War of the Worlds was...

blindzebra

Reaction score
So-so.

Great effects, predictable story, and plenty of over-the-top acting.

It fell into the usual Spielberg trappings, syrupy ending and plenty of scenes that leave you saying, "Wow, that came right from this movie." He stole from the original, Signs, Minority Report, even Sophie's Choice.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
blindzebra said:
So-so.

Great effects, predictable story, and plenty of over-the-top acting.

It fell into the usual Spielberg trappings, syrupy ending and plenty of scenes that leave you saying, "Wow, that came right from this movie." He stole from the original, Signs, Minority Report, even Sophie's Choice.

Worth getting on DVD?

blindzebra

Reaction score
Doomsday101 said:
Worth getting on DVD?

The extras would probably make it worth it.

I'd say it would be better in the theater, it's a good popcorn movie. Entertaining, but not groundbreaking.

blindzebra

Reaction score
He stole from Fargo and the Evil Dead too, it just came to me.

Qwickdraw

Benched
Reaction score
It's going to be a trilogy.
Cruise signed on for all 3 movies and got certain royalty rights for them as well. He's banking off of this movie.
They're trying to cash in on the recent trilogy craze. (Lord of the Rings, Star Wars, Spiderman, The Matrix, Harry Potter, etc.)

Kangaroo

Reaction score
Qwickdraw said:
It's going to be a trilogy.
Cruise signed on for all 3 movies and got certain royalty rights for them as well. He's banking off of this movie.
They're trying to cash in on the recent trilogy craze. (Lord of the Rings, Star Wars, Spiderman, The Matrix, Harry Potter, etc.)

OK Did spieberg base this movie of the Original War of The Worlds movie or book ?

If this is a Trilogy is he basing the story line for the next two movies of the TV series which was a very well done show the 1st couple seasons. Yes there was a TV series War of the Worlds picking up after the 1st movie.

blindzebra

Reaction score
It followed the radio play and the original movie.

Two more movies he borrowed from The Abyss and Titanic.

LaTunaNostra

He Made the Difference
Reaction score
blindzebra said:
It followed the radio play and the original movie.

Two more movies he borrowed from The Abyss and Titanic.
Gosh, BZ..what didn't he rip off? :D

He deserves an Oscar for "best pieced together".

blindzebra

Reaction score
LaTunaNostra said:
Gosh, BZ..what didn't he rip off? :D

He deserves an Oscar for "best pieced together".

Without going into detail.

Fargo, there is a woodchipper-like scene.

Evil Dead, basement and lots of blood.

Titanic, boat sinking with propeller action.

The Abyss, we have a water snake-like scene.

Signs, too much to even mention.

Minority Report, mostly Cruise and that blueish feel.

Sophie's Choice, he makes a choice about his son and daughter.

Independence Day, again too much to mention.

Spielberg has always done this type of thing. When it works it's a homage, when it doesn't it's annoying.

Guess which I found it to be this time.:D

Avery

The Dog that Saved Charleston
Reaction score
90 minutes of the makings of a good summer flick blown away by a preposterous and downright insulting final 15 minutes.

Spielberg couldn't bring himself to deliver a product that didn't tie everything up into a neat little bow. I don't want to get into spoilers, but for as smart as aliens are supposed to be in movies, why do they lack common sense?

'Signs' ending was hilarious too. I have an idea: let's invade a planet composed of 75% water which is the only thing that can kill us. Outstanding thought, gentlemen.

LaTunaNostra

He Made the Difference
Reaction score
blindzebra said:

Fargo, there is a woodchipper-like scene.

Evil Dead, basement and lots of blood.

Titanic, boat sinking with propeller action.

The Abyss, we have a water snake-like scene.

Signs, too much to even mention.

Minority Report, mostly Cruise and that blueish feel.

Sophie's Choice, he makes a choice about his son and daughter.

Spielberg has always done this type of thing. When it works it's a homage, when it doesn't it's annoying.

Guess which I found it to be this time.:D
;)

I guess that's the anecdote for a filmmaker who fears his flicks are becoming formulaic. Follow ALL the formulas.

zagnut

Reaction score
blindzebra said:

Haven't seen War of the Worlds, but how can it steal from Independence Day? Independence Day seemed to steal from nearly every blockbuster movie ever. Heck, they even "paid homage" to several Spielberg movies (Jaws, Close Encounters, ET, Raiders, Jurrasic Park, etc). I'm not sure there was an original thought in that entire movie.

GTaylor

Gif Dude
Reaction score
Avery said:
'Signs' ending was hilarious too. I have an idea: let's invade a planet composed of 75% water which is the only thing that can kill us. Outstanding thought, gentlemen.

Kinda like Independence Day eh? Let's invade Earth with all this great technology that can repeal the human's most advanced weapons...but we'll leave our TCP ports wide open and allow a simple virus to take us down.

Avery

The Dog that Saved Charleston
Reaction score
I also thought of something else that was curious: since the machines were buried a million years ago or so, wouldn't today's alien technology been much more efficient and advanced? Why are they relying on such old technology for such an attack on a massive scale?

It would be like me trying to hack the FBI database on a Commodore 64 with a 9600 baud modem.

blindzebra

Reaction score
zagnut said:
Haven't seen War of the Worlds, but how can it steal from Independence Day? Independence Day seemed to steal from nearly every blockbuster movie ever. Heck, they even "paid homage" to several Spielberg movies (Jaws, Close Encounters, ET, Raiders, Jurrasic Park, etc). I'm not sure there was an original thought in that entire movie.

There was not, and there is not in War of the Worlds either.

Again, without too much detail:

There are a couple of Will Smith type moments and when we see the aliens they look a lot like the ones from ID, hmmm.

blindzebra

Reaction score
Avery said:
I also thought of something else that was curious: since the machines were buried a million years ago or so, wouldn't today's alien technology been much more efficient and advanced? Why are they relying on such old technology for such an attack on a massive scale?

It would be like me trying to hack the FBI database on a Commodore 64 with a 9600 baud modem.

Wouldn't the smart thing to do in Saving Private Ryan be to blow up the bridge and bring back Ryan BEFORE the Germans got there?

Smart but it does not make for a dramatic ending.

The tri-pods under ground allowed some cool effects, added the creepy factor, and made the Tim Robbins scenes work better.

trickblue

Not Old School...Old Testament...
Reaction score
I was very dissappointed in WoW...

The Tim Robbins character/interaction is bizarre at best...

This is rental material IMO...

Waffle

Not Just For Breakfast Anymore
Reaction score
Avery said:

.....:lmao2:

Or try...

10 Print "FBI Database"
20 Goto 10
30 End

Hoov

Reaction score
I saw the movie Sunday afternoon. I enjoyed it, but i like action movies with some cool special effects and whatever. loved the bridge coming apart and the tractor trailers flying through the air.

Anyway, not a personal favorite, but for something to do on a sunday afternoon it wasnt bad.