Ware is 8 sacks away...

Nav22

Reaction score
From 23 on the year. This would break Michael Strahan's single-season record of 22.5. And Strahan was handed the record by Brett Favre.

Let me start by saying that I realize it's a major long shot.

And yes, I realize we should be focused on winning games instead of individual statistics (since we all know the coaches and players read these threads and it affects their preparation).

But 8 sacks in 4 games is not out of the realm of possibility for this guy. He has twice recorded 3 sacks in a game this year. He only has one no-sack game. And even including THAT game, he has 9 sacks in his last 6 games.

Plus, I believe our putrid O minus Romo allowed teams to run more conservative game-plans against our D. More runs and shorter step drops by QBs. If our O keeps up the good work, teams will be forced to expose their QB to our pass rush for more plays than desired.

We have Pittsburgh next... their pass protection has been in shambles all year, with Big Ben playing the sitting duck role down to a T. If we shut down the run early, I smell a multi-sack game.

Perhaps THEN it would be appropriate to explore this topic.

But I'm bored... we haven't played in 4 days and still have another 5 to go, so I'm antsy. :D

BigDinAZ

Reaction score
Ben Rothlessberger is the second most sacked QB in the NFL (right behind Matt Cassel) with 33 sacks. I think Ware, Ratliff, Ellis, Spencer, Johnson can get a couple of sacks!!!

zeroburrito

Reaction score
Bob Sacamano;2456947 said:
it's not that long of a shot

it's only .75 sacks a game off his per game average

in other words, almost double.

RainMan

Makin' It Rain
Reaction score
I don't see the sack record falling, but it would appear he has an outside shot of getting 20 sacks (5 sacks over 4 games), which would be a pretty damn remarkable feat.

Dave the Sicilian

Reaction score
RainMan;2457013 said:
I don't see the sack record falling, but it would appear he has an outside shot of getting 20 sacks (5 sacks over 4 games), which would be a pretty damn remarkable feat.

I think the same but in any case it will be our franchise record I think :starspin

Everson24

Reaction score
Nav22;2456880 said:
We have Pittsburgh next... their pass protection has been in shambles all year, with Big Ben playing the sitting duck role down to a T. If we shut down the run early, I smell a multi-sack game.

Pittsburgh's pass protection has been much better the last few games. I dont see us getting a ton of sacks this game unless we get way up on them early (very unlikely). Big Ben is also very hard to bring down even if you get there in time. Expect a lot of frustration on Sunday.

pgreptom

Reaction score
If he notches 3 sacks in this game, it's possible.

If he doesn't, it'll be very hard. Philly doesn't give up a lot of sacks(Well, McNabb.) The Giants have a very good offensive line. Balitmore.. well, he might get a few.

I'd say he gets 6 more on the season.

Romo2Dez4six

Touchdown!!!!
Reaction score
i hope he gets them. Big Ben holds on to the ball to long for ware not to get there:)

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
I think Ware will get to 20 this year but I doubt, very seriously, he gets the record. He'd have to average 2 a game for the rest of the year and with the Giants and the Ravens bringing their good O-Lines in within the next month I just don't see him getting there. I think he'll get 5, maybe 6, in the last 4 games and get to 20 or 21 that way. Which is pretty darn great.

Primetime42

Reaction score
RainMan;2457013 said:
I'm not sure, but I think that would be the most ever by a 3-4 OLB.

If not, the only guy who did it would be LT.

Romo2Dez4six

Touchdown!!!!
Reaction score
maybe we can have a flashback from Nov. 20 1966 against Pitt and have the sacks in the game record with 12 and ware get 8 of them which would break 2 more records:laugh1:

adamknite

Reaction score
Dave the Sicilian;2457035 said:
I think the same but in any case it will be our franchise record I think :starspin

Ware already has the official* record, I believe. It was 14, he tied it last year.. beat it this year.

*The NFL only began to keep track of sacks in 1982. Harvey Martin had 23 in 1977, which to my knowledge is the unofficial team record.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
BraveHeartFan;2457210 said:
I think Ware will get to 20 this year but I doubt, very seriously, he gets the record. He'd have to average 2 a game for the rest of the year and with the Giants and the Ravens bringing their good O-Lines in within the next month I just don't see him getting there. I think he'll get 5, maybe 6, in the last 4 games and get to 20 or 21 that way. Which is pretty darn great.

Its funny because if Wade has this defense playing like this since game 1.... he probably has about 3 more sacks(then there are those near sacks on McNabb on others).

With that said... I could see him having a big game with 3 then a couple of 2's... needing only one ;)

Cowboys2008

Reaction score
Don't hold nothing back from Ware, this is his season. Most likely DPOY. On a potential Super Bowl team. This is the time careers are made for. As hungry as he is and the way he has been gaining steam, I'd put nothing past him. This record is highly feasible imo.