have more cap room in 2019 but the possibility of playing with arguably the best running back in football might be too big to pass up. Just imagine the next Daryl Johnston and Emmitt Smith.

https://insidethestar.com/7-free-ag...ecarter&utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=twitter

(Give diversity and backup strength to running back. Then acquire a Red Zone and downfield threat at tight end. (or intensely develop depth with the current young tight ends on roster. Target a running back and defensive tackle high up in the draft.
For this fan, I would sign Thomas as a safety, then sign DeMarcus Lawrence)...

Much has been made about the Dallas Cowboys 2019 free agent class. Dallas has a ton of cap space moving forward, but they are going to "have" to pay many of the key players on their roster over the next two offseasons in order to keep their young core together.

Of course, when you're drafting, that's the goal. To draft so well that when your own players become free agents, you go ahead and pay them to keep them around, rather than overpay on the free agent market for external players. One of the major pieces the Cowboys will have to retain this offseason is defensive end DeMarcus Lawrence. And while Cowboys Nation often thinks of Lawrence as underrated around the league, the NFL has caught onto his importance as he enters free agency this Spring. ESPN.com ranked their top 10 free agents for 2019, with DeMarcus Lawrence clocking in at number one, over elite players like Jadeveon Clowney and Le'Veon Bell.

DeMarcus Lawrence is going to command big time money, likely even Khalil Mack-type money. But the fact of the matter is that he has earned it. Lawrence has been the heart and soul of the Cowboys defensive line the last two seasons, and the most consistent edge player on the team as well. Not only has he been an effective pass rusher, but DeMarcus Lawrence also plays with a relentless motor against the run that can sometimes be rare to find in those premier pass rushers. He really is a jack of all trades at defensive end, and should be priority number one for the Cowboys this offseason.

https://insidethestar.com/demarcus-lawrence-named-top-free-agent-of-the-2019-class/

(With the tag possibilities, there could fully be two to three seasons to complete the re-signing of all the other players under present considerations. Sooner here, is frequently better...but don't rush it. Dallas just cleared over $30 million in dead money.)

Last edited:

Captain43Crash

Reaction score
Last couple years he has gotten off to great starts and then slowed way down. He was pretty average vs the Rams. I don’t want him to leave, but I don’t want to over pay for him either. Over paying to many guys is why we have had holes in our lineup in the past and weak depth.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Last couple years he has gotten off to great starts and then slowed way down. He was pretty average vs the Rams. I don’t want him to leave, but I don’t want to over pay for him either. Over paying to many guys is why we have had holes in our lineup in the past and weak depth.

A heavy formation with a very strong blocking fullback can well push short yardage advantages. A good guard on the outside backed by a tight end and good blocking fullback, such as 'Moose.' Don't think the short yardages become easier to handle no matter how many are in the box?

Traps, mis directions, and play action take advantage of any negative accumulations, then.

One either makes the 'jumbo' work or expands options...

Last edited:

CCBoy

Reaction score
5 Largest Targets for off season:

1. Dealing with DeMarcus Lawrence
2. Making Big Adjustments to the Offense
3. Continue Building the Wide Receiver Corp
4. Safety
5. Defensive Tackle

2 In an era when most of the NFL is attempting to spread things out with 11 and 10 personnel, the Cowboys continue to force two and three tight end formations. A 'new' perspective on play useage.

3 On offense, the passing game began to take shape in the second half of the season as Dak Prescott began to get more comfortable with Amari Cooper and Michael Gallup. They'll make a nice 1-2 punch heading into 2019, but there is still room for adding a player or two. Depending on the type of contract he'd want, it would be great to bring back Cole Beasley. It's become clear that he's not as big of a focal point in the offense since Amari Cooper has emerged, but he's still a good player that can make some big catches for you.

If the team looked to the draft, one player that is high on my list is Oklahoma Wide Receiver Marquise Brown. He's a home run hitter in every stretch of the imagination. With speed for days, he could be the field stretcher that the team has struggled to find. Not only does he have speed, he's an excellent route runner and has excellent hands and spends the offseason training with Steelers Wide Receiver and cousin Antonio Brown.

If the Cowboys wanted to go the free agency route to add a wide receiver, they should look at Jamison Crowder of the Washington Commanders or Adam Humphries of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers to fill their slot wide receiver role. If you remember back to the Bucs game, Humphries was giving the Cowboys fits totaling 10 catches on 12 targets for 79 yards. Crowder struggled with injuries this season and had a down year, but that could mean he'd be cheap to sign, which is the way the Dallas Cowboys do free agency. https://insidethestar.com/top-5-offseason-priorities-for-the-dallas-cowboys/

Both Irving and a $10 million contract with Tyrone Crawford could both be gone? Then where does the trail lead?

Last edited:

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
Last couple years he has gotten off to great starts and then slowed way down. He was pretty average vs the Rams.

Cowboys rushed for 50 yards vs the Rams. The Saints rushed for 48. Both teams averaged 2.3 yards per carry and you're talking about Zeke, Kamara, and Ingram.

I think the Rams defense had a little something to do with it.

anava

Reaction score
Cowboys rushed for 50 yards vs the Rams. The Saints rushed for 48. Both teams averaged 2.3 yards per carry and you're talking about Zeke, Kamara, and Ingram.

I think the Rams defense had a little something to do with it.
I thought I read or heard somewhere he had more rushing yards after contact than he did for the game. Which means he was getting hit behind the line of scrimmage routinely

silvrNblue

Reaction score
There are still some glaring needs on this team. I'm not going to sit here and even act like I know exactly what they are, much less WHO fills them. We all know, and the Rams game proved it, a big body on the D line, supposedly this draft is DT heavy, we will see, my only prayer is we don't go draft another Taco type player in the 2nd and start seeing all the deficiencies talk about him are true. I feel if we get a solid DT who can make an impact right out the blocks, then we are in pretty decent shape. Other then that we also know our safeties are not all that. let's go grab a vet, if one can be had on the cheap side. Then again, use the draft to grab a good scat back type to spell Zeke and keep defense's off balance with our run attack. I believe we should resign R Smith, and let HIM be our lead blocker FB for Zeke. I believe we can sign him at a fair price and keep him here. Draft a stud slot receiver, there seems to be a good amount this year also, maybe a TE and bring in or draft another kicker to compete with Maher. it's my opinion these stand out as actual needs, the DT being #1... address that then go get BAP.

ShiningStar

Reaction score
i wnt to see which OC we get first before i focus. So far im leaning defensive as KR has proven his worth. But who is OC can make a difference but it has to be a quality name. If not, and im ok wiht that, but my focus is going defense because offense has had lot of attention and really comes down to who is implementing it.