Want To Know Why Philly Will Stay On Top?

Reaction score
by Kyle Trembley :: 5/2/06 Email him...
1. Philadelphia Eagles - A+
14. Brodrick Bunkley, DT Florida State
39. Winston Justice, OT USC
71. Chris Gocong, OLB Cal Poly
99. Max Jean-Gilles, OG Georgia
109. Jason Avant, WR Michigan
147. Jeremy Bloom, WR Colorado
168. Omar Gaither, OLB Tennessee
204. LaJuan Ramsey, DT USC

Rarely is it clear which team "won" the draft, but this year it's no contest. The Philadelphia Eagles have proven over the last few years that the team absolutely "gets it" when it comes to the draft, but this year the franchise has outdone itself. Everyone knew the team wanted either Brodrick Bunkley or Winston Justice with its first pick; but I doubted that either would be available. However, both were, and the team opted for Bunkley. Then when Winston Justice fell to the second round, Philadelphia moved up and snagged him. To get the top two players on your draft board without selling the farm is an unbelievable accomplishment. But the fun didn't stop there. Chris Gocong provides the team with a pass-rushing complement to Jevon Kearse on third downs, and will make an instant impact on this defense. Max Jean-Gilles was regarded as the best guard in this draft for most of the off-season, but weight concerns pushed him down to the fourth round, where he's an absolute steal. Jason Avant is the best possession receiver in this draft, whereas Jeremy Bloom is one of the most explosive, and both are nice value where Philly selected them. Basically, from top-to-bottom this draft is a masterpiece. Philadelphia not only addressed all its needs, but got great value with nearly every pick (and incredible value with the Justice and Jean-Gilles picks). There's not much more to say; this is one of the best drafts I've seen in the last decade.

Couldn't have said it better myself. For the past several years, the Eagles have "gotten" it when it comes to adding players to their roster. They know just what they want, & they go get them.

The Cowboys, on the other hand, had a decent draft last year. That is in direct contradiction to all other drafts of this decade. In 2006, they got back to their reaching ways...taking players way before they needed to, at positions where they had less need. This is why they have such a mess at QB-they have one of the worst offensive lines in the NFL & have done almost nothing to address it. Their best OL, Flozell Adams, is playing hurt or doesn't care. Either way, he should not be in there. Some of the sacks he's given up this year are painful to watch. He just gives a nominal effort, then makes no extra effort to stop the player from rushing past him. The rest try harder, but don't have the talent to do anything about it. Columbo doesn't even know he is the last player on the line, & lets rushers go right by as he turns to help the OG!!
Here is the opinion about their draft:

22. Dallas Cowboys - C
18. Bobby Carpenter, OLB Ohio State
53. Anthony Fasano, TE Notre Dame
92. Jason Hatcher, DE Grambling State
125. Skyler Green, WR LSU
138. Pat Watkins, S Florida State
182. Motavious Stanley, DT Louisville
211. Pat McQuistan, OT Weber State
224. E.J. Whitley, C Texas Tech

After last year's draft, I was expecting great things from the Cowboys; but I don't quite understand what the team was doing this year. Carpenter is a reach at 18 in my opinion, especially when you consider that Lawson was on the board. I highly doubt he'll have anywhere close to the impact that DeMarcus Ware did last year, and I would've rather seen the team take a more explosive player to join Ware in terrorizing quarterbacks. The Fasano pick makes no sense to me; I don't think he was the best tight end on the board at the time, and Dallas has much, much bigger needs in the secondary. Jason Hatcher fits the defense, but is a major reach in the third. Skyler Green is a pure speed player who has very poor timed speed, so I'm not sure about his NFL potential. Conversely, Pat Watkins looks great on paper, but the fact that a super-athletic 6'5 safety fell to the fifth round indicates that he's got serious issues relating to his understanding of the game. To sum it up, I just don't understand these selections by Dallas, and I think the team could've done a lot more to improve itself.

I just hope to God that Parcells & his staff is long gone come next draft. He's done nothing to improve this team. Doubt it? How about the fact that his record is .500 for the past 3+ yrs. I just pray we can beg Jim Tressel out of his job at OSU. Wouldn't that be awesome?? Dallas would then be the dynasty it once was. The man treats his players like he wants to be treated. Enough said.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
ok, whatever...but basically none of their picks this yr are making any positive contribution...not sure what you are basing your post on...I even found this:

Eagles | Team wants Bunkley to step up
Sat, 28 Oct 2006 09:12:09 -0700

Les Bowen, of the Philadelphia Daily News, reports Philadelphia Eagles defensive coordinator Jim Johnson said first-round rookie DL Brodrick Bunkley "still has to pick it up a little bit." Bunkley agrees his rookie season is not everything he could have wished for. He has not tackles and no assists in the last four games. "I'd like to make more plays. I have to make more valuable use of the time I'm in there," said Bunkley. Head coach Andy Reid suggested Bunkley is still missing some things he would have grasped better if he had shown up to training camp on time. Reid added, "I think he's catching up from the small things that you learn during training camp. But he's improving. That's the important thing that you have to look at. If he was going backwards on it, and you didn't see signs of improvement, then you'd be more concerned."