Want Young? Titans need about $50M

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Wondering what it might take to get quarterback Vince Young into the fold with the Tennessee Titans?

The structuring of the deal and the amount of the signing bonus are yet to be determined, but a package somewhere in the neighborhood of $50 million, with approximately 40 to 50 percent of that amount guaranteed, is probably what it will take to bring the No. 3 overall pick under contract.

When NFL rookies are signed, several factors are weighed. The league has generally used a slotting system for contracts, meaning the higher a player was selected, the more money he can generally expect to receive at contract time.

Also, contracts from the previous season are looked at as well, with a slight increase usually in the amount of the rookie pool increase factored in.

As well, in Young’s case, as a quarterback, he can also generally expect a little bigger payday than players at other positions.

When the Houston Texans pulled a draft day surprise by agreeing to terms with defensive end Mario Williams over running back Reggie Bush, that deal helped set the bar for this year’s draft.

Williams agreed to a six-year, $54 million deal. The contract did not include a signing bonus for Williams, but according to reports, contains $26.5 million in guaranteed money over the first two years of the deal.

What happens in regards to Bush and his demands from the New Orleans Saints could also play a factor as well, as could the deal with D’Brickashaw Ferguson at No. 4 with the New York Jets.

But as a quarterback, Young’s agent, Major Adams, says the $49.5 million contract Alex Smith landed as the No. 1 overall pick in San Francisco in 2005 will be part of the equation as well.

“I’m sure all those are the parameters we’ll be looking at,” Adams said. “We’ll take into consideration what the first quarterback got last year, and what the first two picks get this year. It’ll be a little bit different since they’re not quarterbacks.”

Young has said he wants to be in training camp by the time it opens July 28, and his Adams echoed that sentiment Monday.

“I don’t anticipate any problems in getting a deal done. They’ve treated us great the whole time, because Vince was the guy they wanted all along,” Adams said.

LITTLE INTEREST: The NFL supplemental draft is scheduled for Thursday, and most onlookers consider Virginia linebacker Ahmad Brooks the biggest prize in the draft.

The supplemental draft is for players who for one reason or another were not available in the regular phase of the draft. Teams submit what round they will draft a player in, and the team that lands the player forfeits that selection in the next April’s draft.

Barring them playing it close to the vest, the Titans appear to have only passing interest in Brooks, who projects as a middle linebacker.

First, the Titans are deep at linebacker, having added David Thornton to Keith Bulluck and Peter Sirmon as starters. They are also high on fourth-rounder Stephen Tulloch of N.C. State for the future, and are still expecting a big leap from Rob Reynolds in year three.

Also, Brooks has been bothered by some off-the-field issues, something the Titans were careful to avoid in this year’s draft.

“We have not talked to the Titans, but that doesn’t necessarily mean anything. Some teams do their due diligence without going through me,” said agent Greg Williams, who represents Brooks.

Other players available in the supplemental draft include Iowa State linebacker Jason Berryman and junior college linebacker David Dixon, as well as Texas fullback Ahmad Hall and defensive tackle Marco Martin, and N.C. State receiver Richard Washington.

The most intriguing of that lot might be Hall, who served as a U.S. Marine in Afghanistan.

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
Rookie contracts are out of control. The NFL needs a rookie cap in the worst way.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Yeagermeister said:
Rookie contracts are out of control. The NFL needs a rookie cap in the worst way.

Your not kidding. At that price if Young fails it is going to really hurt Tenn both in terms of salary cap and the ability to keep key players. It is amazing to see that cash being paid out for a player who has not done a single thing in the NFL. I don't fault Young but the league needs to get this under control

BlueStar22

Reaction score
Yeagermeister said:
I think it's going to be pretty hard to do that when the contracts in the league aren't guaranteed. Maybe they should guarantee rookie contracts and maybe they could do something similar to the NBA rookie contracts. They Players Union would never go for that though.

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
BlueStar22 said:
I think it's going to be pretty hard to do that when the contracts in the league aren't guaranteed. Maybe they should guarantee rookie contracts and maybe they could do something similar to the NBA rookie contracts. They Players Union would never go for that though.
I agree it will never happen.

Kangaroo

Reaction score
Yeagermeister said:

They need to do like the NBA rookie contracts; I think they should be 3 maybe 4 years long at most be scalled all 4 years at a rate.

This is why we have less vets that should be playing and have tons of 7th round rookies playing mid year due to injury when they should not even see the field except on special teams that year or the team is just so bad they are playing the young guys for some experience.

TheHustler

Reaction score
This guy has never played a down and looking to get $30 million gaurenteed.

This must piss off vets to no end.

jbsg02

Reaction score
i agree, it's getting rediculous. nba system is a lot better

the kid 05

Individuals play the game, but teams beat the odds
Reaction score
maybe one day one of the kids will stop being such a greedy s.o.b. and wont ask for alot

Vintage

The Cult of Jib
Reaction score
jbsg02 said:
i agree, it's getting rediculous. nba system is a lot better

Their system works bec. it has guaranteed contracts, hence, the rookie cap.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
If you pay him that kind of scratch, you better start him right away and get the most out of your investment.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
kowboys 05 said:
maybe one day one of the kids will stop being such a greedy s.o.b. and wont ask for alot
Let's remember that these kids' contract negotiations are also driven by their agent/lawyer's greed.

BlueStar22

Reaction score
remember Alex Smith's contract from last year. I think Young has a better chance at becoming a much better QB than Smith. 49ers should've tried to trade that pick last year or get somebody else.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Hostile said:
I like Vince, but he hasn't earned any of it yet.
Am I the only one who thinks that Vince Young is just the reincarnation of Michael Vick--only with more touch on the ball?

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
DallasEast said:
Am I the only one who thinks that Vince Young is just the reincarnation of Michael Vick--only with more touch on the ball?
No, quite a few people here feel that way.

superpunk

Reaction score
DallasEast said:

Shut that can of worms...

More accurately, the next failed spread option QB....